- - - - -

Griffiths praises team effort

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 League Express

League Express
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

North Wales Crusaders head coach Clive Griffiths was delighted with the team effort shown by his side in the 34-16 opening day win over Barrow Raiders.
 Griffiths' men had to play for half an hour with 12 men after off-season recruit Michael Platt was sent off for fighting, but they dug deep to make sure they left the Racecourse with all three points.
Although the former Wales coach was happy with his side's response to the sending off, he wants his players to improve on their discipline in future.
Griffiths said: "I would have taken a win of any description today. It was the first game in the Championship.
"I'm delighted with the second-half performance. The longer we went on, the stronger we got. I thought it really galvanised us when Michael Platt went off.
"We've got to button up on these type of things and make sure we go into these games with a full complement of players to choose from - not missing them through ill discipline.
"We were the architect of our own donwfall at times in the first-half and then in the middle third - we have talked about how important that is, and how it probably won us the league last year - we made a few errors which they scored two tries from."
Griffiths said that everyone "put their hands up" during the game and that he was pleased with the debutants that featured.
He said: "It was a great team effort to play with 12 men and play the way we did. I thought everyone did well and put their hands up.
"We've got to raise the standards - we know it's going to get tougher, tougher and tougher every week. That's why we've got such a big squad.
"Last year, the new boys showed why we had brought them in and the boys we've brought in this year have done the same.
"It's been a tough week this wee because I've had to tell some of the lads that they weren't going to be playing, after all the hard work they've put in over the off-season."

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users