Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds fans trust

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

Poll: Roughyeds fans trust (29 member(s) have cast votes)

would you become a member

1. yes (21 votes [72.41%])

Percentage of vote: 72.41%

2. no (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 ultimate roughyed

ultimate roughyed
  • Coach
  • 187 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

Eclectic - it is the members of RO who ultimately decide what the main focus of the trust should be. In theory there is nothing to stop this from changing but it would have to be put to a vote (correct me if I'm wrong Geoff).

Roughyedspud - I'm a bit confused how your membership scheme would work. Would the club get a cut of the proceeds given the package includes a season ticket etc? If so then the funds generated for the trust would be significantly reduced.

It took several years of hard graft by a lot of people to get the RO membership up to where it is now but we kept it cheap which has helped to keep numbers up. There was a lot of goodwill at the time which helped considerably but I fear you might struggle as there are already 2 organisations in existence - is there room for another?

I wish you the best of luck with it regardless.

#42 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:19 AM

the membership scheme money would be split so the club gets the season ticket cost and the rest goes on running the trust & ground development...basically..

but its practically impossible to set up another trust now...RO has everything my trust idea wants...except the desire to run ORLFC..

hence why im joining RO

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#43 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:13 AM

the membership scheme money would be split so the club gets the season ticket cost and the rest goes on running the trust & ground development...basically..

the basic break down for a £20 a month.£240 a year member is

£100 to the club for the season ticket

£120 goes into stadium development

£20 into a "trust contingency fund" if thats allowed?

if the season ticket cost more or less then the figures change obviously....im not trying to do the club out of any money...quite the opposite

Edited by roughyedspud, 21 February 2014 - 08:46 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#44 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:18 AM

Could someone from RO please explain something as i genuinely dont understand the setup, if the RO trust is supported by supporters direct, do you have to name a parent club ie ORLFC to be a supporters trust of said club? Otherwise RO could just pump money into youth development and amateur clubs and ORLFC would possibly never see any benefit? If ORLFC is a named club in RO and no help/investment has been accepted by the club does this not mean the trust is basically useless in terms of a supporter led association for ORLFC?Sorry if im being thick but i dont really get it lol

#45 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

My understanding is what Rugby Oldham was set up to help rugby in general within Oldham. Amateur and professional. Now whether that covers the union teams as well as leagueI'm not sure.

#46 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:12 PM

supporters directs remit is fairly clear 

We promote the value of supporter community ownership at sports clubs, and aim to create the conditions in which supporters can secure greater influence and ownership at their clubs.

In the UK alone, there are over 30 sports clubs owned by their communities.

apart from our trust....who don't want any ownership of the club

Edited by roughyedspud, 21 February 2014 - 01:13 PM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#47 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

My own understanding (and this may be flawed) is that  IF ORLFC PLC (as it is run now) got into such an untenable position as to be in danger of ceasing to exist as a semi professional club then they would do their utmost to keep the club afloat somehow. One person alone knows just how close (or otherwise) the club currently floats to Insolvency, Wind Up petitions or accumulated unserviceable debt...It has been this way for quite some time. 

Im rather glad that RO exists and are so very well supported, Oldham Rugby League Football Club will continue and grow one day. The thing that is quite laughable is that Mr Hamilton cant see the value of a more committed and mutually beneficial arrangement with them, as it would surely lead to improvements to Whitebank and all that would go with that...even, may I say it ....Increased support and revenue!

So its down to time and tide isn`t it.... which waits for no man!

#48 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

alot of fans are done waiting though..

OLDHAM RLFC

#49 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

That was my understanding of supporters direct too, therefore i dont see how RO fit that criteria with there mission statement. Not that i am demeaning or criticising what RO do, and for the record i do think it is a well run and supported organisation, just dont see any benefit to the "club" as stated in there constitution as ORLFC (1997)LTD. Thats why it confuses me. Also if this is the supporters direct aims "We promote the value of supporter community ownership at sports clubs, and aim to create the conditions in which supporters can secure greater influence and ownership at their clubs."  then its my understanding that RO who have stated they dont want ownership of the club are breaching this ethos and therefore cannot be a "Supporters trust" in the way Supporters Direct are supposed to work? I still dont get it lol

Edited by roughyed34, 21 February 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#50 sheddingswasus

sheddingswasus
  • Coach
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

My understanding is what Rugby Oldham was set up to help rugby in general within Oldham. Amateur and professional. Now whether that covers the union teams as well as leagueI'm not sure.

It is Rugby League only

#51 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for that Geoff,, very imformative piece that. As for fueding factions i was actually referring to the fans, some of which are pro CH, some vehemently anti CH etc, in no way was it suggesting that the RO and Orsa associations had any disputes or anything of that ilk. Just as a point i actually support Saddleworth in the amateur game, i just wondered why i would be tempted to join RO if nothing is actually happening for ORLFC itself which is obviously my first love? I do understand from reading your website it must be frustrating to keep hitting brick walls, but for my membership fee or support i dont see anything happening to the club. I do admire the way you do promote and maintain such support for RO but is it actually a trust for ORLFC? Thanks for taking the time to post.All the best

In the first instance Rugby Oldham put money directly into the club in the form of sponsorship. We began by sponsoring players who had been brought through the Oldham Amateur League and later sponsored the Reserve team. However, when it became clear ORLFC were acquiring a ground in Oldham we committed to helping with ground development. We met with CH and he was happy with this. We are still sitting on money available for this purpose but cannot release this without contracts being signed and planning permission being granted.  

