League Express Digital-Only Easter Edition Out Now!

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds fans trust

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

Poll: Roughyeds fans trust (28 member(s) have cast votes)

would you become a member

1. yes (21 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. no (7 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Too be fair i dont think that many people actually contribute to the forum, The only way to gauge true support for this is to put it out to the wider population, ie the Chron, word of mouth etc, a poll on a website is useless. Only registered users of TRL can see it. Therefore probs everyone who is has voted. Apathy from fans also is shown by the lack of attendances at ORSA events and testimonials, not to mention matches. If the idea has legs it need promoting so people are aware of it, not just on the forum.

#22 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:40 AM

when's the next ORSA get together?

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#23 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:21 AM

revised membership options

premium plus   (gold)

for a £20 a month / £240 a year trust membership subscription,members receive...

-  a season ticket

-  representation on the ORLFC board

voting rights

-  free admission to reserve games

-  monthly general meetings (MGM's)

-  social events (quiz nights,club trips to magic,challange cup etc)

-  supporters clothing (polo shirt or hoodie)

-  priority coach seat for away games

-  free entry into a quarterly lottery

premium (silver)

for £15 a month / £180 a year trust membership subscription,members receive...

-  a season ticket

-  representation on the ORLFC board

voting rights

-  free admission to reserve games

-  monthly general meetings (MGM's)

-  social events (quiz nights,club trips to magic,challange cup etc)

supporter of trust (bronze)

for £10 (kids,oaps) , £20 (adults) per year members receive

- social events  (quiz nights,club trips to magic,challange cup etc)

ive had a few messages about the cost of membership compared to other schemes...all i can say is a majority of the clubs with schemes already have a ground,facilities,dressing rooms,hot showers etc....we have a ploughed field on waste ground..we need the financial clout to be able to achieve  what needs to be done.....

and personally i think 200 members is a fairly conservative number..i think double or triple that will get behind this..especially if ORSA & RO come on board.. 

Edited by roughyedspud, 20 February 2014 - 10:12 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#24 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

oldham roughyeds fans trust domain name purchased

www.orft.co.uk 

OLDHAM RLFC

#25 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Need to walk before you can run, CH needs to be sounded out first as to wether or not he'd be interested in negotiations about shares. Without his cooperation it's a non starter, personally I think he has got such a cushy number going that he wouldn't entertain it.

#26 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:10 AM

it was only £6 so i bought it just in case it went..

he'll still be on a "cushy number" even if the trust has 25%...

OLDHAM RLFC

#27 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Need to walk before you can run, CH needs to be sounded out first as to wether or not he'd be interested in negotiations about shares. Without his cooperation it's a non starter, personally I think he has got such a cushy number going that he wouldn't entertain it.

I admire everyone's spirit, but unfortunately, lalar has bit the bullet and hit the nail on the head. If CH wasn't interested in a guy like BQ holding one of the reins, a guy who had a shed load of money, what chance has an infant organisation like the one you are proposing, who, at then moment, doesn't have a pot to p*ss in.

CH will never gift you, or even sell you 25% on the premise you will buy the rest over time (what happens if you go bust). 

The question you need to ask yourself is: What is CH's record on co-operation with any person or organisation, pretty much nil.

Sorry guys, unless you get an alternative benefactor your stuck with what you have.

Wish you all the luck in the world. 

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#28 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

The question you need to ask yourself is: What is CH's record on co-operation with any person or organisation, pretty much nil.

my hope is he recognises he's not work with any person...or any organisation...he's working with OLDHAM FANS....

fans that have propped this club up..

im trying to get a meeting sorted....failing that i'll doorstop him at our first home game on the 9th

OLDHAM RLFC

#29 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Roughyedspud - I am sure someone mentioned earlier, Supporters Direct only allow one trust per club. Rugby Oldham have nearly 500 live members, and has the largest membership of all the Rugby League Supporters Trust. In fact there are few of the football ones with more members.

