Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Roughyeds fans trust

• Please log in to reply
236 replies to this topic

Poll: Roughyeds fans trust (29 member(s) have cast votes)

would you become a member

1. yes (21 votes [72.41%])

Percentage of vote: 72.41%

2. no (8 votes [27.59%])

Percentage of vote: 27.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#161 bigred

bigred
  • Coach
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 AM

Sounds like ORSA are as pig-headed and obstructive as the owner is!
I'd leave them to it mate. Let them keep shuffling deck chairs on the titanic.
Sooner or later hopefully a big tax bill will put an end to the whole charade and the fans can look at starting a new club.

#162 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:49 AM

thats not what all this was about...

but it seems the smear campaign is in full swing now,the club is just too toxic... so im out till this club goes pop unfortunately :(

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#163 OldhamGal

OldhamGal
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

Looks like this "reliable source" needs to be named, evidence of the emails shown, or an apology made to spud.

I won't hold my breath.

This bitching and ###### is another reason people stay away from the club.
Ain't it funny how you think you're gonna be OK
Till you remember things are never gonna be the same again?
Ain't it crazy how you think you've got your whole life planned
Just to find that it was never ever in your hands?

My Facebook :)

#164 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:57 AM

when i get home,on my laptop, i'll screenshot my email inbox...the club hasn't sent me a single email...

OLDHAM RLFC

#165 OldhamGal

OldhamGal
  • Coach
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:34 AM

I believe you spud.
Ain't it funny how you think you're gonna be OK
Till you remember things are never gonna be the same again?
Ain't it crazy how you think you've got your whole life planned
Just to find that it was never ever in your hands?

My Facebook :)

#166 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:31 AM

thats not what all this was about...

but it seems the smear campaign is in full swing now,the club is just too toxic... so im out till this club goes pop unfortunately :(

I certainly would not give up so easily spud, this sort of thing was bound to happen.

Clearly ORSA are completely sycophantic to CH, and maybe that is understandable. Possibly a fairly good thing, but questions need to be asked.

Worse aspect to this is the fact ORSA and cohorts chose to take out the man rather than go for the ball.

But I would wait till you have a consensus before offering deal or ideas, let them be refined gone through by the person that goes though these things with a fine tooth comb.

Clearly some have agendas about getting rid of CH, you have said not, for obvious reasons. But CH & ORSA are clearly going to be very anti as they know that some have the agenda. That is understandable too.

Its overcoming that. I know you have the clubs best interest at heart.

Don't let the buggers get you down at the first hurdle. If this thing is going to work, there will be much much tougher days ahead. It will be a long haul.

Lets not forget, CH was interested enough to offer dates and times. That is very important. There is a line of communication, keep it open, but don't let intermediaries distort. But be clear, it is so easy for msunderstandings to occur for no fault other than people are different and will look at the same thing from completely different perspectives.

#167 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

he didn't offer dates or times though....

OLDHAM RLFC

#168 thecrab

thecrab
  • Coach
  • 704 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:17 PM

spud dont give up on the back of that diatribe allroughyed wrote.

#169 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:30 PM

I have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks, and have declined to comment until now.

Having known CH for many years, and having a good knowledge of how ORLFC operates, and the game itself, the problems are not unique to just ORLFC. The whole set of the professional game is against teams outside SL - and until that changes every club is flogging a dead horse.

Look at the facts. How can Oldham or any other club operate a healthy budget on the small amount of home games they will have this year? The exposure of SL in the media is poor at best, and is non-existant outside SL, how is that enticing for potential backers or sponsors? Introduce a fair P&R system throughtout the game, and you then might attract the backer that can take a team like Oldham/York etc into SL, where their return maybe a small one, if that, but it's more attractive than putting money into a bottomless pit.

The costs of ruuning a rugby league club, whether you pay the players or not isn't cheap - after being involved in a top amateur club I can see first hand the costs involved, but add the wages of staff etc, on the small gates Oldham get, it's not rocket science that the club is struggling. Why do you think the TAX issue comes up every so often, is the easiest bill not to pay as it buys you time. But it's also the most fatal, in that if you do not pay, it can end the club completely.