#52 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

That was my understanding of supporters direct too, therefore i dont see how RO fit that criteria with there mission statement. Not that i am demeaning or criticising what RO do, and for the record i do think it is a well run and supported organisation, just dont see any benefit to the "club" as stated in there constitution as ORLFC (1997)LTD. Thats why it confuses me. Also if this is the supporters direct aims "We promote the value of supporter community ownership at sports clubs, and aim to create the conditions in which supporters can secure greater influence and ownership at their clubs."  then its my understanding that RO who have stated they dont want ownership of the club are breaching this ethos and therefore cannot be a "Supporters trust" in the way Supporters Direct are supposed to work? I still dont get it lol

"..aim to create the conditions in which supporters can secure greater influence and ownership at their clubs". Do you think those conditions exist at ORLFC? 

Supporters Direct are well aware of the situation at ORLFC.

The problem with the postings is that the owner has to be willing to talk to and negotiate with interested parties. There is no indication so far that any poster has spoken to CH as we have.

There are good ideas floating around here so speak with the only person who can take things forward, let us know what happens and we will see if RO can help.

#53 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Geoff, that makes it a lot clearer, just as an aside if CH would deal with you would RO help with planning costs or just the structures etc? Thanks for taking the time to tell us the trusts stance too.

So ultimately it seems to be back to square one, if RO are obviously willing to help with the ground etc, just why is CH not interested in help after the "im willing to talk to people" speech that seems to be wheeled out at every opportunity. Seems to me that the person who needs to answer questions is one CH. I wont hold my breath for that though :)

I would like to say that for once this thread has and is a pleasure to contibute to with level and sensible postings not degenerating into a slanging match.Good effort folks long may it continue

#54 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

The mid 80`s ORLFC Team left an Indelible mark in my Life, such a great pleasure to be a part of the Watersheddings Faithful home and away with my Dad, two of my sisters and my girlfriend...I would dearly love to see even the smallest "Green Shoots" of recovery, and at least more effort to cover the faithful remnant at Whitebank (who like myself are "Getting on!"). 

Im really as vexed at the RFL as they cut central funding only a few years back, and now Superleague are getting an even bigger slice of the pie to line players bottomless pockets,(like the majority of professional sports these days). 

#55 lalar

lalar
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Is there any way of forcing CH's hand one way or another? Would be nice to know if this idea has any chance before the masses throw some weight behind it. Would RO throw their full weight behind a takeover if CH said he would be willing to relinquish shares/ownership to a supporters trust? A trust/fan ownership of orlfc would immediately see attendances double imo. The potential is huge.

#56 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

Great idea but can you see a lot of people signing up to own 25% of a club that is reputed to be around 200k in debt, I imagine most of this debt is down to directors loans, CH insists that he wants the best for the club so why when somebody like Marwan Koukcash came along would he not be realistic with his valuation of the club. The only way forward is for CH to wipe out the loan and let somebody else take over be it in the form of a trust or individuals.

#57 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:00 PM

To be fair Cluedo there is also the grey area over the BQ/CH stuff too, who took loans or didnt? Why is the club allegedly in 200k debt? Plus the Kashcow issue was all dependent on Latics and Corney didnt want to know, i dont think CH can be blamed for that in any way, plus i woudnt trust Koucash to be honest, im not convinced where his motives lie, Oldham then Swinton? Both deals seem dead, a quick fix like that is not the answer imho, its more about rebuilding the trust and support of ORLFC fans and making sure the club has a future long term. What would happen if a money man came in and then pulled the plug? A trust is the way forward, wether or not parties will ever do business/see eye to eye is another matter. At least a trust would/will hopefully secure the famous name of ORLFC.

#58 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 415 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:02 AM

In a ideal world a trust would be great but there are not many sporting clubs competing at a high level run by one, sad fact today is you need major investors to be successful, not sure of the current players wages but it used to be £100 appearance money £100 home win £150 away win add on coaches wages plus guaranteed contract payments you would need approx 125k then you have all the other factors travel insurance, employer contributions N.I. Etc you are looking at around 200k if you managed to get 500 people to put £20 a month in this would only raise 120k where is the rest coming from.

Edited by cluedo, 22 February 2014 - 12:03 AM.

#59 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:15 AM

sponsorship,advertising,tv money,additional gate revenue.....membership money would never be the clubs only source of income..

with 500+ members we could quite easily become one of the strongest,financially,outside of super league

Edited by roughyedspud, 22 February 2014 - 08:06 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#60 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

and theres loads of sports clubs that operate at or above the level of the top championship clubs...even super league clubs....

then of course theres barcalona & real madrid who are owned buy the fans

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users