Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sam Tomkins - Do you think he'll be a superstar in the NRL?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 05:14 AM

Very excited to see the Big forward pack Matt Elliot has named for round one Versus the Eels.

That's pretty much what I was praying for.....a pack that can match Para in the middle....the rest is up to the spine.

The centers on the otherhand ( Dane Nielson is unlikely to play according to Matt Elliot) are thoroughly outclassed by Para's

Edited by mt smart, 04 March 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#22 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,973 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:40 AM

I'm keen to see:

Tomkins v Hayne

Luke Kelly v Johnson

Peats v Friend

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#23 Stoney100

Stoney100
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 06:12 AM

Question for you Mt Smart - do you think that the additional of Chad Townsend to play along side Johnson rather than Tommy Leuluai - will be better for the Warriors in the end I don't think he is a better player but better in the position and I think may help Johnson out in the long run? 

Edited by Stoney100, 05 March 2014 - 06:14 AM.

#24 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:55 AM

Question for you Mt Smart - do you think that the additional of Chad Townsend to play along side Johnson rather than Tommy Leuluai - will be better for the Warriors in the end I don't think he is a better player but better in the position and I think may help Johnson out in the long run? 

They look really well suited don't they.

Townsends passing is one of the keys for unlocking the Warriors , him and Tomkins, they both can throw balls ahead for players to run onto....hitting the advantage line with momentum. Otherwise the Warriors big backs were being wasted with ill timed passing....they never get a full wind up before hitting the defenders.  and they can cut people right out.

Looks like Townsends there to stay. He gets to play under less pressure with the three ball playing backs which was something the Leuluai Johnson combo lacked a lot of ( Locke was too sporadic ).

Credit where it's due, Townsend was the best player in their first outing against the Bronco's trial team.

Tommy is listed on the Official Warriors website as : Position. Hooker.

Last year it read Position : Half back / Stand off.

Edited by mt smart, 05 March 2014 - 02:00 PM.

#25 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 183 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:10 AM

I have faith he will and the NZ Warriors should be a great team for him.

#26 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

We got thumped by a fired up Eels team , a Leaky Right side defence ( 16 missed tackles ) I saw a lot of Tomkins criticism in the Pom watch thread. Here are the facts , and Why I know he will turn this team around.

Tomkins    V     Hayne

Tackles                                       5                         7 

Missed                                        1                          1

Ineffective                                    0                         0

Errors                                          2*                        1

Receives                                    48                        23

Meters                                        64                       70

Tackle breaks                              3                          1

Line break assists                       2                          0

Try Assists                                  2                          0

Penalties conceded                   0                           1

Runs                                          11                          8

one on one tackles                    1                           1

Tries                                            0                          1

In a poor side , on debut in the NRL Tomkins matched his opposite Hayne in most category's

Seven Categories he out played Hayne

Four categories Hayne out played Tomkins.

Those are the Stats after his first head to head with a top NRL Fullback.

#27 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 03:42 PM

Thought Tomkins went ok and so was surprised to see him get slaughtered on the warriors Facebook page.the edge defence was woefull at times,miss reads,falling off tackles,townsend butchered a couple of chances by ignoring overlaps and grubbering instead.Plenty of improvement needed but it is only the start of the season.

#28 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:25 AM

I been thinking about this, and yes, i do believe Sam Tomkins could be a super-star in the NRl, but not under the Warriors banner. 

The Warriors after only two games, the media has already smelt the same old same old excuses from Elliot. 

I am mystified, the players are stunned, our defence needs to be better. 

Elliot sticks up for Mannering, ? why, he is not captain material, never was. 

The players are unfit, ? really, why they had a off-season under a hard trainer to get fit. 

They let a good coach go, yes, they let good players go, yes. 

Look, the Warriors have too many hangeronnerers. Plus the distraction of being dropped is all present. 

Many things make the warriors basketcases. 

They should go out and buy two hardnuts,. They dont need to be superstars, like Kevin Champion, and a real live wire, like Maloney, who they let go. 

