Paul Cooke's Verdict

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Dons News

Dons News
  • Coach
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

Dons boss Paul Cooke spoke to the official website following Doncaster's 22-12 away win at Workington Town.

"For the first time in a long time I was nervous this morning and I was up early, it is a completely different situation to what I have been in before.

"When the guillotine falls on you, I think, have I done enough? Have I done the right things? Have we prepared well enough? Do the boys know enough about this team that we are playing? A little bit of doubt crept in, but thankfully we hung on there in the first half and turned it round with a solid performance in the second half, I thought we were fantastic.

"I was a bit concerned that we gave ourselves an opportunity and then gave Workington field possession with a penalty or a last tackle error .  We knew that if we got a lion share of possession we would be able to get on the top and thankfully that proved to be the case.

"We were delighted to be only 12-4 down at half time and something we spoke about as a group about was  hanging in there and staying patient.  We knew eventually the tide would turn and we would get an even share and do something with it.

"In the second half we were good, I thought we controlled the field position and the game really well and we did what we didn't do in the first half.

"We pinned them in their own end and asked them to go 100 metres and that was almost impossible in these conditions as the field was pretty heavy.

"We knew that if we controlled the field position and the possession then we would cause them problems and that was what proved to be.

"Stuart Sanderson took his two tries really well, but everybody had a decent knock today, there was couple of us not at the races and a one or two who were better than they have been in the pre-season friendlies.

"I thought it was a real team effort and I can't praise the boys who have come in on dual-registration on loan highly enough. 

"Jay Pitts was phenomenal and Joe Rundle showed some class touches and Dean Adley was defensively fantastic, we spoke about them and thanked them for their efforts.

"We are a tight knit group, we will move on to next week pretty quickly and forget about this one quite fast.

"We spoke a lot this pre-season about the start we had last season, we won two from eleven and that was not good enough, had we won a couple more of them we would have been closer to Batley and that is the aim for us, to start well.

"Coming up here today, to a difficult place on a heavy pitch against a big set we are delighted.

"However we go home next week and a performance like this that is really gritty and determined is no good if put a poor one in at the Keepmoat, so we will put this to bed pretty quickly, review on Tuesday and move on to Keighley."

View the full article

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users