Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
* * * * - 2 votes

Dewsbury 11 Featherstone 10

Back to reality?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Does today's result show that our expectations have been to high? No doubt Dewbury played well, but have we been living in fantasy land?.

#2 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:16 PM

You lot did not take your chances you should at least gone for goal at least four times in the first half which would of put you 8 nil up.
Bad decisions by coaching staff and players you would of gone on and won the game if you would of gone for goal.

#3 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

We should have gone for 2 straight away. Dewsbury played outstanding today I was very impressed by the defending effort. We played well in defence as well it's  just a shame we didn't capitalise with 2 pointers. Watching the match and I could see that Fev had run out of ideas. I could see a lot of offside players in the Dewsbury line up but that doesn't matter now.

In the end good game worth the watch, only thing now is to beat Dewsbury at home ha ha.

#4 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Oh and who ever that man was with the ginger beard and glasses, you Sir are not a true supporter, I have never seen anybody leave a match 10 minutes before half time because "I've seen enough". Stop coming to matches you waste.

#5 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,143 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:39 PM

Oh and who ever that man was with the ginger beard and glasses, you Sir are not a true supporter, I have never seen anybody leave a match 10 minutes before half time because "I've seen enough". Stop coming to matches you waste.

Perhaps he was in disguise. Was the ginger beard attched to the glasses? Or maybe couldn't see his watch and should have gone to Specsavers

#6 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:42 PM

Good defensive game by both teams but we played first 30 in the Dewsbury half and couldn't score Why we think we are too good to take 2 points when they are on offer is beyond me I don't want to talk about the past but last year we had the best half back combination we let one go because Fev didn't want him and obviously one is injured but if they had played we would of created something near the line and been organised better

Anyway one game over a lot more to come we know we can attack aswell as defend because we have done it pre season with this team the coach has been given everything he needs at this level and his own players roll on next week

Well done Dewsbury Thackery made the difference you deserved to win

#7 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

get real the conditions were a leveller and dewsbury defended tirelessly. Its always a tough place to go the pitch is narrow and its just a slog up the middle. We made numerous mistakes and knock on's (lockwood made at least three) To start harping on about Liam Finn is ridiculous....

#8 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,018 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

All that possession, and all that territorial advantage first half, but seemingly a lack of imagination,and no one who seemed to be able to change the point of attack, just bish, bash, bosh up the middle all the time. Plus the speculative kicks to the wing that Dewsbury obviously saw coming, no one thought to put the kick on the ground.  And as has been said, with the clock standing on 40 (obviously a problem) we get a penalty under their sticks and opt to run the ball.

Second half, we score a try and instead of taking the kick-off and driving the ball in for 5 with a kick, we drop it first tackle and they eventually score.

Having said all of that, second half, despite several high tackles by Dewsbury, a blatant elbow in the face, and persistent off-side, we didn't get one penalty,whereas their second try came after a string of penalties.  Let's be honest, this season it really counts and we need to put matches to bed,

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#9 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,668 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

That doesn't wash that the conditions was a leveller We had no half backs on that field today that could match him and Andy Kain will walk back it the team get Bussy back in the pack he's an outstanding prospect in the right position The money that has been pumped into the club this season on players and the facilities Cambell and Co have built for the coaching staff and players should have us weeks in front of the rest

As I say its one match but one I expected this set up to win

#10 maisiesdad

maisiesdad
  • Facebook
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

We couldn`t break down their defense in the first half, we didn`t take the 2 points on offer on 3/4 occasions, our kicking game was poor and we didn`t have a plan b. We will be better on a dry pitch but today, thanks to their defensive effort, I reckon Dewsbury probably just about deserved it more than us. We`re still a new set of players playing together for the first time in a competitive match today, we are better than that no question! Let the rollercoaster begin!

#11 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Bussey got found out today and is not a 6 on that evidence - far far too slow shipping the ball out, Moore seemed to panic as well when we needed a cool steady head to keep us composed, our halves were not at the races today

Kain was a big miss just to make a break and create a chance

Only Matty James and Bostock can hold their heads high with regards to how well the forwards played

How we didnt score in the first half is beyond me we had that much ball and play

Condition of pitch definately a leveller - Dews wont get within 30 when we get them at home - scored 2 soft tries off the back of pens but created very little inbetween and looked as clueless as us when trying to break a team down, that said their defensive effort was magnificent and deserved the win just for that

Very disappointing after such a wonderful pre season but the last time we lost on opening day was in 2011 and it was our only defeat of the season and we won the lot so no need to worry just yet

Edited by elppaxr2i, 16 February 2014 - 06:18 PM.

#12 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

That doesn't wash that the conditions was a leveller We had no half backs on that field today that could match him and Andy Kain will walk back it the team get Bussy back in the pack he's an outstanding prospect in the right position The money that has been pumped into the club this season on players and the facilities Cambell and Co have built for the coaching staff and players should have us weeks in front of the rest

As I say its one match but one I expected this set up to win

we have no divine right to win games.....and conditions do play a part.
I am more annoyed that in the first half we had numerous penalties in their 20 and they keep ran them.....I think that did not show dewsbury the respect they deserved.

#13 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Pitch was definately a leveller as was constant off sides , which put pressure on our half backs , agree kain would have gave us that extra zip in this game , but no ones moaned after the 4 warm up games about our attack on a wider pitch so whats the knee jerk reaction on our half backs in aid of ?

