17 replies to this topic

#1 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:57 PM

Interesting. 

http://www.rugbyleag...-blog&Itemid=92

“Italian Rebels” Have Their Own Office AND Italy to play Kenya in Kenya!
The FIRFL have revealed they will now have their own office at Via Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, 63 , Rome. This could well be one of the most central homes of Rugby League in the world, only 1.9km walk from the Colosseum! At the season launch at the new home they announced some of the domestic and international plans, including Coppa Italia event with the “National Final Four” on March 15 and 16 at Avezzano, the r-Evolution League (National Championship) again in June and July, Kenya vs Italy International in late March in Kenya, another International in late July and other plans.

This is somewhat interesting, because if Kenya applied for RLEF membership, would it be rejected due to their involvement with an unauthorised body?

#2 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:31 AM

Random as hell. Good luck to them, I guess.

#3 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:57 AM

at a joint FIR (rugby union) -FIRFL event, run by Frascati Rugby (one of our key members is also their sports director) last year, in the rugby 7's (mens) category there was a Nigerian rugby 7's club (one of the national comp teams and the oldest Kenya club) partipating (and final winner), anyway they looked pretty talented,  so hopefully that club can get involved in future (may be difficult their own club committments in 7s etc)

At present there is a group in Malindi & Watamu https://www.facebook...267890300035548

below 2 development members from the FIRFL who spent 2 months in nov and dec helping and also going through orphanages teaching rugby league to those children.

1554355_267900903367821_1722326527_n.jpg

1622087_272593289565249_237580118_n.jpg

1002207_272593112898600_1038054769_n.jpg

I was actually asked myself if I wanted to do a 2 month development officer stint, but have to focus on work (plus I did spend 3.5 months in italy last year!)....

#4 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:03 AM

This is somewhat interesting, because if Kenya applied for RLEF membership, would it be rejected due to their involvement with an unauthorised body?

I would say they are focusing on their own work. RLEF Education grants are for EU Nations mostly. Perhaps similar English grants that Ghana and Sierra Leone have had (benefiting from coaching manager going to SL & the Ghana manager undergoing education in London) would be pretty beneficial though with a paid position in Kenya!

Greece A played Rebel Thailand group last year, but RLEF/RLIF only get involved if they are from Italy and not recognised?

likewise the Jamaican Hurriances franchise played a USARL club last year... Of course it is only a franchise but they have a lot of JRLA players and members involved.

(I have zero problem with both just saying everyone else seems to be ignored)

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:00 AM

I would say they are focusing on their own work. RLEF Education grants are for EU Nations mostly. Perhaps similar English grants that Ghana and Sierra Leone have had (benefiting from coaching manager going to SL & the Ghana manager undergoing education in London) would be pretty beneficial though with a paid position in Kenya!

Greece A played Rebel Thailand group last year, but RLEF/RLIF only get involved if they are from Italy and not recognised?

likewise the Jamaican Hurriances franchise played a USARL club last year... Of course it is only a franchise but they have a lot of JRLA players and members involved.

(I have zero problem with both just saying everyone else seems to be ignored)

Yeah I do hate the double standards. The RLIF are happy for the USARL and AMNRL to try and merge and works things out, but the FIRFL must simply be of a part of the weaker federation. Ignoring that the two 'rebels' are the stronger competitions is affecting the growth of the game in those countries, two huge and important countries I may add.

Kenya would be in RLEF if they applied, seeing as they cover the Northern Hemisphere mostly. I'm just thinking if they were a member, the FIRFL would no longer be allowed to help them and they were the ones who started it over there. Nothing pleases me more when I see other nations taking the game to another country. 

#6 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Kenya would be in RLEF if they applied, seeing as they cover the Northern Hemisphere mostly. I'm just thinking if they were a member, the FIRFL would no longer be allowed to help them and they were the ones who started it over there. Nothing pleases me more when I see other nations taking the game to another country. 

South Africa fall under the RLEF too.

RLEF is basically just eveyone that's not in the south pacific...

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#7 Gregory

Gregory
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Does the Kenya vs Italy game count as a full international?

#8 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

Does the Kenya vs Italy game count as a full international?

Well no. It is the breakaway Italians and Kenya just started. Have to be full rlif member.

#9 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:10 AM

The wait for the first official fixture in 2014 for the Italian Azzurri is already approaching, the Azzurri will fly to Watamu (in Kenya) to challenge a representative team of the African country on March 21.

Kenya, has become more and more confident over recent years in rugby union, growing today to over 30,000 participants within their federation (compared to 77 thousand of the Italian rugby union movement). Their technical level s have expressed at a higher level especially in rugby 7’s and are trying to reac greater levels in rugby union due to the upcoming participation of their national selection in the Vodacom Cup in 2014, but that does not leave anything to chance even for Rugby League.

