Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Charlo gone

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#1 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

Thoughts?
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#2 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

Think he's done a great job getting the team this far with Oggy.

#3 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

1st and foremost, regardless of opinions on the team this year, charlo and oggy changed our club around, we went from a club at rock bottom and within 2 years we were playing in a playoff final, then gaining automatic promotion and having an outstanding year in the coaches 1st stab at championship rugby. Gary has done himself and the club proud and we should all be very thankful for him for what he has achieved.

Now for the future, and I hope we can get either a biggish name in who can attract some better players and possibly have overseas contacts or my 1st choice would have to be Paul Crarey.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#4 ChunkyOnion

ChunkyOnion
  • Coach
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks for your efforts Charlo...both youself and Oggy will be fondly remembered
Surf dudes with attitudes, (Kinda groovy), Laid back moods. Sky above, sand below (Good vibrations), Feelin' mellow. Won't give it up, Don't wanna stop....Don't wake me up, Don't wake me up if I'm dreamin', California dreams, Just let me lay here in the sun, Until my dream is done

#5 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Done a fine job getting us where we are now from the doldrums. . We have to remember that . But he's dead right , everyone has a shelf life and I do think we need a fresh , outside voice with new ideas and who can reinvigorate the players . We were looking a bit stale . New face to bring new plans .Cheers Charlo

Edited by DavidM, 18 February 2014 - 06:59 PM.

#6 PLD

PLD
  • Coach
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Brought the club back to respectability with Oggy after the Rotherham debacle.

But why wait until after the first game of the season?

Rugby League must be a great game to survive the fools at the RFL who run it.

#7 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:10 PM

A very unselfish decision by Charlo, it takes a big man to acknowledge his own limitations. He deserves our sincere thanks for what he has achieved (and Oggy also) in taking the club forward and of course our best wishes for the future. He can leave with his head held high in the knowledge that he is leaving a better club than the one he took over.
  • dkw likes this

#8 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,773 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the last few years to both him and oggy, set us on the right path and if he has chosen to go then fair play to him. Now, cresta in next?

Edited by dkw, 18 February 2014 - 07:13 PM.

#9 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:14 PM

Thanks for the memories Gary, you can walk away with your head held high. We all remember the season before Charlo and Oggy took over, it was one of the worst I have witnessed in my 50 years supporting Town, those two put some local pride back into the club and with great backing from the BOD gave us a few good seasons to enjoy. A Grand final appearance and beating the dodgers 5 times in a season were among the highlights.

I suppose every coach has a shelf life and Gary must think he can't take us any further, it's just a pity that it's only one game into the season, It leaves us in a very difficult situation, I suppose the best time to call it a day would have been at the end of a season.

Good luck and all the best for the future marra. 

• dkw likes this

#10 Cato89

Cato89
  • Coach
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for your efforts and getting the club promoted and keeping us up! Everyone appreciates that. I think the time was right to move on though.

Now who? Crarey?

#11 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Thanks Charlo and Oggy for your efforts, getting us promoted and keeping us up.

Now who?

#12 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

He certianly has done a great job at town.
McCormack or Cresta???????

#13 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,237 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Let's hope we get the right man in to move us forward, the problem being that Charlo was one of the few part time coaches in our league and the club won't have budgeted to bring in anyone full time. Cresta would be ideal but I don't think he would take it, he turned down Barrow more than once.

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,934 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Thanks to Charlo and Oggy for what they have done to turn our club around and between them they have left us a great legacy of local players that any incoming coach would be glad to have to work with.   I am pleased that it is Gary's own decision to stand down and he leaves with the best wishes of everyone connected with the club.    I suppose his thinking is that it will give an incoming coach more time to ensure we stay in the Championship and if that is so, then even more respect for him.

Thanks Charlo and all the best in the future.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 Garymaca07

Garymaca07
  • Players
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:28 PM

Good luck gary and all the best for the future ,enjoy some family time.

#16 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

Timing does look a bit odd , after one game . No real difference from the end of last season . One game has brought this on ? Still , we move on and I'm sure many guys will throw their hat in the ring - don't know Crareys situation , McCormack , Wilkinson , SL assistants ...

#17 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

Timing does look a bit odd , after one game . No real difference from the end of last season . One game has brought this on ? Still , we move on and I'm sure many guys will throw their hat in the ring - don't know Crareys situation , McCormack , Wilkinson , SL assistants ...

Wilkinson is havens assistant isn't he?

#18 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

Yes , but he brought through a generation at Leeds and coached 8 academy grand final wins !
But I'm just craicing there .

#19 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:50 PM

Thanks charlo all the best for the future. Crarey will be a good choice.

Edited by town4me, 18 February 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#20 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

I think Steve McCormack must be favourite for the job if we are tying up with Wigan. He's currently on the coaching staff at Wigan looking after their scholarship lads.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users