Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Russell Crowe - Burgess would have stayed if he could have played Origin

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Stoney100

Stoney100
  • Coach
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

http://www.smh.com.a...0218-32xda.html

I think that this is highly unlikely but interesting.

#2 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

Meh it's just the Australians again trying to make out that Origin is the pinnacle! How can a match between two Australian teams be the pinnacle of the game? 

Burgess went for two reasons: 1. More money and 2. A guaranteed spot in the WC squad. 

#3 Lesmets

Lesmets
  • Coach
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Origin is the Pinnicle ,if Australia had entered Queensland and NSW in the World Cup they would have played the final ,England would have been trounced out of site given they wouldn't have needed as much bonding time as the Kangaroos needed!!!

#4 RugbyLeagueGeek

RugbyLeagueGeek
  • Coach
  • 629 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Origin is the Pinnicle ,if Australia had entered Queensland and NSW in the World Cup they would have played the final ,England would have been trounced out of site given they wouldn't have needed as much bonding time as the Kangaroos needed!!!

I respectfully disagree with you.

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

No

#6 bobbruce

bobbruce
  • Coach
  • 5,992 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:19 PM

Queensland would of won it but I'd fancy England's and NZ chances against NSW.

#7 L Bow

L Bow
  • Coach
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 10:09 PM

Queensland would of won it but I'd fancy England's and NZ chances against NSW.

I'm afraid to say that I would not have.

#8 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Ambition, a fresh challenge and the promise of riches were enough to see Sam Burgess tempted away.

As for the Origin teams, well the aussies have a rich pool of talent to be sure and the standard of Origin shows they could put a couple of teams out at international level that would be highly competitive.

Surely nobody is proposing that Australia should enter an A and a B side in international tournaments?

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#9 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 584 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:08 AM

Burgess said him self of Origin * Cuss word * I'm Emglish , I have zero interest in playing for an Aussie team....

Crowe is a looney tune Kiwi who wants to be Australian himself.....no respect for that......I suspect a lot of transferance going on there with Stone the Crowe

#10 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:11 AM

Meh it's just the Australians again trying to make out that Origin is the pinnacle! How can a match between two Australian teams be the pinnacle of the game? 

Burgess went for two reasons: 1. More money and 2. A guaranteed spot in the WC squad. 

Some media is saying he has taken a pay cut to move to RU.

#11 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Some media is saying he has taken a pay cut to move to RU.

It is being dubbed a big money deal in the media.

I've seen a figure quoted of £500,000 (about AUD $930,000)

Bath have financed Sam Burgess' big-money transfer and will call the shots on what position he fills in rugby union, according to Mike Ford.

Head coach Ford confirmed Bath owner Bruce Craig has bankrolled Burgess' £500,000 transfer from South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The 25-year-old will move to the Recreation Ground in October at the end of the NRL season, with Ford pledging Bath will build a game plan around their "megastar" recruit.

#12 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Players
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

Maybe if RL was as big in the UK as it is in Aussie and more of a national, rather than regional sport, it would provide us with a huge player pool of immensely talented individuals. We could have our own representative competion (beyond Red Rose v White Rose) which would be more than a match for the Origin Series!
It would be safe to say that we would also be MORE than a match on the international level too. But that is all just wishful thinking.

basically, if we were an RL nation we'd whoop ya. ; )

#13 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 240 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:53 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if that had happened.

#14 Copa

Copa
  • Coach
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:35 PM

It is being dubbed a big money deal in the media.

I've seen a figure quoted of £500,000 (about AUD $930,000)

That money goes to the rabbitohs.

The coach at Bath says Burgess took a pay cut.

#15 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:53 AM

They need a gimmick , some sort of carrot, preferably a orange carrot but a red one would do. 

Introduce a challenge system, where players from any country can form like a exiles team, barbarians team. 

What they would do is issue a challenge to play the winner of Origin that year. 

I come up with this idea years ago, and have a cash bonus of 1 million to make it interesting. I am sure the Salford devils owner would put the cash up, gee whiz, the city that hosts the game could put the cash up. 

So if this barbarian team beats the Winner of Origin, they take the cash. 

That would be hard to do, because you would have to issue the challenge say if one team won the opening two games, so instead of the third being a dead rubber, the Exiles team could issue a challenge,. 

Hold on, this thing could grow some legs. 

This is not a bad idea. Anyhow, we need to get creative. But no, you never mess with Origin, and it is typical Rusty Crowe being a Kiwi would bring this up. 

The Kiwis would be raising sheep and farming our lands for free if they had their way. 

#16 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,721 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:24 AM

That money goes to the rabbitohs.

The coach at Bath says Burgess took a pay cut.

Maybe, and I'm just wondering, there's other aspects to his job that provide income too. If he has taken a pay cut then good on him. I guess he's looking at the future and feels that his image will be bigger getting much more exposure here with the prospect of correspondingly higher earning in the future.

#17 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:03 AM

That bloke at Bath is really taking the Michael out of us cloth capped Leaguers if he thinks we believe that Sam`s taking a pay cut to play rah rah. Of course he`s not,isn`t Bath owned by that money bags Eccleston,who`s always being accused of financial skulduggery? Same with Henry Paul,he went for the money,but who cares? Sam isn`t the first,nor will he be the last to join the kick and clap brigade,the Bunnies are a strong club now and will easily fill the void.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users