So what better time, then now, with the FIRFL Azzurri already engaged with important internal social activities in the African country? The International meeting  will be held in Watamu, where the Federal Association is chaired by David Massitti and have set up the project "Kenya Charity Camp Firfl". The Federeleague, in fact, in recent months sent some federal trainers to Kenya, especially in orphanages based in Watamu and Malindi.

The purpose of the FIRFL technical staff is not just to simply to teach and instill the values ​​of rugby league with children in Africa, but also to help a country that , beyond the reality of the orphanages , is definitely in need of some fortune.

The International match on March 21 falls in their direction, with Italian athletes who, during their period of stay in Kenya, will become available through their expertise with volunteer work such as maintenance of their hospitals and other structure. In short, rugby league, to be precise is in the foreground, but with more focus aimed at the social mission that the Italian national members will be ambassadors for.

The FIRFL will begin its first major event soon with the first "step " of the official 2014 season being held on 15 and 16 March in Avezzano , where the  Italian Cup (Coppa Italia) Finals will be played.

#10 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

I have a Kenyan wife so am delighted that this is happening!
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#11 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

breaking #Kenya beats #Italy 34- 24 in the first international rugby league match to be played in Kenya @citizentvnews

#12 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 01:33 PM

nearly 5,000 spectators attended #Kenya 34-24 #Italia Azzurri (National Development side) in Watamu! #rugbyleague

BjekAS6CUAAKJl8.jpg

Amazing crowd!

#13 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

only short information available:

Amazing support in Kenya as nearly 5000 attend a Rugby League International

Last Friday, in Watamu Kenya, an Azzurri Development (FIRFL) team battled Kenya with the African debutants making a great debut showing their physicality and speed earning a home victory (34-24) in front of about 5000 enthusiastic (including over 2000 children) and warm spectators. Kenya won with merit on the field, but it was once again the sport, in particular rugby league, triumphed over distances and difficulties of every day life

1926755_10152673855704018_1492343373_n.j

1888817_677088165689727_1243340459_o.jpg

10003501_677088082356402_1769073317_n.jp

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 03:41 PM

Wonderful attendance! Very pleased to hear it all went well.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 JM2010

JM2010
  • Coach
  • 167 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Sounds like there's a lot of potential in Kenya. What's the chances of an African championship involving Morocco, Kenya, Ghana and SA. I know it needs money but isn't that what the RLIF are for?

#16 wackojacko

wackojacko
  • Coach
  • 304 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 03:14 AM

Some fast lads those Kenyans.

#17 CQItalia

CQItalia
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 05:01 AM

Rugby League is a Big Hit in Kenya

The Italians (FIRFL) have rated their recent pioneering Kenyan International Tour “a great experience” and “a good test for our growth”, commented the National Rugby League Technical Commissioner Tyrone Sterry after the international match last Friday against Kenya. The match, played at Watamu in front of around five thousand enthusiastic and warm spectators, saw the Africans take the victory for 34-24: for the home team tries went to 2 for Otieno and Shibadu and one to Hassam, Mose and Kisaka with three conversions to Limo. For the Azzurri, instead, the try scorers were Massafra, Bianco, Maionchi, D’Aquila and Staccone with two conversions to Ippoliti.

"Kenya is a great formation with great technical growth and tactics – said Sterry – as you can see from the progress achieved in rugby union and rugby 7’s. The Africans have great physicality, as it was easily imaginable, but our guys gave their maximum effort with managing to make good tackles. Among other things, given the player commitments in Serie A (rugby union) and Eccellenza (pro), we had a slightly altered team, but this international has better served to understand the level of many of our guys, and we're satisfied with what we saw.”

“The technical aspect of the African trip was as important as the social aspect. There was a wonderful atmosphere at the playing field – confirms Sterry – and I have to thank the local authorities for the hospitality we had received, which the Federazione Italiana Rugby Football League thought was perfect organisation of the event and the trip. These are things that are very good for the growth of our movement, but are not limited to: I think that everyone of us will feel this was something special after this experience in Kenya, in a charming place and having contact with a population with so many problems, but are very generous. "

Today, the Azzurri group will return to Italy after all kinds of aid was given to the Watamu orphanages: adding value to a trip that is really, unforgettable for all the Federleague movement.

The following is the highlights and news coverage from major national tv company Kenya Citizens TV: https://www.youtube....h?v=PsKtAfLeOUg - see the talent for yourself!

10150689_678063918925485_27192681_n.jpg

#18 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 02:55 PM

This is some of the most impressive and nourishing footage Ive seen.

How do we build on this?

Fantastic and tremendous work by these Italian pioneers!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users