They need a couple of players who hate losing. "Hate Losing"

Two players who make their feelings felt if they start losing. 

Until that happens, no Elliot, no Cleary, no Bennett, nobody will change the warriors attitude, and it is attitude that is killing the club, or lack of it. 

As i said, Tomkins has got to start talking, yelling at these players, or the season and his future is going to be ugly. 

Getting back to Sam, yes of course he will be good, with a proper pre-season and proper training under his belt, he will be a beauty next year. 

Edited by oikee, 17 March 2014 - 02:27 AM.

#29 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 05:16 AM

I still can't believe they don't play a "home" match at their Mt Smart stadium until several weeks into the season.Surely a team that has the disadvantage of flying to a different country every other week should try and turn their own ground into a fortress,a bit like the Catalans did over here when they were going well.From what I've read there record at other "home" fixtures around NZ is worse than there away one.

#30 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:16 AM

I still can't believe they don't play a "home" match at their Mt Smart stadium until several weeks into the season.Surely a team that has the disadvantage of flying to a different country every other week should try and turn their own ground into a fortress,a bit like the Catalans did over here when they were going well.From what I've read there record at other "home" fixtures around NZ is worse than there away one.

You know what the biggest problem with rugby league is at the moment. Stadiums and Sydney's bad culture between teams is killing the code. 

Manly should never have been allowed to be called manly, it dis-connects most other suburbs from supporting this team. The Bears Manly connecting was a catastrophe. 

St George/illawarra hate still lingers, the West Tigers Balmain partnership was a total disaster, the Eels were run into the ground by in-fighting, and the Panthers were out of control like a runaway train. 

At least the Sydney Rabbitohs and Sydney Roosters can be supported by anyone anywhere. 

Manly on the other hand will always be effected by their area. 

So that is just part of the problem, then you have the code neglecting a heartland area when they should have been expanding like the AFL and two teams into big cities. Brisbane and uckland really needed to have two teams each by now, Brisbane should now be looking at three teams. 

Then you have stadiums, and again, the codes, all three rectangle codes have been let down badly by the last government, hell-bent on helping out AFL to every other sports demise. 

Bare with me, Two major stadiums in Sydney, ANZ and Allianz, for how many codes and teams, ? 3 codes all have to scramble for these stadiums use, one is a round ground so not suited for our codes, and the other is wanting to be used by every teams. 

Same as Brisbane, we have 3 codes all having to play out of one stadium, so it is a juggling act every year to play on the surface, which gets torn to pieces after a few games of union. It was a goat track last year, the worst pitch i have ever seen on TV. 

Codes should refuse to play at these white elephants until the government sort out this rot. It is nothing short of a joke, and nobody seems to care in all three codes, not a whimper from anyone in charge. 

I would be outraged and tell them i wont subject my teams or players to stadiums unsuited for our players and game. 

You watch them walk on water if they know they are paying for these white elephants out of our taxes. 

Anyhow, rant over, fix that mess and you fix league. Stadiums and expansion to come first. 

Now they want to kill another team, the warriors by making them play in the big round white elephant that is Eden Park. 

The fans are walking away, in their thousands. 

Edited by oikee, 17 March 2014 - 08:18 AM.

#31 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:45 PM

What is the attraction for teams playing at ANZ,is there financial incentives ?As a fan I can't think of anything worse than being sat in a 90,000 seat stadium when there is only10-20,000 in attendance.I think even wests play some games there as well as Leichardt and Campbeltown,3 home grounds,don't get that.

#32 G Las D

G Las D
  • 14,973 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 07:49 PM

Yes we've talked a few times on here about the lack of atmosphere in a part filled giant stadium for league fixtures.

There has to be a reason or reasons, right?

It's a financial deal as far as I can see that benefits the clubs.

I guess these big stadiums need to be used so they give incentives to clubs.

