Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Workington predictions

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:22 AM

A wonded Bulldogs after a heavy defeat v a wounded Town with no coach.

Tough to call, maybe Dogs by 6 but with a lack of a decent three quarter line and low on confidence every game is going to be tough and this could go either way.
What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 07:49 AM

The team will be hurting after the frustration and disapointment of the Leigh game. With something to prove I think the dogs will win 36 - 10

Mom Davis

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 marko9

marko9
  • Coach
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

Think we will see a very different performance,the players will want to make up for the leigh game,I hope Connor plays at 6,against keighley thought did well at 6,Davies better when SR,he got good hands and can kick which causes lots of confusion,then with a 6 like Connor and leatherbarrow who has a great kicking game,we are missing black sooner he back the better

#4 phildog

phildog
  • 292 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Quite honestly I don't think we do miss Black all that much, he may be looked upto as a figurehead, but I'm not sure he's doing the business as much as he did in his first season. We have Leek who I believe could go on if he gets a long run, or Connor who did well v Keighley. Black doesn't kick well, more often than not it's straight down someone's throat or ends up nowhere, Moore was the same,whereas Leatherbarrow does judge his kicks well. That said, Black does have good hands near the line and creates scoring opportunities. If anyone else can match that then all well and good. We need a much more controlled competent performance, JK knows that and I'm sure that he will have impressed that on the lads this week, and I doubt we'll see anything like that again. We'll win well on Sunday.

#5 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Quite honestly I don't think we do miss Black all that much, he may be looked upto as a figurehead, but I'm not sure he's doing the business as much as he did in his first season. We have Leek who I believe could go on if he gets a long run, or Connor who did well v Keighley. Black doesn't kick well, more often than not it's straight down someone's throat or ends up nowhere, Moore was the same,whereas Leatherbarrow does judge his kicks well. That said, Black does have good hands near the line and creates scoring opportunities. If anyone else can match that then all well and good. We need a much more controlled competent performance, JK knows that and I'm sure that he will have impressed that on the lads this week, and I doubt we'll see anything like that again. We'll win well on Sunday.

I couldn't disagree more as far as Black is concerned. He provides on field leadership which we definitely lacked on Sunday. He constantly organises the backs throughout a match. He also gives us structure, as a proper half back. thirdly, he would provide the opportunity for Davies to return to the back row, where he is most effective. Your statement about him providing opportunities near the line sums it up. We will score from the opportunity he creates, opportunities which Davies did not look like providing.

Edited by distantdog, 19 February 2014 - 10:31 AM.

#6 Chairman LMAO

Chairman LMAO
  • Coach
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:14 PM

Really? I think it was pretty obvious on Sunday we missed Black immensely. John Davies is damn good in the second-row but he is no stand-off. Black and Leatherbarrow are the ideal partnership at the minute, IMO. An experienced organiser and an inventive kicker with a bit of pace. Personally can't wait to see Blacky back in a Bulldogs shirt.

No disrespect to Workington, but I expect a reasonably comfortable win Sunday.

Batley 34 Workington 12.

#7 Gary Coyle

Gary Coyle
  • Coach
  • 7,077 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

I think the key will be how Workington react after the loss of a coach, history shows that sides in their position usually put in a couple of outstanding games after a change in coaching staff.

#8 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,558 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

Dogs 10 Workington 64

;)

Seriously dogs to win by a good 18+ points

Detrailed train back on the tracks with normal service resumed

You'll beat workington by more points than we will beat Rochdale

#9 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,418 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

Boots and all had a small feature.on the game ar lsv and some of the break away tries were embarassing on tv. Shirt grabbing and butterfly catching isnt the bulldog ethos. Am sure the tackle pads will be suffering this week in training

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#10 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:45 AM

Boots and all had a small feature.on the game ar lsv and some of the break away tries were embarassing on tv. Shirt grabbing and butterfly catching isnt the bulldog ethos. Am sure the tackle pads will be suffering this week in training

