Back to reality?

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#41 PurstonJavelin

PurstonJavelin
  • Coach
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:42 AM

Enjoyed my visit to Dewsbury. Thought the ground improvements looked good. It felt friendly and pleasant, and the admission prices were just about right. An excellent start to their season, and good luck to them. Their fans must have been delighted with their organisation and determination.

A tense and enthralling match. Defences were very good; Dewsbury just a bit more organised and secure than Rovers. Their half-backs outplayed the Rovers half-backs, and led their forwards well. Rovers forwards seemed handicapped by poor and badly co-ordinated ball supply. Rovers' inability to score with so much first half possession was worrying. Much of the season will be like this I expect – tense and nervous – the difference between success and relegation will be a matter of fine margins for most teams. And that includes Rovers. I think we'll be a running side and do well in good weather. But we can't get too many wrong.

But for me, the afternoon's entertainment was spoiled by the referee's constant and total failure to keep the defensive line onside at the play-the-ball. It reduces the room for the attack, and virtually eliminates opportunities for creative play, evasive running and the thrilling back-line ball movement which should be an essential part of Rugby League. And it must be a conscious decision; I cannot believe it is incompetence. Referees appear to have been instructed to orchestrate this aspect of the game with their voice, seemingly afraid ever to admit a penalty for defensive offside at the play-the-ball.

The continuing move by the sport towards referees choreographing the game to a proscribed and prescribed pattern is moving me closer and closer to ending my over fifty years of following rugby league.

My view only: most supporters are delighted with the high speed battering contests modern rule interpretations produce.

#42 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:16 AM

Didn't think it hit the ground.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#43 Bazzer

Bazzer
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:39 AM

The ball doesn't have to hit the ground for it to be a forward pass.

#44 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

You cannot be offside in your own in goal area. Ref gave a forward pass. Ball was knocked forward and gathered and it doesn't matter that it was our own in goal area.

If he gave a penalty, he didn't give it for a forward pass.  That'd be a drop out.

"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#45 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

I've heard some excuses in my time,narrow pitch,heavy under foot,rams being offside. Small pitch your coach played played straight into our hands play it down the middle,in my opinion you've probably about the best 2 wingers in the league in Sharpe & saxton but only time they saw the ball was when they were fielding kicks. The conditions were the same for both teams,in fact we probably dropped more ball than you. As for the offside I thought the ref was generous for both teams,you fail to mention crossley laying on,Hurst & Lockwood dropping in with elbows & knees! The thing is you won the penalty count,in fact 1st half 9_3 but you didn't go for at least 4 kickable goals you thought you could score a try that to me is a lack of respect on your part. Don't forget you've got all the so called "super star's" & a lot bigger playing budget & you couldn't beat poor old Dewsbury!!!

#46 bradford rover

bradford rover
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

nobody will beat poor old Dewsbury while your swinging round the oppositions neck

Edited by Maureen T-k, 18 February 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#47 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Laying on.....I thought the Dewsbury players had gone to sleep on top of our lads. Why do you think the ball never got yo the wings? The wingers would of had to be stood in the car park.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#48 ROVERS FOREVER

ROVERS FOREVER
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:54 PM

I noticed that everytime we got the ball we ran into middle. Don't know if this is because Dewsbury were offside and we had no other options or because their players are Supermen with super speed. I didn't see many opportunities for us to get ball to the wing.

Think the championship is the new Superleague after our pre-season performance.

Edited by ROVERS FOREVER, 18 February 2014 - 01:56 PM.

#49 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 720 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

The only way you could get an open ,expansive game on that pitch is by playing touchline to touchline

#50 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Like I say looking for excuses,I think both sides were guilty of those offences but I must admit makes a change the ref going against the so called better sides! Glad kain didn't play or Liam Finn, Gareth Moore your having a laugh!!

#51 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:39 PM

Like I say looking for excuses,I think both sides were guilty of those offences but I must admit makes a change the ref going against the so called better sides! Glad kain didn't play or Liam Finn, Gareth Moore your having a laugh!!

like i've said elsewhere, i saw your game against cas and i knew it wasn't gonna be easy. your defence was superb in both games, also your fitness and appetite for work. all that is going to make you very hard to beat. aprt from the result i enjoyed the game. Batley and Dewsbury are my 2 favourite away days.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#52 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 466 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for that oldrover,enjoyed the game thought the tackling from both teams was superb we had a game plan & stuck to it,unlike last season I know it might not be pretty at times. I think you'll win the competition & take your rightful place in super league, good luck for Sunday & rest of season!

#53 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Yes unfortunately we were unable to attract our former water carrier hemmingway and the usual one trick pony Thackeray.
Enjoy the win lets see if it can be repeated throughout the season and again at Post Office road Road.

#54 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,595 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Video highlights on Rams forum so you can watch the key moments again. It was the same ref for both sides, the penalty count was 9-8, the pitch was just as heavy and narrow for both sides.

Nine times out of ten Fev would have won a game like that, right at the end they were one pass away from winning. It could have gone either way, we shaded it, but come the end of the season Fev will finish above us.

#55 bradford rover

bradford rover
  • Players
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:55 PM

well done Dewsbury both teams had drop goal attempts you took urs we did not all the best for the rest of the season

#56 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:17 AM

Thanks for that oldrover,enjoyed the game thought the tackling from both teams was superb we had a game plan & stuck to it,unlike last season I know it might not be pretty at times. I think you'll win the competition & take your rightful place in super league, good luck for Sunday & rest of season!

Makes me smile people going on about game plans, there was no game plan from Dewsbury at all they just defended like there lives depended on it. Yes can just imagine the pre-match team talk "today lads the game plan is to defend" sorry it doesnt happen. Iv played on that pitch and there is no option other than playing down the middle. So to say bastian played into anyones hands is stupid lets not make out it was master tactics on Morrisons part. That 1st half was the best 40 mins of Rugby iv seen for a long time, Dewsburys defence was that good it was almost freakish, but i do think on another day Rovers would of won more comfortably. Can dewsbury carry on playing like that? i have my doubts but time will tell

#57 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,056 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:33 AM

i thought this season our fitness would be the difference in most games, but first game up we were matched all the way. perhaps it will tell as the season goes on.

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#58 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Lets face it first half we parked the bus.Played 19th century rugby.Then took you when you hadnt a clue what else to do. lol. see you at your place lads.

#59 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 337 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

wow....amazing what a win does.....now dewsbury fans believe they will now conquer all !! they still wont finish in top 4.....now run along

#60 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Who knows now what the season will be. York beat us last season at York. Look where they are now. Was it a one off against Dewsbury or will their season be a successful one. We also have doubts. After the pre season wins when we looked like SL material we now have to go back to the drawing board. Do you feel ET and the likes of Briggs and Kain will make a big difference? What of Smeaton he is back in training so I am told. All lack match pratice or will be climatising in the case of ET. So which way will we jump and will we have a remedy for heavy ground and tight defence. How about the little chip over the top. Would that have worked. Let's hope something is in the offing this weekend. Not the same game plan surely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users