Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Can we top 2,000 v Whitehaven?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

After yesterday's big crowd, although helped by a good fev following it got me thinking, why can't we top 2,000 again in 2 weeks time against Whitehaven? Obviously it will be difficult but not impossible. I think the Saturday before the home match with Whitehaven will be a good opportunity to go into the town and dish out the flyers. Get roger, volunteers, afew players and cheerleaders down there and let's promote our wonderful club the day before the Whitehaven match? Also if everyone can set a target of bringing a new mate to the game next week this will help, we can all do our bit to get the crowds up and get the lads the support they deserve. Plenty of good things happening this year at the club, on and off the pitch. Getting over 2,000 against Whitehaven isn't impossible, so let's all set outselves a target to bring a new fan or fans to the next home match. We can do it! Discuss???

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 February 2014 - 04:22 PM.

#2 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Let's get it advertised on Facebook ,twitter website, emails ect that we're targeting a 2,000 crowd and spread the word of the rams. We can do it, believe me!

#3 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 781 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

For social media. Probably better nearer the time.

2mhbdkk.jpg

#4 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Changed to Whitehaven, got the wrong club. I agree tom and like the poster! We can all do our bit as fans by talking up the club and bringing a mate to the game. It could also be worth mentioning that the rams are the cheapest ticket price wise in rugby league, won't get cheaper then 13 pounds in. What does the club and Robyn say to promoting the club in town and dishing out them flyers a day before our next home game?

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 February 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#5 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,058 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

After yesterday's big crowd, although helped by a good fev following it got me thinking, why can't we top 2,000 again in 2 weeks time against Whitehaven? Obviously it will be difficult but not impossible. I think the Saturday before the home match with Whitehaven will be a good opportunity to go into the town and dish out the flyers. Get roger, volunteers, afew players and cheerleaders down there and let's promote our wonderful club the day before the Whitehaven match? Also if everyone can set a target of bringing a new mate to the game next week this will help, we can all do our bit to get the crowds up and get the lads the support they deserve. Plenty of good things happening this year at the club, on and off the pitch. Getting over 2,000 against Whitehaven isn't impossible, so let's all set outselves a target to bring a new fan or fans to the next home match. We can do it! Discuss???

Why not indeed DTID - lest be positive!

(Although I don't know where I'm going to get a new mate from - my old ones keep disappearing as it is :( )

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#6 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'm sure we can all bring one new mate atleest? The clubs on the up and any new fans who turn up and watch the games from now on will surely come back

#7 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I was impressed with your ground improvements; The scoreboard looked great too (especially when it had Fev leading 8-0); Seriously though it was really impressive with the player profiles; Hope you get the 2000 in your next game; Crowds are generally up throughout the game; According to the press yours was up 63per cent on last seasons encounter; It may be a tad ambitious to achieve this against Whitehaven but good luck anyway;

#8 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

For social media. Probably better nearer the time.

2mhbdkk.jpg

I organised a flyer / kids ticket distribution in town centre about 2002, with supporters, cheerleaders and Roger turned up, sponsored by Eric Box and someone asked if it was a promotion for the funeral director! Like a funeral director would have a mascot!

Any promotion or marketing is always worthwhile if it does not cost a lot. How effective it is, is harder to judge but companies don't spend millions on advertising for nothing.

Organise some flyers / kids tickets with the club - this is the most important bit and was the biggest hassle to be honest, hopefully it would be better now.
Contact the cheerleaders
Contact Roger
Contact the Reporter and the Press for some photos ( Reporter did not turn up when we did it)
Use social media to rope in some fans
Choose a time - suggest 10am in the Town Centre. We started at McDonalds went thru town round the market and back to the bus station. 11am is peak shopping time on a Saturday.
1-1.5 hours should be plenty.

Edited by Wakefield Ram, 17 February 2014 - 06:53 PM.

#9 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:40 PM

Well I'm in to help if needed and imsure others will help too. Just need the club to give it a go ahead

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 February 2014 - 07:41 PM.

#10 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Maybe we could get Andrew hunt from the reporter to do a page on how the club are trying to get a big crowd to the next home game. That would help, more people that are aware the better

#11 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 211 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 10:33 PM

I organised a flyer / kids ticket distribution in town centre about 2002, with supporters, cheerleaders and Roger turned up, sponsored by Eric Box and someone asked if it was a promotion for the funeral director! Like a funeral director would have a mascot!

Any promotion or marketing is always worthwhile if it does not cost a lot. How effective it is, is harder to judge but companies don't spend millions on advertising for nothing.

Organise some flyers / kids tickets with the club - this is the most important bit and was the biggest hassle to be honest, hopefully it would be better now.
Contact the cheerleaders
Contact Roger
Contact the Reporter and the Press for some photos ( Reporter did not turn up when we did it)
Use social media to rope in some fans
Choose a time - suggest 10am in the Town Centre. We started at McDonalds went thru town round the market and back to the bus station. 11am is peak shopping time on a Saturday.
1-1.5 hours should be plenty.