#30 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

which is exactly why i want to talk with Rugby oldham

OLDHAM RLFC

#31 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

I would want Chris to talk with Rugby Oldham, after all it is his baby...but I would also expect an impasse as inevitable and predictable for the "facts and figures" would be necessary whoever was looking to invest and we all realised some time ago that this is a frustrating sticking point no matter what good intentioned fans would deeply desire to do for the club, It leaves you in no doubt where the problem lies though!
It wouldn`t make even common sense to me if RO "helped" with the terracing floodlighting, showers etc without a clear picture of the financial state and liabilities of the club...What I would do is pursue Mr Rimmer and Co at the RFL about putting some pressure on the PLC to achieve a minimum standard, reporting to them the inadequacies of floodlighting, showering facilities and the zero amount of work to achieve minimum standards and asking them straight what they intend to do to make ORLFC plc comply.
But Rugby Oldham have never wanted to run the club and Chris has some strengths in the Game, he knows his way around it so to speak.
Its a position of impasse really, the anxiety is if chris didnt run it things could be even worse on the one hand, and on the other the long term realisation that his favourite song is a frank sinatra one, and he isnt prepared to change it no matter how we blow and bluster (and some would probably beg). but if he did then new life and real progress could happen at Oldham I believe!

#32 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Eclecticsheep, read this mate http://www.rugbyoldh...r-April-13-.pdf seems like talks or lack of stalled, the question i ask now is why is CH not accepting the monies for ground improvements? There is no mention of any shares or owt in the club for the improvements, needs CH to tell us the truth why this terracing etc has not happened and if the good of the club truly is his aim then why is he not accepting such help. Apart from the usual anti CH stuff this is worrying, why is the Chairman hamstringing the club this way? Its getting more bizarre by the day.

#33 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

Supporters Direct works in over twenty European countries, across football, rugby league, rugby union, and ice hockey.

We promote the value of supporter community ownership at sports clubs, and aim to create the conditions in which supporters can secure greater influence and ownership at their clubs.

In the UK alone, there are over 30 sports clubs owned by their communities.

- See more at: http://www.supporter...h.kRpi4KjU.dpuf

Supporter Owned Clubs

England
AFC Telford United
AFC Wimbledon
Brentford
Cambridge City
Chesham United
Chester FC
Enfield Town
Exeter City
Fisher FC
Hendon FC
Lewes FC
Newport IOW FC
Prescot Cables
Runcorn Linnets
Scarborough Athletic

Wales
Merthyr Town FC

Scotland
Clydebank FC
Gretna FC
Stirling Albion FC

Ireland
Bohemian Football Club
Cork City
Galway United
Shamrock Rovers
Sligo Rovers

Germany
All clubs in Germany are supporter-owned,

FC Lokomotive Leipzig
FC Schalke 04
FC St. Pauli
SV Hamburg

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#34 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Two threads seem to be covering a single topic so I will try to answer points raised in both in this posting. 

Firstly, as Chairman of Rugby Oldham I find it ironic that for a long time after the formation of Rugby Oldham we were castigated on this very forum for (incorrectly) wishing to take over the running of ORLFC and find that now we are being asked to do just that wholly or in part. I would refer everyone to our website (just google Rugby Oldham) which sets out our aims and objectives. In addition all our Newsletters are published and set out the progress or otherwise of our relations with ORLFC over the years. These will help you judge for yourselves where we stand.

Nevertheless I am grateful to 'roughyedspud' for raising the issues he has and hope we can make some progress. If any of you wish to sign up to Rugby Oldham Supporters Trust I would encourage you to do so (download and complete a form from the website) and should you wish to become a Board member you could stand for election at the AGM which will be held in May. We would welcome new blood and I will keep you posted on this forum about when nominations are required plus the date and venue of the AGM.

I would point out that Rugby Oldham is a co-operative abiding by strict regulations and is a recognised member of Supporters Direct. As has been said only one Supporters Trust can be recognised by Supporters Direct. I have personally attended many Supporters Trust meetings and have undergone training at some of their seminars.

