Bobbie Goulding

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#41 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:29 AM

A coach from away doesn't always guarantee success, just look at Whitehaven.

#42 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:47 AM

to be fair woods is a good coach.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#43 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:56 AM

Not saying otherwise. Just don't think he's pulled up any trees at haven for the sort of money he'll be on.

#44 haven4ever

haven4ever
  • Whitehaven
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

for the record woods lives and has a business in whitehaven and is part time coach

#45 Death to the Rah Rah's

Death to the Rah Rah's
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

You have to get the balance right. A good coach can get more out of an average player and also develop a game plan to play to the strengths of the team, rather than trying to build a team round a couple of star players which is what we appear to have done in the past.

At this moment in time, I feel we need an experienced coach who can develop the individual skill levels of the players to create a more solid unit defensively.

But that said, whoever comes in will only have the present squad of players to work with, and we all recognise that as good as some of these players are, we are short of strength in depth all over the park.

In short, GOOD LUCK to whoever the successful applicant is, as they will need it!

#46 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

agreed but there is more chance of a coach from away having contacts as we are atleast 2-3 forwards short of competing in this league this season. We all knew it pre season on here and sunday confirmed it. We just couldn't get out of our own half and Young callum can't express his talent playing behind a pack lacking go forward.

#47 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

We knew all this for months as you say , but we just seem to have sleep - walked into the season with our fingers crossed and hoped for the best . We put a sticking plaster over a big gash and I'm afraid it was self evident it wasn't gonna work . Even standing still it was going to be a massive ask with clubs strengthening and the new threshold - but in the key area in any team , and especially us with our structures , which is up the guts we've regressed , and that means double trouble as we haven't got the muscle to get consistently on the front foot , from where games are won . I worry for Sunday if I'm honest .

Edited by DavidM, 21 February 2014 - 12:26 PM.

#48 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

We knew all this for months as you say , but we just seem to have sleep - walked into the season with our fingers crossed and hoped for the best . We put a sticking plaster over a big gash and I'm afraid it was self evident it wasn't gonna work . Even standing still it was going to be a massive ask with clubs strengthening and the new threshold - but in the key area in any team , and especially us with our structures , which is up the guts we've regressed , and that means double trouble as we haven't got the muscle to get consistently on the front foot , from where games are won . I worry for Sunday if I'm honest .

yes I agree david. Also due to the lack of go forward it took us nearly 19 minutes to get into donnys half and it stifled our tactical kicking. No disrespect to donny but we will be up against better packs. We need to beat teams around us at home and not dominated like sunday. If theres no money for anymore signings then fair enough but just inform the fans of that. The BOD aren't magicians who can make appear out of thin air.

#49 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:04 PM

Karl Connor a Copeland councillor is trying to go a year without drink and he has started a blog for people to follow him.    He was inspired by Bobbie Goulding giving an after dinner speech at Egremont Rugby club and thought he would try it and he was also inspired by the forthcoming birth of a daughter in May.    

I've been reading his blog and in particular this one -  http://ayearinsobrie...irst-five-days/  - and what he says about Bobbie Goulding and the support he has given Karl.   Bobbie didn't have to do that and it shows the measure of the man. 

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#50 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:22 PM

His lad was impressive here to , had it on a string off the boot . He would fill a hole nicely here as well as his old man .

#51 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,796 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

His lad was impressive here to , had it on a string off the boot . He would fill a hole nicely here as well as his old man .

Bobbie Jnr is now playing in Australia.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#52 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,806 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:26 PM

Oh dear . Next name out of the blue we can scrounge ...!!! How many loans are you allowed ?

#53 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I think you should be careful talking about sacking coaches after what town did to Stokes

Yeh, sacked for gross misconduct and not by text either. Why did your lot get shot of him then, Mr " I'm just a Cumbrian RL fan"  :rtfm:

#54 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:55 PM

Didn't Mr raz have to sponsor a 2nd stand for the club to be able to pay Mr Stokes off unicorn?!
A great use of tax payers money....

#55 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,183 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Didn't Mr raz have to sponsor a 2nd stand for the club to be able to pay Mr Stokes off unicorn?!
A great use of tax payers money....

Well if they did, we are still waiting for the N&S back page splash regarding the " Waste Repository Stand" or whatever it was supposed to be. Maybe the lettering all washed off with the severe climate they have south of Distington. ;).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users