Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ref for Halifax Thomason merged threads

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 BLUEROVER

BLUEROVER
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:02 AM

Ref: M Thomason Touch J: S Ansell Touch J: P Stockman Reserve: J Lowery M Com: P Crashley

#2 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:45 PM

Oh dear

He goes with the top teams

You may be in bovver tomorrow

;)

#3 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

That was dire inept and inconsistent refereeing;

#4 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

Sadly, Mr.Thomason was the most prominent person on the field today:-

Rovers race into a 12 point lead. Penalty count at that point: 3-1 in Rovers favour.

Fax hit back and score 20 unanswered points thanks to 7 consecutive penalties in their favour. Penalty count 3-8.

Rovers come back and score 16 unanswered points thanks to 5 consecutive penalties in their favour. Penalty count ends up 8-8.

And what was his decision re Keegan Hirst's disallowed try? If he lost the ball over the line surely it should have been a 20m re-start? Did anyone at the P.O.R. end see it?

#5 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:58 PM

I've already put a post under the topic "Ref for Halifax". After Rovers initial 12-0 lead, all the Fax's points were scored during a period of 7 consecutive penalties. He then evened it up and Rovers got 5 consecutive penalties to hit back with 16 points.

#6 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,207 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

I've already put a post under the topic "Ref for Halifax". After Rovers initial 12-0 lead, all the Fax's points were scored during a period of 7 consecutive penalties. He then evened it up and Rovers got 5 consecutive penalties to hit back with 16 points.

That's exactly what I thought. It wasn't just penalties though - during the 60 minute period when the ref was favouring 'Fax, all the 505/50's went their way as well.  Then suddenly it was as though someone had turned a switch and he started penalising them for stuff they'd been doing all the game.

"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#7 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

I was behind the sticks, thought Fax knocked it out but he was definately short of line anyway for me and he couldve lost it in act of trying to score, there were that many bodies though it coulddve gone either way that descision

That said, if Hirst wouldve passed it, we wouldnt be having this conversation

Edited by elppaxr2i, 23 February 2014 - 06:15 PM.

#8 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

I was stood behind the sticks. He dropped it as he was tackled for me, and was short of the line at the time.

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#9 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Sadly, Mr.Thomason was the most prominent person on the field today:-

Rovers race into a 12 point lead. Penalty count at that point: 3-1 in Rovers favour.

Fax hit back and score 20 unanswered points thanks to 7 consecutive penalties in their favour. Penalty count 3-8.

Rovers come back and score 16 unanswered points thanks to 5 consecutive penalties in their favour. Penalty count ends up 8-8.

And what was his decision re Keegan Hirst's disallowed try? If he lost the ball over the line surely it should have been a 20m re-start? Did anyone at the P.O.R. end see it?

Not sure if it was the Hirst incident, but there was at least once when the ball was knocked on and ended up over the dead ball line where he gave a scrum rather than what should have been a 20m tap

#10 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:53 PM

The ref is the least of our worries. Hirst lost it short of the line, I thought it was stripped though.

#11 sandalrover

sandalrover
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

Not Mr Thomasons finest hour today. I was directly in front of the Hirst incident , he was correct on this occasion.
Very interesting stats from Steve Slater, the game was clearly influenced today by reffing decisions.
A few random thoughts on the season so far (some may disagree)
- we can't carry on without a recognised stand off (no disrespect to Bussey)
- looking forward to Etu who hopefully can give us a spark
- I don't understand why Bostock isn't getting more game time
- we look organised in defence apart from our on own line where we seem vulnerable ( sheffield will have a field day)
- hopefully we will click again and find a rhythm over the next couple of weeks ( during the theoretically easier games)

#12 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

Have they changed the rules regarding knocking the moving ball dead with a foot out of play? I was down that end and the ball was moving he planted his foot out of play and knocked the ball dead and the idiot ref give a drop out. Rules changed?..
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!

#13 Cardypaul

Cardypaul
  • Players
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:13 PM

Thought he was very poor today. To be honest it's a very difficult job but he looked like he was making it up as he went along.

#14 Ajv

Ajv
  • Players
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:12 PM

Have they changed the rules regarding knocking the moving ball dead with a foot out of play? I was down that end and the ball was moving he planted his foot out of play and knocked the ball dead and the idiot ref give a drop out. Rules changed?..

I think he knocked on in the act. I'd just flown in from Gaborone, Botswana and forgot my distance glasses but that's what it appeared to be my friend.

#15 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:17 PM

It was his inconsistency that was the most disturbing. Penalized

us for not playing ball correctly but lo and behold Fax committing same offence, no penalty

As with the SL, the promotion to full time professional referees has subscribed nothing extra to our game, in fact in many cases the situation has deteriorated..

#16 micngill

micngill
  • Coach
  • 300 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

I thought the Hirst disallowed try was right. For me he lost control of the ball there may have been a hand in but no attempt to rip out. But I thought this was on the last tackle so surely the result should have been a handover not a scrum? Will have to watch the video to check.

#17 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 10,038 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:06 PM

I thought the Hirst disallowed try was right. For me he lost control of the ball there may have been a hand in but no attempt to rip out. But I thought this was on the last tackle so surely the result should have been a handover not a scrum? Will have to watch the video to check.

it was right in front of us and a clear knock on
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#18 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:57 PM

I think he knocked on in the act. I'd just flown in from Gaborone, Botswana and forgot my distance glasses but that's what it appeared to be my friend.

Except that if he'd got a foot over the dead ball line as soon as he touched the ball it would be dead and therefore he couldn't knock on.....

#19 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:36 PM

It was his inconsistency that was the most disturbing. Penalized

us for not playing ball correctly but lo and behold Fax committing same offence, no penalty

As with the SL, the promotion to full time professional referees has subscribed nothing extra to our game, in fact in many cases the situation has deteriorated..

To me it was so predictable. When it was 12-20 to Fax and the penalty count was 3-8 in their favour after 7 consecutive penalties to them, I said to my friend "You watch....The ref will even up the penalty count and Fev will get back into the game!". Lo and behold the count ended up at 8 each! I could have made a fortune on in-play betting!

But its no joke: last week at Dewsbury, Fev had a massive penalty advantage in the first half, and full credit to the Rams for keeping us out, but the penalties started going the other way in the second half. Was this genuine, or a subconscious attempt  to even up the penalty count?

What could happen this season is that heavily beaten sides might be allowed back in the game to even things up to such an extent that they snatch a bonus point, which could decide their league position and how much cash they get next year! 

#20 lingard

lingard
  • Coach
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

There is far too much interference by the refs in this country, stopping and starting play. This is one of the reasons why we will never compete against the Aussies. Their game has hardly any stoppages and the intensity remains high because of this. We stop start all game by the continually interfering of the referees.
I demand to have some booze, I want it here and I want it now!