We share peoples' frustration with the current situation regarding professional rugby in the town. As a result much of our work has been done to promote amateur and junior rugby and, of late, to help with promoting rugby via Mahdlo youth centre. However, I would point out that we have an ongoing commitment with ground development, though without progress on this front we can do nothing. As regards a 'Ground Development Fund' we offered to create such in a meeting with Chris Hamilton but he said that he would launch his own GDF when appropriate.

With regard to ORSA I would say that there are no 'feuding factions' (a phrase used in one posting) as far as Rugby Oldham are concerned. ORSA have different objectives to RO and we fully support what they are trying to achieve. I had a relationship of mutual respect with Nigel and hope the same is true with Sheila, Grant and Paul. At one stage we did invite ORSA to merge with us but I respect their right to decline.     

As for a shareholding in ORLFC RO is neutral on the issue of ownership. We recognise that CH and SW own the club but would look at any proposal to sell shares or issue new ones. However, I wonder if the proposal to obtain a 25% shareholding would also mean shouldering 25% of any debt. Additionally it may mean being legally responsible for the financial probity of the club, a problem encountered by BQ.

RO has organised a number of initiatives - dinners, merchandise - in the past and we are currently working on a big event for September which we hope will be attractive to the town's rugby community, especially as we want to incorporate something for Neil Roden's benefit. 

I will be happy to respond to any postings on this forum and if 'roughyedspud' and/or others wish to meet I am sure this can be arranged.

Sorry to go on. Best wishes to all Roughyed fans.

• SINGE and roughyedspud like this

#35 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 185 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for that Geoff,, very imformative piece that. As for fueding factions i was actually referring to the fans, some of which are pro CH, some vehemently anti CH etc, in no way was it suggesting that the RO and Orsa associations had any disputes or anything of that ilk. Just as a point i actually support Saddleworth in the amateur game, i just wondered why i would be tempted to join RO if nothing is actually happening for ORLFC itself which is obviously my first love? I do understand from reading your website it must be frustrating to keep hitting brick walls, but for my membership fee or support i dont see anything happening to the club. I do admire the way you do promote and maintain such support for RO but is it actually a trust for ORLFC? Thanks for taking the time to post.All the best

#36 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

thank geoff...great reply...id love a sit down with for a chat...i'll even buy you a pint or 2 lol....

what strikes me about RO they have the structures in place,the help from supporters direct,massive membership base (one of the biggest in the sport!)...RO is everything and has everything i want the trust im want to set up to be...yet RO must be the only trust in the country that doesn't want a piece of the club it supports...im baffled by it.

also under my membership scheme, which has the potential to generate considerable amounts of money, taking on a % of the clubs debt would be the least of our worries..

anyway ive printed off a RO membership form and i'll be joining,hoping to change opinions from within

Edited by roughyedspud, 20 February 2014 - 09:16 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#37 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

I think it is high time the RFL applied some pressure as minimum standards are now being flaunted, It could even be a health and safety matter, just how long did the RFL give Mr Hamilton to make some acceptable progress?
Its Hypothetical But if the RFL opened a dialogue with RO and Chris together...with a remit to get the ball rolling with the ground, have they clout to make an audit of the club as it now stands and if the financial resources are not in place to meet the RFL`s Minimum standards expectations then surely some sanction needs to be applied? They do pay central funding after all!
Im not a member of RO, but I know and respect Geoff Cooke and add my congratulations to his appointment.

#38 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:05 PM

id love to volunteer my time to work with ORLFC & RO on ground/stadium development...its my dream job
  • eclecticsheep likes this

OLDHAM RLFC

#39 saints10coach

saints10coach
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

Whilst I agree about the facilities needing attention at Whitebank. The RFL are hardly likely to put pressure on Oldham when there is more than one SL club who have failed to provide hot showers for their visitors.

#40 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 673 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

One point I'd like to clarify. as hinted above, CH hinted at launching a Ground development Fund when the time is appropriate. I recall that the ownership of Whitebank was holding this up. I have seen nothing since that point ( I  may have missed it) where the ownership has been fully resolved.

So do ORLFC now own the Whitebank in the normal sense of the word ownership?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users