Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Friendships forgotten as students target Tetley's Challenge Cup win

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,696 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:38 PM

Friendships forgotten as students target Tetley's Challenge Cup win

Leeds Metropolitan University student Gareth Hynes will put old allegiance aside when he takes on his former club East Leeds in a Tetley’s Challenge Cup second round tie on Saturday.
Hynes began playing for East Leeds at the age of 14, and admits he will find the experience of playing against old friends ‘strange’.
“I’ve never played against them and I’ve never been in the away dressing room, so it’ll be a really strange occasion,” said Hynes. “I still see a lot of the lads and we go out on weekends but I’ve got to put all that behind me on Saturday.”
Leeds Met are heading into the game in the best possible form, having won all 10 league games this season, which has been backed up with a 44-16 win over Millom in the first round of Rugby League’s historic knockout competition, and Hynes believes their run of results will help them at the weekend.
“I think preparations have gone well,” he said. “We start at uni season in September, so we had a good run before Christmas, not losing a game, and then we had a couple more games in the New Year and then the first round of the Cup.
“We had quite a long break at Christmas. Some of us were straight back and we were a bit rusty at first. It took a while to get back up to speed.
“A few of the lads went home and we didn’t get the full side back together for a couple of weeks, but with the games we’ve already played this year we’ll be hitting the ground running against East Leeds.”
Following a successful campaign, Leeds Met are beginning preparations for their play-off campaign where they will look to be crowned the top student side in the country, but Hynes is looking forward to the challenge of playing against another open age team.
“It’s very different to the student game,” he said. “In our league you’re typically playing against lads of a similar age and size, but for the Challenge Cup it’s a much wider range and it’s more physical, but we’re in good nick so it shouldn’t be an issue for us.
“The concept of the tournament has changed in recent years, so it’s a shorter road to the third round this time.
“The first year we qualified - 2011 - we played Sheffield Eagles which was a great experience for us and hopefully we can put that to good use against East Leeds.”
The Tetley’s Challenge Cup second round tie will take place at Richmond Hill on Saturday February 22 at 2.00pm.
The Tetley’s Challenge Cup second round tie, East Leeds v Leeds Metropolitan University will take place at Richmond Hill, Easy Road, Leeds, LS9 8QS on Saturday February 22 at 2.00pm. Admission is just £2 for adults and £1 for concessions.

By Liam Williams
#TetleysChalCup

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com