- - - - -

This weekend's NRL Trial Games

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:32 AM

Billy Slater has scratched from this weekend's trial game between Storm and Bulldogs.

He could still possibly play in the R1 game.

All the same Storm could face starting the season without two of their three key players with Cooper Cronk also still currently recovering from off season surgery.

Here's the line ups for this weekend's trial games

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#2 JimBronco

JimBronco
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:16 PM

I read Manu Vatuvei will not feature for the Warriors against Brisbane, but should be good to go for Round 1 vs the Eels.

5262438-3x2-700x467.jpg

#3 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

I read Manu Vatuvei will not feature for the Warriors against Brisbane, but should be good to go for Round 1 vs the Eels.

Correct. No Manu , still has some Thigh issue from the WC.

Nice story with Jharal Yow Yee making the extended bench after breaking his leg so badly.

Young Nikorima who got exposure through the Nines Tournament gets a trial in the number six.

No Ben Barba ( slight injury ) Hoffman at Fullback.

The NZ Warriors team is almost full strength ( Leuluai still hasn't recovered from the groin strain ).

#4 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:07 PM

Correct. No Manu , still has some Thigh issue from the WC.

Nice story with Jharal Yow Yee making the extended bench after breaking his leg so badly.

Young Nikorima who got exposure through the Nines Tournament gets a trial in the number six.

No Ben Barba ( slight injury ) Hoffman at Fullback.

The NZ Warriors team is almost full strength ( Leuluai still hasn't recovered from the groin strain ).

I hope Jharal to makes a strong comeback.

#5 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:00 PM

I hope Jharal to makes a strong comeback.

yeah wasn't that accident hideous. Brave man recovering from something like that and wanting to play again.

By the Way G las D , I read your post about Slater missing the trial and being touch and go for round one.

How long are they expecting Cronk out of the game do you know ?

Did you see any new faces in the Storms nines side who seemed to put their hand up ?

#6 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,042 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Mmmm  yesterday Slater was announced as playing in the trial by CB ... I guess we'll have to wait until the players cross the whitewash before we know the team for certain

Bellyache is using both trials games - there's another on the same day vs East Brisbane Tigers where George Rose and a few other serious contenders are playing.

All I've heard about Cronk is that he's back in training - it was thought he'd miss a couple of rounds but who knows. I guess those fans who are lucky enough to watch open training sessions at the club.

As for the Storm performances in the Nines ... It wasn't a glorious tournament for Storm -  As for new blood I thought Tonumaipea looked good and he's getting a starting go in the trial game. Other than that ... my Storm standouts as such were Tohu Harris, Will Chambers, Mitch Garbutt and Duffie - pre injury.

What a shame for Matt Duffie. He'd have set his heart on a good comeback after injury only to have his hopes thwarted by another long term out.

#7 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

What a night. Standing room only and a sellout 8,500 packed into Toowoomba stadium for the Titans Cowboys clash. This game had everything a fan could ever want, made even better by the fact we had grandstand front row seats. 

Highlights. All the players right in front for a national anthem performance. 

Thurstons kicking game during the run of play, perfection. 

Micheal Morgan filling in at fullback, went well. 

James Tamou, a very large human. 

Thurston kicking a goal from the sideline right in front of us, he swung it around and the crowd went ohhh because they though he had hooked it, then it swung back and went over the black dot. 

I said to the wife, to top the night off all we need is a break down our side of the field, what happened, Thurston cut loose and made a break which lead to a try. 

What a night, one to reminder, it was the best game me and the Mrs have ever attended. 

Everyone got autographs after the match as they travelled the full round of the ground. 

The Cowboys look ready for a big year. All the Mechandise was sold-out at games end and the event was run brilliantly with alcohol limits and a good police presence and no trouble whatsoever. 

1st trail in 7 years for Toowoomba, both teams were well received. 

Happy days. 

Edited by oikee, 23 February 2014 - 12:02 AM.

#8 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:24 AM

Thanks for the Run Down Oikee, the cows are looking sounding like a team on a roll of confidence.