This article gives a bit of an insight into the thinking - click here

it's called " Big stadiums makes dollars and sense"

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#33 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

What is the attraction for teams playing at ANZ,is there financial incentives ?As a fan I can't think of anything worse than being sat in a 90,000 seat stadium when there is only10-20,000 in attendance.I think even wests play some games there as well as Leichardt and Campbeltown,3 home grounds,don't get that.

Yes, cash incentives of up to 100 thousand a game. The NRL should refuse to play out of this stadium. The knuckleheads signed a ten or 20 years i think it was agreement to play finals at this white elephant. 

That was Gallop who again locked the game into a bleak future at a stadium that is the worst in the country for rectangular code viewing. 

Why Sydney who has rectangular codes throughout the city settled for a round ground is mind numbing, i feel ill every time i think of how Sydney has let down our code by making us play in a 80 thousand white elephant. 

They wonder why crowds are not turning up. Unless it is full it has the atmosphere of a funeral. 

3 codes having to use 1 or 2 stadiums is not helping as well. 

Why has nobody woken up to the fact that bad stadia is killing atmosphere and codes. 

#34 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

Everything in the NRL seems to centre around making money at the expense of the fans so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that crowds seem to be falling,I loved the sight of Brookvale last week jam packed and a great atmosphere.with all the millions coming into the game maybe it's time the NRL put some of it into upgrading these traditional grounds that still host NRL matches or am I just being an old fashioned Pom ?

#35 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:34 AM

Everything in the NRL seems to centre around making money at the expense of the fans so maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that crowds seem to be falling,I loved the sight of Brookvale last week jam packed and a great atmosphere.with all the millions coming into the game maybe it's time the NRL put some of it into upgrading these traditional grounds that still host NRL matches or am I just being an old fashioned Pom ?

Yes you are right. To being a old fashioned pom you fuddy duddy. haha.

No seriously, the game needs to start making the stadium experience alot better, and you cant do that while we have a 40 thousand stadium that most teams cant get to (Sydney footy stadium that Roosters use) then we go to the 80 thousand round elephant that drags the atmosphere from all our games. 

So what is the answer, well its easy, build two new stadiums, one at 50 thousand out near Parramatta Penrith, so these clubs can use it along with the soccer team, Fix up the 80 thousand white elepahnt and make it rectangle, and build another 40 thousand stadium for the other codes as well as Dogs Souths Tigers and Union and Soccer. 

Sydney is two stadiums short of where they should be, and they cant get atmosphere right. 

Suncorp is a perfect place of where our game should be. 

The second thing that needs to be done, get another team or even two playing out of suncorp, and build another stadium in Brisbane for the other codes. Again, too many codes trying to fit into one stadium. 

Manly has to change their name. Until they get rid of Manly as a team name, zero growth will ever come out of this area. 

The game is trying to average 20 thousand plus, i dont ever think Manly has got more than 20 thousand to any of their games throughout the year. If they were not winning it would be even uglier. 

Titans need major help, the stadium needs fixing. It is like a hotbox the way it is built, it even feels hot looking at it on TV. 

The Warriors have got to lobby the government and get a proper stadium built. 

The Sharks need to relocate to adelaide, and play 4 home games back at Shark park. 

It is going to be very ugly this year for the Sharks, what have they got, 10 Monday night games, that should just about kill them, and any teams average crowd for having to play this basketcase club on the Monday night. 

Get rid of Monday night footy, except for holiday long weekend. 

There is so much for the NRL to do, well they had better start lobbying governments, because it is only going to get more and more ugly. 

Bring and in the Brothers and give the fans back the game. Bring back the Bears, get rid of Manly as a name. 

Sharks to Adelaide, Perth Pirates and a second NZ team. Once the warriors have some competition, they will then improve, until then you will have excuses. 

Introduce singing groups like the poms have got in super-league. Our fans have got to start being heard, not singing throughout a game, but little banter group singing. Even if it is only "the ref is a ######rrr". Anything, just get the lads bantering will brighten up the code. If they start singing all match turf them out, i dont want us ending up like A-League, a rave party. hehe

#36 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 01:08 PM

The answer as always is complex.

