Dewsbury 11 Featherstone 10

Back to reality?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

On a muddier pitch, which was just as narrow and far worse weather conditions you won last year. We can play expansive rugby as well but today wasn't the day for it. Given all the rain, you might be playing on a few more muddy pitches.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 16 February 2014 - 07:26 PM.

#22 Conway91

Conway91
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

Let's just hope the rams make it as hard and put in as good a performance against the likes of Leigh, Fax and Sheffield. But then again Fev are 'the team to beat' this year and when your labeled as that, it gives others motivation, a reason to put in a better performance so they can say 'we beat fev'

It's the first game, we lost, it's not the end of the world, we lost games last year against much weaker opposition and we won the league.

I think because we have had such a good pre-season today's game was labelled as an easy win. Credit to the rams, they had a plan and stuck to it. Yes there were many occasions were the 'Ref' could have penalised them for being offside but didn't. They stifled us, we didn't get time on the ball and it resulted in a good win for Dewsbury.

We were not on top form and I'm glad that loss has come now and not at the end of the season when it was a must win game.

Onwards and upwards!
Effort is wasted reminiscing over past disappointments. Move onwards, move upwards.

#23 bigjohn

bigjohn
  • Coach
  • 977 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

It would seem we are not as good as we think we are, after all the pre season talk we had little idea,well done Dewsbury you came with a plan and it worked.

#24 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:38 PM

Love how people say the pitch was a problem. Well it was 13 against 13 we lost, they won so the pitch can't have been that bad if one team can play better on it.

#25 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

2011. We lost first game I believe away to Liegh or home can't remember. Didn't we then go on to win every league match?

#26 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 263 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

You lot did not take your chances you should at least gone for goal at least four times in the first half which would of put you 8 nil up.
Bad decisions by coaching staff and players you would of gone on and won the game if you would of gone for goal.

Agree 100% about going for goal. Poor decision which cost us in the end. IMO the lads looked jaded. They have had too many friendlies which were against good opposition. This, along with usual training, showed. Created very little from midfield. 90% possession and field position in first half and still could not breach the Rams defence, which although scrambling at times held firm. Not much flair in attack today..Expected more.

#27 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

Agree 100% about going for goal. Poor decision which cost us in the end. IMO the lads looked jaded. They have had too many friendlies which were against good opposition. This, along with usual training, showed. Created very little from midfield. 90% possession and field position in first half and still could not breach the Rams defence, which although scrambling at times held firm. Not much flair in attack today..Expected more.

Flair, lets hope those days aren't behind us. Hardman, Uaisele, Briggs/Kain all back in next week hopefully.

#28 budgiezilla

budgiezilla
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

final home league game of last season, Dewsbury beat us (Leigh), and fully deserved it. Their backs had a lot of pace, and Karl Pryce actually looked like a decent player !

Heard the 1st 30 minutes was ALL Fev, but you couldn't get over the 'try line'.

If you'd have got 'stuffed' I'd be worried, but a 1 point defeat !?

Edited by budgiezilla, 16 February 2014 - 08:04 PM.

#29 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:05 PM

Off side killed us today, Moore had absolutely no time on the ball and it never got to the wing all game. Thackeray had much more time with ball in hand in the second half.

One question. How can we be penalised for offside in our own in goal?
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#30 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:10 PM

team will do that when they know where the threat is.......Halifax did it in pre-season and will try and do it next week no doubt.
I think the offside you are referring to was when tommy failed to catch and it went forward to be caught by another one of our stood in front of him.

#31 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Yes and both were in goal, so cannot be off side. I think that resulted in a try against us.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#32 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:16 PM

ah right i was not aware from where I was sat that was the case

#33 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Quite a few times over the seasons I have said 'If there are two points available then take them'. On quite a few occasions the team have run the ball instead and scored a try and a conversion leaving me feeling a bit foolish as I had said it out loud on the terraces. Was today's criticism being wise after the event or were the conditions such a goal kick was obviously the option to take. In your opinion should we always take the two points?

#34 chappy9

chappy9
  • Players
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

been to the game today cracking game for first run out think both teams need a good 9 and 7 two bland need to create alot more than they did today all the best chappy xx

#35 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:28 PM

Have to agree take the points all the time Especially when we couldnt break there line to score for 30 minutes

Anyway it's gone now time for the team and coaching staff to sort it out and for everyone to turn up next week and cheers the team on against Fax

#36 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,859 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Great game today
And a pleasure to watch
And a good turnout by the good people
Of Featherstone

Personally I think today could be your best result of the season... Just the humbling you might need to win the league this season...everybody concerned will get a kick up the backside and make you more hungry,more clinical & most of all more respectful of the opposition.

Featherstone took a step back today
and I'm confident you'll bounce 3 steps forward from this.

Today was what rugby league is all about

:)

#37 Ponterover

Ponterover
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

Been saying for a couple of months that Dewsbury look like dark horses this year, they proved me right this afternoon.

Fantastic defensive effort, well deserved win today.

Hope Fev learn from today and go on to smash 'fax next week.

#38 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

Leatherbarrow is a poor ref and turns a blind eye when it suits; But hey he gave us four kickable penalties and we treated Dewsbury like we would a lowly amateur team; Give respect to the opposition 2 penalties equals one very hard earned try; Give us some zip next week..Sunley or Kainy; Well done Dewsbury your defence was excellent; You visited our line only about five times all the game and won great stuff;

#39 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,953 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

You can't knock any side beaten by such a fine defensive effort. Conditions weren't right for expansive rugby, as shown by the number of lost balls. The final penalty of the first half should have been converted to two points as by then it was obvious the score would be close. The earlier penalties could be excused, but why the reversal in the 2nd period, we didn't get a sniff of one in their half? I don't think the ref could be blamed, rather we burned ourselves out and lost our intensity in trying to break down their impenetrable defence.

Well done the Rams. 

#40 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:43 PM

Off side killed us today, Moore had absolutely no time on the ball and it never got to the wing all game. Thackeray had much more time with ball in hand in the second half.

One question. How can we be penalised for offside in our own in goal?

You cannot be offside in your own in goal area. Ref gave a forward pass. Ball was knocked forward and gathered and it doesn't matter that it was our own in goal area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users