Seem to remember me saying that about the Rams under Wozzer - and if we had been playing seventeen tackling bags every week we would have been top. :(

#11 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

well i would think the lads will be out to show that last week was a blip.should be a massive game and the task been to keep workington to nil with this defence we have,but get stuck in and put at least 40 on the board, am not too sure about this squads commitment as the fax game dugout were like a kindergarden messing about, and the keighley game players couldent be ar*** standing for a minutes silence.i do think if you listen to a few fans some are fed up of us building up a great squad to have to start again after a couple of seasons as thou we are some kind a build up club for them to go onto better things. maybe lets build a nice squad of players who want to stay for min 3 years and biuld towards that like dews seem to have done by keeping a lot a key players that choose not to go to fev or fax year after year. :download:

#12 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

well i would think the lads will be out to show that last week was a blip.should be a massive game and the task been to keep workington to nil with this defence we have,but get stuck in and put at least 40 on the board, am not too sure about this squads commitment as the fax game dugout were like a kindergarden messing about, and the keighley game players couldent be ar*** standing for a minutes silence.i do think if you listen to a few fans some are fed up of us building up a great squad to have to start again after a couple of seasons as thou we are some kind a build up club for them to go onto better things. maybe lets build a nice squad of players who want to stay for min 3 years and biuld towards that like dews seem to have done by keeping a lot a key players that choose not to go to fev or fax year after year. :download:

Too simplistic to say we need to keep players longer than 3 years. Walton for instance had been at Batley for a number of years before he, quite  rightly left to play at a higher level.

The simple answer to keeping our players is to pay them more. of course this cannot happen while we have such low crowds and seemingly little income. I am sure that Dewsbury keep their players by offering them better money than we can re Hemingway. Not that it has helped them over the years to build a better team than ours, though this season might be different. I am not sure other than offering more money we can do much about players leaving for other clubs. 

#13 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:08 PM

Too simplistic to say we need to keep players longer than 3 years. Walton for instance had been at Batley for a number of years before he, quite  rightly left to play at a higher level. The simple answer to keeping our players is to pay them more. of course this cannot happen while we have such low crowds and seemingly little income. I am sure that Dewsbury keep their players by offering them better money than we can re Hemingway. Not that it has helped them over the years to build a better team than ours, though this season might be different. I am not sure other than offering more money we can do much about players leaving for other clubs.

i think instead of just signing decent players on season to season, sign them on for a minimum of 2 seasons then after 1st season if wanted offer them extensions and also after same 1 season, still recruit new signings on a two yr basis then we wont end up getting 10 players all leave at same time like what has happened.

#14 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,594 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:53 PM

Too simplistic to say we need to keep players longer than 3 years. Walton for instance had been at Batley for a number of years before he, quite  rightly left to play at a higher level.

The simple answer to keeping our players is to pay them more. of course this cannot happen while we have such low crowds and seemingly little income. I am sure that Dewsbury keep their players by offering them better money than we can re Hemingway. Not that it has helped them over the years to build a better team than ours, though this season might be different. I am not sure other than offering more money we can do much about players leaving for other clubs. 

Not strictly true though DD. Since we won ch1, we have had one of the lowest budgets in the championship. Players like Faal, Flannagan and Hirst chose to go to Batley because they were offered more money - the same reason why two of them have now gone to fev. This year MS has upped the budget enough to allow us a couple of quality signings, who may or may not make a huge difference to our season. In the last few seasons though, Batley have been largely successful on the back of some astute signings by KH and then JK, but I doubt they did it on a lower budget than the Rams. Far as I can see, some of the dogs fans are judging the season ahead on the strength of a heavy defeat to a team who have thrown money at building a side capable of holding it's own in SL - I rather think most sides in the championship would have suffered the same fate. Add to that the fact that you have just lost two of your best players for a season, and it's little wonder Sunday was a disaster.