The short version is this :

Rugby union forces and cricket forces ( the old boys network ) manipulated the revamping of their investment in Eden park as the preferred World cup Rugby option ( why wouldn't they, that meant their cruddy old park got done up with Tax payers dollars ).

There was a much better option on the table at the time , The Govt were offering to fund a Purpose built oval ball code stadium on Aucklands Waterfront , in the heart of the City , in the center of the transport hub.

Evil Union and Cricket forces conspired to get an expensive 'do up' of smelly old Eden Park.

Here's the clincher , Eden Park owes a lot of Money , the City council who own Mt Smart want that money back. They have refused to maintain Mt Smart....which in turn has forced the NRL to refuse to allow any finals home games are played at Mt Smart ( the writing is on the wall, the ground no longer fits within the NRL rules ).

The council ( More Union cigar smoking port drinking fat cats ) have made a situation for the Warriors whereby they have to move to pay that Crugby debt off.

Edited by mt smart, 18 March 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#37 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:14 PM

Does any NRL club own there own ground then.As for Mt Smart could the club not try and force the council's hand by threatening to move city's if money is not spent on the ground or even look to buy the lease.

#38 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 03:07 PM

Does any NRL club own there own ground then.As for Mt Smart could the club not try and force the council's hand by threatening to move city's if money is not spent on the ground or even look to buy the lease.

The Warriors Owners did make noises about buying the stadium , It's not actually for sale as it turns out ( the Council need to find somewhere for Cricket if League takes over paying the Cricket / Union Bills at Eden park there isn't room for all three sports ).

In their deck chair shuffling wisdom they will set up Cricket at a speedway ground......move the speedway to Mt Smart.......shift League to Eden Park.

If the Warriors do finally hit their potential and pay the bills at Eden Park....there will come a day Cricket will demand to go back there, it is their home after all )....the Warriors in that scenario would end up with very few options.

#39 Davo5

Davo5
  • Coach
  • 404 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:35 PM

Well although it must be frustrating being a warriors fan it's never dull is it ?

#40 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 620 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 03:24 AM

Never dull indeed.

It's a bizarre club to be 'forced' to follow. If you pick teams based on being a patriot , a one team one country club is the only choice of  the Nz NRL fans.....all these kiwi fly by nighters who support other NRL clubs I envy some days ( common sense thinkers ) but following the Warriors is like a cocaine habit.

When it's good your on top of the world, even though you know it won't last and the habit is going to be your undoing.

They are unique in rugby league ( to the best of my knowledge , there maybe a team like them in the ESL not sure about that ).

They are the dormant Volcano of the NRL. They really are , while the rest of the NRL get on with their daily lives at the foot of the Mountain.....as soon as there is activity out of the Warriors the rest of the NRL gets nervous.

They're as likely to thump team one in a week and lose to team 16 the next.

They killed off the McIntyre system.

First time Team eight beat team one and knocked the minor premiers out of the finals system in the history of the comp.

Like I say there is nothing like it.

Sam Tomkins and a couple more astute signings during Tomkins tenure could ( seriously hand on heart no blind bias ) unleash a frightening force on the NRL.

They keep talking about how they aren't delivering what they do in training on the paddock , I've heard that excuse often enough to believe it.

Perhaps it's the coach , as likely it is the players, but once this side starts enjoying it's footy with Tomkins there will be a lot of worried Aussie teams this year.

The Question for the Warriors has always been whether that will come too late for them to have a decent go in the Finals.

When their tails are up they don't rate any team in the NRL apart form Manly..........as silly as that sounds....the only team they really fear is Manly....in a finals format that takes them further than they deserve.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Warriors finished eight....to see them be the first team to Win a GF from last qualifier.

Crazy team , no logic to it.

Edited by mt smart, 19 March 2014 - 03:25 AM.