#14 marko

marko
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:38 PM

Condition of pitch definately a leveller - Dews wont get within 30 when we get them at home - scored 2 soft tries off the back of pens but created very little inbetween and looked as clueless as us when trying to break a team down, that said their defensive effort was magnificent and deserved the win just for that                                                                                      think thats been pretty disrespectfull to the rams , pretty hard to look creative,when for 70% of the game you haven,t even got the ball ! Think your won,t get within 30 at your place,is a bit optimistic too. ,we,ve looked quite good pre season too . Think both teams will be top 4 this year.                                                                                                                                                                                         

#15 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Bussey got found out today and is not a 6 on that evidence - far far too slow shipping the ball out, Moore seemed to panic as well when we needed a cool steady head to keep us composed, our halves were not at the races today

Kain was a big miss just to make a break and create a chance

Only Matty James and Bostock can hold their heads high with regards to how well the forwards played

How we didnt score in the first half is beyond me we had that much ball and play

Condition of pitch definately a leveller - Dews wont get within 30 when we get them at home - scored 2 soft tries off the back of pens but created very little inbetween and looked as clueless as us when trying to break a team down, that said their defensive effort was magnificent and deserved the win just for that

Very disappointing after such a wonderful pre season but the last time we lost on opening day was in 2011 and it was our only defeat of the season and we won the lot so no need to worry just yet

Pitch had nowt to do with it. Your not exactly a team of Greyhounds. Coaching let you down today. Bastian had one thing in mind today, play it down the middle. Morrison picked a 17 with that in mind and it worked. Don't think Lockwood broke a tackle, Crossley did his usual backing in and Keegan Hirst, well is just Keegan Hirst. You missed Kain today, who frightens any opposing supporter when he gets the ball and you missed Finny. You'll regret having Moore at halfback, mark my words. Kicks a lovely ball, shapes his foot beautifully, that's after he's combed his hair, but that's about it. If it gets a bit messy out there you'll be lucky to see him

#16 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

It won't surprise many to know that I'm on Bastian's case from the off this season. I need him to win me over early on as I have never agreed with his appointment (Jobs for the boys) and inexperienced beyond Warrington and Leeds youth teams. He hasn't earned the job for me but he obviously deserves a chance.

Anyway onto to todays match, it felt very 2008 pre Powell. I'm not a fan of back rowers playing 6 and that's what Bussey is. The friendlies don't count for anything, Briggs or Kain must play there when available. The conditions were poor and its a very narrow pitch but the lack of creativity first half was alarming as we were camped in their 20 for about half an hour and barely ever looked like scoring. I don't want us to become an attritional team with back rowers at 6 and props at loose forward, I have really enjoyed our flair over the last 5 years. We need to bounce back starting with Halifax next week. Also was disappointed with Bastian's interview, said it was a great game of rugby, I think he underestimates the pressure and demand for results and performances on the back of our recent success and budget with that comment. That won't be near good enough this season, the top two finish is vital. I'm sorry the bloke sounds like a novice at this level so far.

The game went how I feared it would before the pre season games when we were obviously very good. The lads can be in the new gym as much as they want but skills execution and tactics on the field are massively important. I hope we don't become attritional robots we were today. Next week is a big game now, lets see how the coach and team respond. Credit to Dewsbury, they did very well and will be a good side this year.

#17 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 702 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:48 PM

Not a pitch to exactly play it wide on is it ? Agree with kain but finn no

#18 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

think thats been pretty disrespectfull to the rams , pretty hard to look creative,when for 70% of the game you haven,t even got the ball ! Think your won,t get within 30 at your place,is a bit optimistic too. ,we,ve looked quite good pre season too . Think both teams will be top 4 this year.                                                                                                                                                                                         

A justified comment in my opinion r.e not getting within 30 seen as in the returning fixture in the warmer months we put 60 on you last season and 50+ the season before that

We will see what happens though but recent history doesnt favour the rams being competitive at our place

Cant see you breaking the top 4 just yet, a comfortable playoff place for me, lets see if you can back it up week in week out first

Edited by elppaxr2i, 16 February 2014 - 07:06 PM.

#19 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,000 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

It won't surprise many to know that I'm on Bastian's case from the off this season. I need him to win me over early on as I have never agreed with his appointment (Jobs for the boys) and inexperienced beyond Warrington and Leeds youth teams. He hasn't earned the job for me but he obviously deserves a chance.

Anyway onto to todays match, it felt very 2008 pre Powell. I'm not a fan of back rowers playing 6 and that's what Bussey is. The friendlies don't count for anything, Briggs or Kain must play there when available. The conditions were poor and its a very narrow pitch but the lack of creativity first half was alarming as we were camped in their 20 for about half an hour and barely ever looked like scoring. I don't want us to become an attritional team with back rowers at 6 and props at loose forward, I have really enjoyed our flair over the last 5 years. We need to bounce back starting with Halifax next week. Also was disappointed with Bastian's interview, said it was a great game of rugby, I think he underestimates the pressure and demand for results and performances on the back of our recent success and budget with that comment. That won't be near good enough this season, the top two finish is vital. I'm sorry the bloke sounds like a novice at this level so far.

The game went how I feared it would before the pre season games when we were obviously very good. The lads can be in the new gym as much as they want but skills execution and tactics on the field are massively important. I hope we don't become attritional robots we were today. Next week is a big game now, lets see how the coach and team respond. Credit to Dewsbury, they did very well and will be a good side this year.

based on that, if you had been in charge, we would never have given a job to Peter Fox. give him a chance eh

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#20 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

based on that, if you had been in charge, we would never have given a job to Peter Fox. give him a chance eh

Lets see, let him watch his DVD this week first and see what his stats bloke says. Hope we bounce back next Sunday.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users