CH works very hard, and often very long hours. Why should he do this for free when he also has a mortgage to pay, bills to account for etc? Would you work the hours he did for nothing?

#170 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

just looked through my emails dating back to the 20th feb,thats when ive asked for a chat with chris, i can't find any replies....ive even checked the spam folder and nothing there either....:(

OLDHAM RLFC

#171 SINGE

SINGE
  • Coach
  • 696 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:09 PM

he didn't offer dates or times though....

How do you know, you have not had the email!!!  Just kidding. Obviously allegedly. But you get my drift, there is a glimmer of hope. Don't get bogged down in semantics. Its the bigger picture here, the end game. There is an opportunity its should not be ignored. Make contact with CH-its the right thing to do.

#172 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

i hope its just a simple mistake.....i hope the club did email me,as that shows a willingness to talk...but ive not received them :(

what the last few days has shown me though is theres far more hatred & vitriol surrounding the club than im prepared to take on my shoulders...but my idea is out in the public domain...ORSA have seen it,RO have seen it and no doubt CH has seen it by now....they can either run with it or they don't..

OLDHAM RLFC

#173 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 589 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:34 PM

I have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks, and have declined to comment until now.
Having known CH for many years, and having a good knowledge of how ORLFC operates, and the game itself, the problems are not unique to just ORLFC. The whole set of the professional game is against teams outside SL - and until that changes every club is flogging a dead horse.
Look at the facts. How can Oldham or any other club operate a healthy budget on the small amount of home games they will have this year? The exposure of SL in the media is poor at best, and is non-existant outside SL, how is that enticing for potential backers or sponsors? Introduce a fair P&R system throughtout the game, and you then might attract the backer that can take a team like Oldham/York etc into SL, where their return maybe a small one, if that, but it's more attractive than putting money into a bottomless pit.
The costs of ruuning a rugby league club, whether you pay the players or not isn't cheap - after being involved in a top amateur club I can see first hand the costs involved, but add the wages of staff etc, on the small gates Oldham get, it's not rocket science that the club is struggling. Why do you think the TAX issue comes up every so often, is the easiest bill not to pay as it buys you time. But it's also the most fatal, in that if you do not pay, it can end the club completely.

CH works very hard, and often very long hours. Why should he do this for free when he also has a mortgage to pay, bills to account for etc? Would you work the hours he did for nothing?

A common sense post as usual from Oldhamer. My view, for what it's worth, is that any fund/trust should look at helping to fund the areas of the club that will help us speccies, not it's day to day running or as a means of taking over the club. For example a 'stand fund' that contribute towards the building of a stand. This money could be ring fenced so that it can't be used for other purposes.

#174 oldhamer

oldhamer
  • Coach
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:56 PM

From the complete mess the RFL have created with the confusing and ever changing player pathways, the abolishment of reserve grade rugby and the total disregard for the junior game, it's no wonder people are going away from this sport - finding something else to do instead.

My passion has always been Oldham RLFC, and have been involved on and off with the club for nearly 13 years. However, my enthusiasm for the sport at professional level has dropped to a point to which I am past caring. I am still involved heavily at grassroots level, and now with RU, and it amazes me how the RFL are trying to dismantle a succesfull setup the game has had from the ages of U7s to U9s, and totally revamp it into something the kids aren't even interested in playing. They do not listen to the people who have the knowledge, the coaches within the community. It's this 'not listening' and going full steam ahead into projects without looking at the consequences that continue to blight our game. The way the RFL conducts its' coaching courses, and the revalidation process is a prime example. Change something that isn't broke because you have got funding, and then once it is up and running, run out of funds, and then change it again to a system similar that they had prior to the funding. Bizzare. 

The game itself.

