Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sierra Leone Rugby League (Merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Luxembourger

Luxembourger
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:05 PM

http://awoko.org/201...agnus-campbell/

#2 bbfaz

bbfaz
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Sometimes I read these articles and wonder if they come from that country's version of the Daily Mash.

Beckenham Bears RL - Rugby League in South East London

#3 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 587 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Nice to see inaccuracies in our favour for a change.

#4 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:39 PM

Let's hope something comes of this.

#5 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 April 2014 - 08:58 AM

Wales Rugby League development manager Mark Jones made his long awaited return to Sierra Leone recently.  As part of a funded mentoring partnership, he spent a second, ten day stint promoting and coaching the sport in the country.

“I first travelled there in April 2013 as part of a fact-finding mission co-funded by the Welsh Assembly and UK Sport International,” he said on his return. "Ten months after the project launch we received the go ahead for phase two of the project, and I was fortunate enough to be asked to revisit to impart as much knowledge as possible to Magnus O’Reilly Campbell, the community coach in the capital Freetown.”

Jones – who took over donated kit and balls– went into schools, colleges and clubs to help capitalise on the interest shown since his first visit.

“Sierra Leone is one of the poorest countries in the world and rugby league is the first full contact sport they have ever experienced. It was evident how much they adored the physicality and confrontation it provides.”

“A week’s continuous training with the Lions Warriors culminated on the last day with a full 13-a-side game.  Refereeing, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratification as everyone’s hard work came to fruition in an outstanding match, the first of many to come,” he added. “Each player was presented with a t-shirt and shorts kindly donated by Cardiff Spartans RLFC and Wales Rugby League. The captain was given training equipment, again donated by WRL, so they can continue to train in our absence.”

Jones went on to coach at three schools, Ayoub International Junior School, the Grammar School - which is the highest ranked academic school in Sierra Leone - and Prince of Wales School, set on top of a mountain in the heart of Freetown.

He noted, “Magnus continued to grow in confidence as he spent more time delivering sessions on his own in both Creole and English.”

“During a trip where I did not touch a blade of grass, I left the country knowing the development of rugby league in Sierra Leone will continue. Magnus was given knowledge, equipment and resources to progress with the good work done and will be constantly supported by Wales Rugby League.”

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#6 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 06:40 AM

You can read the full story in South Wales Rugby League Magazine in issues 1-3. http://www.scorpions...s/Article/32938

About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#7 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

Rugby League development officer in Sierra Leone, Magnus Campbell, is convinced that the sport can take off in the country.

Already, and in concert with Wales Rugby League, there have been sessions in schools and a growing interest at club level, and there is a real desire in the country to learn and improve.

“I am excited about the development of rugby league here,” said Campbell speaking from the capital Freetown.

“I will do all I can for Sierra Leone to be among the world rugby league nations, there is a lot to learn and pass on to achieve a good standard but the players here are very keen. We are open and ready for good coaching and training to improve this new sport in our nation that will impact lives.”

“Sierra Leone was known as a violent nation," Campbell continued, "due to our eleven year civil war which made mercenaries of so many young people and created a violent culture.  It has always been the dream of young people here to be involved in activities that will engage them, especially sport.”

“Rugby league, with all its qualities and physical nature fits that perfectly, and it is has drawn the attention of the national Government.”

Remond Safi, the Rugby League European Federation Middle East Africa Regional Director added, “There are exciting times ahead as the game begins to spread across MEA. I look forward to working with all our nations  to take the sport to the next level in the region.”

PHIL CAPLAN

RLEF MEDIA OFFICER

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt