Bobbie Goulding

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:34 PM

Bobbie has expressed an interest at the vacant Workington Town job and I just wondered what all you lads thought of him in his two stints as coach?
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:35 PM

He did an excellent job in his first stint. He started with virtually no players and kept us in the division. We were playing some good rugby and the team had a lot of enthusasm.

As to his second stint something was not quite right. I'm not sure what the problem was.

#3 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

He did an excellent job in his first stint. He started with virtually no players and kept us in the division. We were playing some good rugby and the team had a lot of enthusasm.

As to his second stint something was not quite right. I'm not sure what the problem was.

That's a fair summing up. At times he worked miracles, at other times he lost the plot completely. Too much of a loose cannon in the end. I think the days of " motivational " type coaches are over to be honest. You need a more analytical approach even at our level.

#4 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

That's a fair summing up. At times he worked miracles, at other times he lost the plot completely. Too much of a loose cannon in the end. I think the days of " motivational " type coaches are over to be honest. You need a more analytical approach even at our level.

A very sweeping statement got to say I disagree completely - a mix of the two (analytical and motivational) is what is required

#5 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:26 PM

Everyone who knows me also knows my feelings about Bobby Goulding. He came into our club when we were at our lowest ebb and I believe that the first training session was on park ground and consisted of Bobby, Mark Reynolds an a couple of lads he brought over with him. Bobby has the uncommon knack of being able to get what's in a player out and if it's not in he'll damn well put it in!!! Give him a decent squad and he'll give you some good times. That's the pro side, the con side is that Bobby has a well publicized drinking problem which tends to get him in heaps of bother but if you can keep him off he pop he's magic. The guy was injured at Halifax, he tore his bicep off he bone but still played the week after. I'll always remember the away game at Leigh, we had been on the road for weeks whilst our pitch was relayed and the week after we started a run of 5 home games. Bobby put virtually an 'A' team out to save the stars for the important run-in. We took Leigh to the cleaners, we battered almighty s*** out of them, the only league game they lost at home all season I think!!! I don't think Rochdale Hornets would be around now but for his time at the club. Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#6 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

Everyone who knows me also knows my feelings about Bobby Goulding. He came into our club when we were at our lowest ebb and I believe that the first training session was on park ground and consisted of Bobby, Mark Reynolds an a couple of lads he brought over with him.

Bobby has the uncommon knack of being able to get what's in a player out and if it's not in he'll damn well put it in!!!

Give him a decent squad and he'll give you some good times.

That's the pro side, the con side is that Bobby has a well publicized drinking problem which tends to get him in heaps of bother but if you can keep him off he pop he's magic.

The guy was injured at Halifax, he tore his bicep off he bone but still played the week after.

I'll always remember the away game at Leigh, we had been on the road for weeks whilst our pitch was relayed and the week after we started a run of 5 home games. Bobby put virtually an 'A' team out to save the stars for the important run-in.

We took Leigh to the cleaners, we battered almighty s*** out of them, the only league game they lost at home all season I think!!!

I don't think Rochdale Hornets would be around now but for his time at the club.

Pugwash.

I'd agree with a lot of that Puggy. He gave us some great moments, no doubt about that.

#7 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:15 AM

I see his lad has just arrived in Australia,but can`t recall who he`ll play with. I`ll find it somewhere,but I hope he stays longer than his father did when he signed for the Roosters back in the eighties. Don`t think he played one game,was injured when he arrived and duly buggered off back to Blighty,but not before trashing his apartment. Such is the man!!

#8 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:23 PM

I see his lad has just arrived in Australia,but can`t recall who he`ll play with. I`ll find it somewhere,but I hope he stays longer than his father did when he signed for the Roosters back in the eighties. Don`t think he played one game,was injured when he arrived and duly buggered off back to Blighty,but not before trashing his apartment. Such is the man!!

Not a total reflection of his career, obviously you were not a fan of his. Follow him on Twitter 1000's feel he was an RL genius

#9 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,133 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:23 PM

Bobbie Goulding Junior is signed with Newtown Jets - who have a partnership with the Roosters. It's a good standard and will test him.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#10 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

Bobby would go down a storm in Cumbria, especially if he relocated they would love him.  He was loved by Ray Taylor and that is what he needs an arm round him all the time.  Great at Saints with McRae looking after him.

#11 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:58 AM

I don`t dispute that he was a good player,but there`s more to just playing footy when you`re that gifted,George Best and Hurricane Higgins are prime examples of that without stating the obvious. The man needs the game and I just hope he does indeed find a club that is willing to give him another shot at being a successful coach,there`s obviously a passion in him that needs to be sated.

#12 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:02 PM

Towards the end of his time at Hornets he was hampered by injuries. You could see he was frustrated, I suppose that didn't help.

#13 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 676 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:15 PM

Bobbie had been of the ale for over 12 months and is a reformed character away from Rugby, if you follow his twitter you will see, I can also vouch for this. He deserves his chance again, lads who played under him at Rochdale don't stop talking about them days and still have reunions to this day.

#14 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:05 AM

Bobbie had been of the ale for over 12 months and is a reformed character away from Rugby, if you follow his twitter you will see, I can also vouch for this. He deserves his chance again, lads who played under him at Rochdale don't stop talking about them days and still have reunions to this day.

I'm presuming you mean "off" and not "of" in your post!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#15 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 AM

I think we all understand the sentiments of the post jonnyg28, and thanks for the update, none of us are perfect even leading sportsmen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users