Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Burgess

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

Confirmed his crosscode switch to union this morning! Massive loss for Rugby League.

Thoughts?

#2 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:35 AM

Cant blame him. Money talks, must be a hell of an offer to leave the Sydney lifestyle behind.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#3 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:52 AM

He wants to play in the RU world cup too.

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#4 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:32 AM

Cant blame him. Money talks, must be a hell of an offer to leave the Sydney lifestyle behind.

If the rumors are true 700k a year.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

Confirmed his crosscode switch to union this morning! Massive loss for Rugby League.

Thoughts?

Sam is a brilliant league player, but I can't for the life of me see where they are going to play him. Wrong build for a union prop, not really tall enough for second or back row, and not quick enough for centre. Andy Farrell was one of the league greats, but was pretty ordinary when he switched codes - can see it being a brief encounter. If they had offered the same money to Sam Tomkins, I reckon he would have taken it, and been a better bet.

#6 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:07 PM

He was on a massive contract at Souths and in line for more as the money rolls in to the NRL. the only attraction is to feature more in the fawning UK media and to rub shoulders with a much nicer class of people.

RL nurtured him, Souths and Russell Crowe cossetted him, but he still wants the shiny toys on offer - forget him (just like Eastmond, Farrell, Ford, Tomkins etc.), he's gone to the other side and lost for good.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#7 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:05 PM

Disgusted to be honest. What's he going to do, swap back for next RL World Cup?

#8 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 749 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Disgusted to be honest. What's he going to do, swap back for next RL World Cup?

Why are you?
Because the lad wants to try something new and play in another wc and then come back to league? Good on the lad doing our area proud with his other brothers i'm sure mark will be proud on them all

#9 cally

cally
  • Players
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

good luck to sam in his new venture but personally I don,t think he will enjoy the dark side as much as league. as he quite simply won,t see the ball anywhere near what he is used to

#10 windogs

windogs
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Why are you?
Because the lad wants to try something new and play in another wc and then come back to league? Good on the lad doing our area proud with his other brothers i'm sure mark will be proud on them all

If he's just gone to play in the World Cup (which is next year) then why the 3 year deal? Those 3 years he'll be in his prime.

#11 London Dick

London Dick
  • Coach
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

I'm struggling to work out how big a loss he will be. He's been playing in Australia since 2010 which is only seen on Premier Sport and has made 13 appearances in last 5 years for England and has often been missing with injury for internationals. I can't remember beating the Aussies with him playing.

He might be in his prime now but what you don't have you can't miss. It's still not going make me want to cheer for England in Union.
"If you want us to be the best and if you want us to beat the rest, a BISSA donation is what we need"

#12 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

I'm struggling to work out how big a loss he will be. He's been playing in Australia since 2010 which is only seen on Premier Sport and has made 13 appearances in last 5 years for England and has often been missing with injury for internationals. I can't remember beating the Aussies with him playing.

He might be in his prime now but what you don't have you can't miss. It's still not going make me want to cheer for England in Union.

Seems to be a common feeling amongst many league followers that Dick. Personally, I can't stand football, but when they put an England shirt on I'm still rooting for the players big style - but then I do  put my love of my country above personal prejudice. ;)  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users