Yes they have the SL GF at a packed Old Trafford, but wasn't Old Trafford full when we had the Premiership double headers? But those were the days we had good gates in the Challenge Cup Semi Finals, not the Blue Square League crowds we get now for a devalued, yet prestigious cup competition. SL was created for the sole purpose to make the International game stronger, yet we are further behind than we have ever been. The same goes at club level. Look how the Roosters dismantled our SL Champions. Embarrasing.

To me before SL, the game was never broke. It just needed the change to summer rugby to make it work better for the pro game and the junior game. But to drop P&R for the the corupt franchise system that was in place, killed the sport we now have. They need P&R, but have introduced it in a formula that only a graduate with no real knowledge of the product can do. It's more complex than nuclear physics.  

The whole sport needs a shake up, 3 equal divisions, promotion and relegation of two up, two down. Bring back the Lancs and Yorks Cup, and limit the playing squads of only 3 non-british born players. The international game will be solved, as well as the interest at club level.

Edited by oldhamer, 12 March 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#175 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Its the Aussies national game when all is said and done, we are behind football and rugby yawnion...too much money going into superleague players pockets for the lower leagues to prosper! 

#176 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:36 AM

there was enough money from the recently signed tv deal to give all the clubs in the SL,championship & champ 1 a really decent increase in money

something like...

SL - £1.8MILLION a 66% increase

championship - £1million a 1000% increase

championship1 - £250k a 177% increase

but hey ho

Edited by roughyedspud, 13 March 2014 - 11:36 AM.

OLDHAM RLFC

#177 clifford

clifford
  • Coach
  • 207 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 12:56 PM

I am one of the many lapsed fans, I have been to Whitebank less than 5 times since we moved there, I watched as a youngster from 79/80 season with my family playing being on the committee from the 1920 and I even have a family member in the hall of fame  

If the club continues going along from one tax bill to another they will never amount to much more that Champ 1 rugby, even if we win the league were wont be promoted as the ground is not good enough

#178 geoffcooke

geoffcooke
  • Players
  • 43 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

Just read every post on this thread as I was out of touch because I've been on holiday. Sorry not to attend the meeting at the 'George' as I was away; shame this did not produce a worthwhile dialogue. I appreciate roughyedspud's efforts and most of the reasons why his original ideas have not got anywhere have emerged in what has been a generally well conducted forum until the recriminations over the George meeting.

I hope people can appreciate how difficult RO have found it to make progress though, to be fair, we have been able to meet with CH from time to time. However, CH is very much his own man and rarely makes concessions. Despite my earlier post asking for others to ask to meet with him there is no indication that anyone has and it should be obvious that you will not get anywhere unless you talk to the owner. CH does not read anything on this forum so you will not reach him that way. The only alternative is to take your concerns to the Oldham Chronicle. At the moment coverage of the club is limited to what the club itself feeds them, so if you have frustrations do what Latics fans do and write to the paper (no lack of protest at the proposed move of home spectators from one stand to another this week!)

Obviously, I fully support a 'Supporters Trust' run club but RO does not have the funds for a buyout and there is no point in any partial ownership as no radical reform can take place in those circumstances. It is a pity that BQ could not gift us his shares when he left as that would have been a new beginning. It's all very ironic given that Oldham RLFC were one of the last clubs to surrender members ownership status in the 1970's following a campaign in the Chronicle to make it a Limited Company and, subsequently, a PLC. We all know where that got us! 

As many of you have realised the status quo is where we are and there is not much on the horizon to change that. The state of RL generally is perilous (another farce with Bradford Bulls ongoing), and worse the further down the pyramid you go. Nevertheless we all care or we would not be engaging in these conversations so I can only conclude by saying 'keep the faith'. You never know what lies around the corner.

#179 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Looks like Dr. K has got the nod from Salford Council to build a new stadium for Swinton Lions near Swinton Precinct according to the M.E.N. and Manchester Radio.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#180 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 11:42 PM

Sad Latics blew him out and spoiled it for both Oldham clubs! But the Yeds will move onwards and upwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users