Sounds like a great night out , rare to see a trial that fits the bill of best games you'll see ( I have to go back to 1995 Warriors V Canberra Raiders at the old spiritual home of Rugby league in NZ the now defunct Carlaw park ).

They sound red hot , and it's little surprise really , the way they tackled in Auckland and ran hard ( no Thurston too ) in the nines displayed the core elements of winning thirteens side.

Big things are coming for the Cowboys......hopefully Injuries are kind this season, I think they will upset a few.

Got me beers in for this afternoon , chips and Dip , Sausages and steak on the Barbie ( Shrimps too cliche these days ).

Warriors V Broncos the day after the Auckland Blues played the Otago Highlanders at forsythes bar ( yes they name stadiums for what they really are in NZ....over sized pubs ).
Hopefully the NRL game gets a good crowd , the Rugby mad City of Dunedin saw a good crowd last night ( not quite a sell out at a small stadium ).

As Oikee's post illustrates....taking the game to the people is where it is at......brilliant.

#9 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 04:27 AM

The Warriors V Bronco's trial turned out to be a no contest

Warriors 48 , Bronco's 4

It's only a trial but that Warriors new line up moved the ball all over the park in the same way their best ever 2002-2003 team was capable of doing.

The most exciting thing for the Warriors is their new signings all had exciting games ( Tomkins , Townsend , Bukuya were all class ).

Matt Elliot will be pleased they only conceded 4 points. Although the Warriors look unbeatable , the true test will come when they face a big forward pack.

Side notes : Tomkins bagged his first Try and several assists.

Townsend looks the exact  model of the boring , tradesmen , consistent Back the Warriors have been missing.

Young Warriors Fusitua , Kata and Lolohea look more promising than their NRL incumbent team mates.

Early days , poor form over the Eels who are playing well, round one will be formative for their entire season.

Edited by mt smart, 23 February 2014 - 10:20 AM.

#10 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:14 AM

The Warriors V Bronco's trial turned out to be a no contest

Warriors 54 , Bronco's 4

It's only a trial but that Warriors new line up moved the ball all over the park in the same way their best ever 2002-2003 team was capable of doing.

The most exciting thing for the Warriors is their new signings all had exciting games ( Tomkins , Townsend , Bukuya were all class ).

Matt Elliot will be pleased they only conceded 4 points. Although the Warriors look unbeatable , the true test will come when they face a big forward pack.

Side notes : Tomkins bagged his first Try and several assists.

Townsend looks the exact  model of the boring , tradesmen , consistent Back the Warriors have been missing.

Young Warriors Fusitua , Kata and Lolohea look more promising than their NRL incumbent team mates.

Early days , poor form over the Eels who are playing well, round one will be formative for their entire season.

Great win by the Warriors, and i think the Broncos are just about cooked. 

I said Cows Warriors final and i will be sticking strong with these two teams making the Grand final. 

I must have known something, i bought a Cowboys cap at the game on the weekend. Mind you i gave up on the Broncos when they put Henjack in charge, now with Griffith they look completely lost. 

Anyhow, happy days. The two teams i have earmarked this year are firing well. Early days. 

Tomkins Johnson and Townsend look very good. Those young Warriors all look good. 

Shame they never got a bigger crowd. Maybe the Union game put a lot off from coming. They might lose this game if they dont turn up, why hold a game in a city if they are not going to show up. Take it to another city that wants a game. 

A double header at Suncorp would have nearly filled the stadium in Brisbane with the Warriors Strom Dogs and Broncos. 

The NRL has to stay on top of these places that dont show interest. We cant afford to play politics with NZ. 

Edited by oikee, 23 February 2014 - 08:20 AM.

#11 JimBronco

JimBronco
  • Coach
  • 242 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Do you guys think Josh Starling will get more game time this season? What about Pauli Pauli? I heard they played well in the trail games.

5262438-3x2-700x467.jpg

#12 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 642 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Do you guys think Josh Starling will get more game time this season? What about Pauli Pauli? I heard they played well in the trail games.

I Heard both went well also. Starling would be in with a good shot wouldn't he ? with the release / retirement of Four experienced forwards ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users