I'm here Wakefield Ram. I've been intending on dropping down into the town at some point myself. Also I have a stack of flyers that Robyn gave me to hand out while am down there. She as more at the club I think she had a few thousand run off.

Edited by RogerTRam, 17 February 2014 - 10:41 PM.

#12 mountieman21

mountieman21
  • Players
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:11 PM

One win and you are dreaming of Super League.Calm down for God' sake. 2000 against Whitehaven.Jog on.

#13 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:26 PM

I do have to agree with mountieman
We played the best supported team in the league from 15 miles down the road on the first game of the season..

And now talking of emulating a similar crowd for a relegation bound team that's over 200 miles away... I don't wanna pizz on ya bonfire lads.... But

Reality check.... A bad result against Rochdale and well be luck to pull 900 against Whitehaven.

Enthusiasm is fantastic... Even me and BSJ
We're happy yesterday... But

The higher you go... The bigger the bump when you fall

I'll be happy with 1000 and a few new faces against Whitehaven...

Little steps people,little steps

#14 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Wev nothing to lose trying to get more fans in! I never said we will get 2,000. Infact I doubt we will but it isn't impossible. Ardly dreaming of superleague wanting to attract new fans! Who said were dreaming of superleague? All I said is if every home fan who went Sunday brought a new fan to next match, which we all could do we could top 2,000. On top of a promotion day in town the day before the Whitehaven match. If the club continue to perform like we are doing on and off the pitch, the club deserve 2,000 every home game, if not more! If keighley can top 1100 against Whitehaven( like they did Sunday) i'm sure we could atleest beat that crowd. !

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 17 February 2014 - 11:56 PM.

#15 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:06 AM

First games of the season are always well supported

After fans have seen their teams kicked around the field a few times, they simply fall off

Building bit by bit
We've some poorly supported games coming Whitehaven & Worthington
Combinded your looking at 1600-1800 tops
I think getting 2500 combined for the 2 fixtures would be a more fair target

Edited by coolie, 18 February 2014 - 12:06 AM.

#16 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

True coolie but nothing wrong with aiming high. I'd be happy with any crowd over 1,000 for both games but Way the clubs going forward on and off it, and with promotion back and more excitement in the sport again I reckon we can improve our fan base if we work at it. After all, isn't this the reason why Robyn was appointed marketing manager. Plenty of positives at the club with the new stand, scoreboard, development and better squad this season, plus the email I got about getting a stage and picnic area up behind the southstand for local bands to play on match days.. Stuff like this will only enhance people's match day experience and help get fans back to games if they try us out.

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 18 February 2014 - 12:16 AM.

#17 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

There is a buzz that is true
First we have to win back the life long fans we lost over the short term... And we lost a few I can tell you.. Then we have to attract the New supporter... Then we have to get the kids interested 3 steps... The better the results the greater chance of succeeding in any of the 3 steps
Even when we had the great team of 1999-2000.. The crowds wasn't massive and we increased our core base very little... And they soon dropped off when the wheels fell off, yeah Dewsbury population has grown.. But unfortunately.. The population that's grown the most is more interested prayers than Rugby league... So building their support would be a none starter.

It's families that's needed mum Dad 2 kids
it costs a arm and a leg to do anything with a family nowadays... That's where we need to target... It's a long term investment.. No point trying to get uncle Albert back after 50 years of not coming

Target the younger generation and build upwards... We have to make the lads celebrities in the schools

But to do all this... You've to have a good product on the field...

Edited by coolie, 18 February 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,595 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

One win and you are dreaming of Super League.Calm down for God' sake. 2000 against Whitehaven.Jog on.

Nothing to do with you though is it mountieman ? Last year we didn't beat a top five side in the league, and got turned over by one of the near bottom finishers twice, so I think we are entitled to show some enthusiasm on our own forum, for what has been a terrific start (loss to the dogs apart). Maybe you'd like to point out which poster mentions SL, only I've trouble finding it. You might be surprised to know that many of us will be happy just finishing in the top eight, with every place above that a bonus - BUT, the result on sunday and the manner of that victory, has left supporters optimistic (for once) and enthusiastic, which would be better encouraged, than patronised by the likes of you. No, of course we aren't going to get 2000, or anyway near that, but there's no harm in it being a target - however optimistic. Now take your own advice. 8)  

#19 Wilsden Ram

Wilsden Ram
  • Coach
  • 225 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Well said GOR.

Perhaps mountieman21 has nothing positive to post about his own club? (whoever they are).

#20 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I personally think the club should use his quote as motivation to try reach 2,000, then we can all laugh at his comment! Maybe a hint of jealousy from him??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users