Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Whitehaven away

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:07 PM

This is going to be tight I think but its the sort of match we need to win if we are to avoid relegation his year. After the pleasing start against Barrow I'll go for a narrow Cru win; 18-24

#2 rossco123

rossco123
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

I think Rob  mAssam will be a big loss for the next month but Ile say 16= 28 to cru

#3 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

we could have Massam (injury), Reardon (I match ban) and Platt (disciplinary) all out. All 3 were influencial players against Barrow and could be missed. Hopefully our squad will be good enough to cover these missing players. I'm still confident enough to predict a narrow win 18 - 24 to Crusaders.

#4 haven94

haven94
  • Coach
  • 323 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:15 PM

platt will be ok to play not up until next week. reardon got 1 match ban

#5 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Reardon was excellent against Barrow. We will miss him, but chance for somebody else to claim his place. Think I will be driving up to Whitehaven. Nice drive and a nice drink in Cockermouth.

#6 clwydianrange

clwydianrange
  • Coach
  • 126 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:33 PM

I didn't realise Massam was injured, whats wrong with him?

#7 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:41 PM

Rob broke his leg apparently.

#8 Ratboy

Ratboy
  • Players
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:59 AM

Taking any dual players such as Declan Hulme or Tom Gilmore?

Edited by Ratboy, 20 February 2014 - 10:00 AM.

#9 League Express

League Express
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Sunday 23 February
Kingstone Press Championship

Whitehaven v North Wales Crusaders (3.00pm)

Whitehaven centres Stephen Fox and Scott McAvoy face late fitness tests, but coach Dave Woods expects both to be passed fit for Sunday’s Kingstone Press Championship clash with North Wales Crusaders.
Woods is aiming to make the most of home advantage on Sunday, when he hopes to steer Whitehaven to their first victory of the new campaign.
Woods said: “We had a lot of individual errors against Keighley, and I’m sure North Wales will travel with plenty of confidence.
“They’ve a very experienced side and they’ll come here thinking they can get the points, but we’ve got to make it very difficult for them.”
Crusaders duo Rob Massam (ankle) and Gary Middlehurst (knee) will both be assessed before Clive Griffiths finalises the North Wales team.
Griffiths said: “Whitehaven is a tough place to go and it’s not going to be a dry track. It’s going to be a war of attrition, but I’m confident we’ve got the players to handle that.
“It’s an intimidating place, particularly with 1,000 Cumbrians shouting down at everybody, but having said that we’ve grown since the last time we were there. We’re not cocky by any means, but we’re confident we can get a job done.”

League Express is Britain's biggest selling Rugby League publication
On sale every Monday, in shops, on subscription and online for PC/MAC, iPad, iPhone, Android & Kindle Fire.
Follow us on Twitter @leagueexpress
Like us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/rugbyleagueexpress

#10 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:37 PM

North Wales Crusaders head coach Clive Griffiths insists that he hasn’t got carried away by the opening day win over Barrow Raiders and is taking one game at a time.
 The Wrexham-based side opened their 2014 account with a 34-16 success over the Raiders, despite playing almost the entire second-half with only 12 men after Michael Platt was sent off.
Next up for Crusaders is a trip to Whitehaven this Sunday – and Griffiths says that his side will have to be at their best.
He said: We can’t take anything for granted; it’s going to be a really tough game.
“Whitehaven won’t be looking back and thinking about their loss at Keighley, but looking at us and wanting to beat us.
“And we can’t look back at the Barrow game. Sunday’s a new game and we have to look forward to that.
“We’ve got to take everything game by game. It’s all ifs and buts but, at the same time, it would be great to start the season with two wins.
“We’ll be going up to Whitehaven looking to do a job.”
Looking back at the Raiders game, Griffiths has higlighted how errors at this level can come back to bite you.
He said: “I would have taken a one-point win against Barrow, to open our season with a win.
“The manner of the win was very pleasing with us going down to 12 men, but we made some errors and we were made to pay for them.
“We were 6-0 up and started the game well. You make an error - like we did - and suddenly you find yourself drawing again. The same happened when we went ahead the second and third times.  
“That’s what happens at this level. It’s a tough league and, with no disrespect to Barrow, as  they’re a young, developing side with a very good coach who knows what he’s doing, there’s going to be tougher jobs ahead this season.
“You need to be at your best and that’s what we will aim to do.”
Griffiths will check on injuries picked up by Rob Massam (ankle) and Gary Middlehurst (knee) in last Sunday’s win, although both are looking doubtful.

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#11 TommyCru

TommyCru
  • Players
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 10:20 PM

I think Gary Middlehurst may miss the game too. He's had stitches across the middle of his knee, so there's another big loss. Im going for a narrow cru win 20-16

#12 MR51CUK

MR51CUK
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

Gary said he should be fine for this game. Dan Birkett is a good replacement for Rob so I think we'll only be missing Stu (fingers crossed!!)

#13 Converted

Converted
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:31 PM

Will have to rely on twitter as I can't get to the game.
I think it will be very close with the loser getting a bonus point.

#14 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,915 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

Will have to rely on twitter as I can't get to the game.
I think it will be very close with the loser getting a bonus point.

With the weather forecast for tonight and tomorrow, will the match be on?      http://www.newsandst...ecast-1.1118473

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#15 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 399 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:22 AM

The match has been called off after a refs inspection earlier this morning

#16 gogledd

gogledd
  • Coach
  • 714 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

According to the Whitehaven twitter feed the fixture has been re-arranged for 27th April providing both teams have been knocked out of the Challenge Cup before that date.