Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds fans trust

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

Poll: Roughyeds fans trust (29 member(s) have cast votes)

would you become a member

1. yes (21 votes [72.41%])

Percentage of vote: 72.41%

2. no (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:51 AM

after months thinking about it and several hours scribbling on a A4 pad this is the basics of the idea..

AIM

To own 25-49% of ORLFC to help chris hamilton run ORLFC on and off the field (ie whitebank)

members

for a £20 a month / £240 a year trust membership subscription,members receive...

-  a season ticket

-  representation on the ORLFC board

voting rights

-  monthly general meetings (MGM's)

-  social events (quiz nights,club trips to magic,challange cup etc)

-  supporters clothing (polo shirt or hoodie)

-  priority coach seat for away games

-  free entry into a quarterly lottery

so would you become a member? 

is this a good idea?

could it work?

depending on the response here i'll seek talks with ORSA & RO about coming on board,getting their advice etc.... and contact supporters direct ( http://clubdevelopment.coop/ ) about the correct way to do this , they recently help the hunslet hawks trust,who now own 56% of the hawks..

discussion welcomed

Edited by roughyedspud, 18 February 2014 - 12:18 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#2 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

I'd appreciate the option of various levels. For example, living where I live, the season ticket if not an option, but would possibly contribute for reduced options. Say Bronze, Silver, Gold membership.

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

that's defo a option...

OLDHAM RLFC

#4 Progman

Progman
  • Coach
  • 319 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

Hunslet have a bronze silver gold membership named after x players there's Evan a junior one named after the mascot

#5 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

spud....one key question why would CH give up a percentage of the club?

#6 boro hornet

boro hornet
  • Coach
  • 772 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:07 AM

Is rugby Oldham not a supporters trust, if it is you need to check with Supporters Direct as I think they only back one trust at a club. The way forward is supporter's trusts with full or part ownership. If you could start by getting an elected representative on to the board it's a good start.
Success does not consists in never making blunders,but in never making the same one the second time.

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:43 AM

spud....one key question why would CH give up a percentage of the club?

cos I don't think hes in a position to turn it down.

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

on the subject of different levels of membership...

what I think we should try to avoid is the potential for "I'm more of a member than you" factions to develop...

but yeah at this stage all options are on the table..

OLDHAM RLFC

#9 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:37 AM

Its patently obvious that the present model of ORLFC is in scrape by and survive mode and has been since Bill Quinn withdrew...the perennial re invention of the wheel by the RFL isnt helping Oldham, nor is the way that the RFL is channeling the income from SKY largely for the "Elite" to trouser.
Then there is the other issue of course...It happens to be the title of this topic!
And my opinion is that that five lettered word will simply not be re established whilst this club continues "doing business" in its current format.

#10 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

Personally would want to avoid some of the problems Latics have encountered. It is great that they have a seat on the board, but at 3%, they do not get  a say in anything- not sure that was the best negotiation.

But clearly CH is not going to give up a major slice. Anyone on the Board (that will be very difficult to obtain would need to be very good at communications, but also negiations and reserve the tub thumping as a last resort.

And have a clear remit as representing the fans.

I think that the cash up front rather than steady stream carries massively more clout. People will inevitably cancel the subscription.

In my view, it would be worth waiting 6 months, say, and have more cash to offer CH.

What are your realistic numbers?

Would you want the money ring fenced for Whitebank development?

Not saying answers now, and maybe the subscribers decide.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Is rugby Oldham not a supporters trust, if it is you need to check with Supporters Direct as I think they only back one trust at a club. The way forward is supporter's trusts with full or part ownership. If you could start by getting an elected representative on to the board it's a good start.

Rugby oldham should have been the trust im describing from the get go...

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

I contribute regularly to ORSA but I would happily supporter a supporters trust.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#13 RunItOffAfi

RunItOffAfi
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

This may seem off topic, but I don't think it is. I see, from the Swinton message board, that Koukash's attempt to take them over and build them a new stadium appear dead in the water, given that his deadline for Salford City Council to approve his stadium plans passed last Friday, with no positive news. With all due respect to the posters above, at this point, shouldn't CH be in the ear of Dr Koukash, to get him to come back to us. Surely, his way in to t'Latics is to take us over, build us a stadium, get the right players in and have us lording it, in a few years time, at the top echelons of the Championship, with ambitions for SL. Those sorts of achievements would surely give him the credibility, in the eyes of t'Latics, that he can match achievements to his talk. Will it happen? With a chairman who has the best interests of the future development of the club at heart, it could. With our chairman, I won't hold my breath. What do others think?

#14 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

Marwan may be on the horns of a dilemma as Sale Sharks are not altogether enjoying life (it would appear) in the AJ Bell stadium, even to the extent of casting an eye back at Stockport! Maybe Swinton and Salford twinned at the above has mileage in the future. I can understand Salford City Council being nervous re Stadia as there are indeed big issues with access and egress at AJ Bell...on top of the simply rum odour when the north easterlies blow! Neither issue is a "cheap fix!"

Edited by eclecticsheep, 19 February 2014 - 05:49 PM.

#15 mackin89

mackin89
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:08 PM

A fans trust is a good idea but would CH part with his stake? Added to this rugby Oldham and Orsa both dont have ambitions to take a stake in the club (Do Correct me if I am wrong). If an attempt was made to take a stake we would need clear direction, unity and leadership for negotiations at present I can't see that.

Again not to go off topic, everyone knows the club is skint and I take my hat off to the numerous volunteers who keep the club going. But the club needs to get with the times. Poor website (the design not those who contribute) which could be a great place to promote the club to a casual fan. All other clubs sites at our level put us to shame. Then there is the merchandise non existent shirts at start of each season...

Finally the use of social media could be implemented much better twitter and facebook in conjuction with colleges and businesses. Get the club out there in peoples thoughts. Controlled by the fans we could add impact on these issues.

#16 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 684 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Swinton Supporters Trust have 20% stake in the club

Mr Kidd has 20 % stake

Mr Koukash  has 20%stake

40% available for investment.

RFL has asked the supporters trust to run the club, you only paid member of staff (apart from players) is a guy in the office, The club is pretty much run by volunteers from the supporters trust. I understand most of the assisting coaching staff are not paid. Warrington Wolves have supplied stats staff but from what I here they are only interested in the loanee wolves players.

I support a trust but it is not a venture to be entered into lightly.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#17 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I'm all for a change in the club with more fan involvement and have voted for it in the poll but no matter what situation the club is in I can't see CH relinquishing some of the power he has.  He doesn't have to do anything at all no matter how much support is drummed up into a trust,  Its a desperately sad situation because the club really needs some fresh direction and impetus.

#18 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:14 PM

It's also sad and shows the apathy amongst fans when this positive thinking thread has had 450 views and only 11 people voted yes to the poll.

#19 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

It's also sad and shows the apathy amongst fans when this positive thinking thread has had 450 views and only 11 people voted yes to the poll.

Am sure that its not 450 individual visitors. I think I have had a look 4 times. Bt yes, I agree you would hope for more participation.

#20 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 699 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:48 PM

Yeah of course Singe but I would have hoped for more too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users