#15 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Not strictly true though DD. Since we won ch1, we have had one of the lowest budgets in the championship. Players like Faal, Flannagan and Hirst chose to go to Batley because they were offered more money - the same reason why two of them have now gone to fev. This year MS has oupped the budget enough to allow us a couple of quality signings, who may or may not make a huge difference to our season. In the last few seasons though, Batley have been largely successful on the back of some astute signings by KH and then JK, but I doubt they did it on a lower budget than the Rams. Far as I can see, some of the dogs fans are judging the season ahead on the strength of a heavy defeat to a team who have thrown money at building a side capable of holding it's own in SL - I rather think most sides in the championship would have suffered the same fate. Add to that the fact that you have just lost two of your best players for a season, and it's little wonder Sunday was a disaster.

one of our best player's gom lol.

Edited by stevieb, 20 February 2014 - 04:03 PM.

#16 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 823 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

yep,i understand the likes a wally and alex walmsley and brownie ect, and am sure we have had players join us for less terms or even stay for less than as been offered over the years, would have loved to a kept george, am sure we will come good as theres a few players with plenty to offer once the grass is a bit firmer but then when they show good are we going to look bare again for next season. i know crowds are a bit naff and cant see them getting any better but i really cant see how an extra 500 or so fans every week gets you the quality of players thats in the top 3/4 teams all the way thru the squads,

#17 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

i think instead of just signing decent players on season to season, sign them on for a minimum of 2 seasons then after 1st season if wanted offer them extensions and also after same 1 season, still recruit new signings on a two yr basis then we wont end up getting 10 players all leave at same time like what has happened.

The problem with signing players on longer term deals, means that you are stuck with a player for 2 years if they don't work out. We cannot afford to risk getting lumbered. Our policy has seemed to be, give lads a chance who for whatever reason haven't quite made the SL grade and see how they go. So there is no guarantee they will make it in the CH either. We have been fortunate enough to have coaches very skilled in talent spotting and they have picked up good quality lads up on very little money. But we have also seen a few players who haven't been quite up to Championship standards too. Danny Whitmore, Adam Scott and Lewis Palfrey are recent examples of this, not bad players but not quite up to the standard we already had or needed, but there are lots more to choose from over the years. Just imagine if we'd signed the likes of Dale Cardoza on a 2 year deal?

The problem with success is, players are in the shop window for bigger clubs, it is the same at all sports, it is a fact of life. Without success nobody is really interested in the majority of players. We were grand finalists last year and about as successful as it gets for teams in our league. We did it on a wage bill of approx £200k and you can bet your bottom dollar lots of other teams spent far more than us on playing staff and weren't as successful, so our players were easy pickings. Just like Zak Hardaker was easy pickings for Leeds, Fev cannot compete with Leeds in relation to player wages so they lost him. Fev also lost England to Warrington this season and we lost Brown to Hull KR and so the list goes on....

Yes you can get a transfer fee if players are on contracts, but if you ask for too much, the player will get pee'd off because he wants to play at a higher level, and the SL will just wait until the contract ends and then sign them on a Bosman free transfer anyway. So there is very little point, the other thing most players have a get out clause in the contracts too, which is something along the lines of  "can be released from the term of the contract if a SL club wants to sign them", like Ben Fisher had.

Edited by DOGFATHER, 20 February 2014 - 04:34 PM.

#18 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

500 extra fans would account for at least an extra income of £5000 a week. That would make a huge difference.

We seriously missed Blacky last week and Connor was a joke. Didn't look like he wanted to be there at all.

I have faith that we will turn it around and finish in the top 9 though. Early days

#19 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,420 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:06 PM

I agree we missed Black, but think you are being a little unfair on Connor. I just thought he looked out of his depth defensively. The thing we don't know is how good Leigh actually were. I suspect as the season progresses they will prove to be one of the leading lights in our league, and I do believe we will improve. The issue for us is how quickly?

#20 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Youl be in top 9, don't worry lads and lasses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users