TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Station Road

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Some of you may find this of interest - simply go to the page, type in Swinton and reminisce

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk

I found this one on which I have dropped a few markers

EAW000880

#2 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 806 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:33 PM

Some of you may find this of interest - simply go to the page, type in Swinton and reminisce

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk

I found this one on which I have dropped a few markers

EAW000880

Any chance you could drop a marker in to show where you would like the new ground to be if all goes well with the good doctor (sincerely hope it does)

Thanks

The Baron

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#3 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:10 PM

Any chance you could drop a marker in to show where you would like the new ground to be if all goes well with the good doctor (sincerely hope it does)

Thanks

The Baron

The proposed site is not actually shown on any of the images - it is located adjacent to what was Swinton Town Hall roughly as the attached link

EAW000886

#4 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 06:13 PM

The proposed site is not actually shown on any of the images - it is located adjacent to what was Swinton Town Hall roughly as the attached link

EAW000886

EAW000886

sorry correct link

#5 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Class of 63 - What is / was The Klon please?

Never heard of it!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#6 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

It was a dirt track connecting Cromwell Rd to What was Moss Lane but later becoming Mossfield Rd. There were a series of allotments on one side and the playing fields of Cromwell Rd school on the other John.

#7 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

The Klon? Yes, I think I know the answer having attended Cromwell Road Secondary Modern School for Boys (1957-62) like old Lions such as Barry Simpson, Brian Robinson, Derek Whitehead, Graham Williams, Reg Williams and several more since. The school's sports field and Mossfield Primary School now cover the land which was known until the late ‘50s as the klon, bordered by Sefton Road, the allotments footpath, Destructor Road (parallel to Ackworth Road) and what was originally Moss Lane (Pendlebury), now called Mossfield Road.

The klon was, I think, more or less a wasteland of some sort, but at the dawn of the 1960s it was landscaped and transformed into a large grassed playing field for all the Cromwell Road schools. Mossfield Primary School only appeared on one corner of the field a decade or so later. However, the klon's soil was contaminated to some degree and soon after, in a few cases, boys received quite nasty infections as a result of having sustained cuts during games. Other fellow 'crommy-dogs' will probably be able to add more on the subject.

No wonder Spelly's never heard of it - he's a bl**dy foreigner from Monton.

I bet Glenngary can embellish more regarding the Klon as he went to Crommy too, although a couple of years before me (1955-59?). Over to you GG.

:yahoo:

Edited by Blue Monkey, 22 February 2014 - 01:33 PM.

#8 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:18 AM

It was a dirt track connecting Cromwell Rd to What was Moss Lane but later becoming Mossfield Rd. There were a series of allotments on one side and the playing fields of Cromwell Rd school on the other John.

No Alan it wasn't, that 'dirt track' was (and still is) Destructor Road (Cromwell Road - Mossfield Road (previously Moss Lane, Pendlebury)).

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:01 AM

Keith destructor road runs from Cromwell rd up to Mossfield rd, on one side you have the school on the other the backs of the houses in Calder Dr, one of them being no 18 where I was born.
Half way up Destructor Rd was the electric sub station and the the Rd was then running at the back of the houses on Ackworth Rd, with Mossfield Primary on the other side.
To the best of my knowledge and in all tgevtimeci lived around that area the Klon was the dirt track as I described.

#10 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:06 AM

I do agree though that the playing fields were indeed a disgrace and often you would unearth stone, glass and brick.
Incidentally on the site of the all weather pitch I remember a pond where as kids we went to catch newts and frogs.
I also recall watching Swinton training on there with an ageing Ken Gowers leading the warm up run.
Gee Keith I am Morphing into you now.

#11 Spelly

Spelly
  • Coach
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for the info gents!

I admit to being (as Keith eludes to) a foreigner, being the proud Montonian that I am!

Spelly,

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

#12 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

... was the dirt track as I described.

Perhaps it was called that when you were a youngster on Calder Drive, but it was essentially what is now the playing field. (the dirt track = Destructor Road).

The 'destructor' itself was a stock brick building near the corner of Sefton Road and Destructor Road. I think it was mainly used to incinerate certain types of rubbish.

Mention of Calder Drive reminds me of one day in about 1961 when we were having an English lesson in Mr Jones' classroom, one of those which overlooked Destructor Road and the backs of Calder Drive. At the time the houses were being built and one former pupil was clearly to be heard merrily singing away as he laboured high up in the scaffolding. Deputy Head Mr Jones noticed and said "I see Melvin Owen is in fine voice today"

#13 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

The Klon? Yes, I think I know the answer having attended Cromwell Road Secondary Modern School for Boys (1957-62) like old Lions such as Barry Simpson, Brian Robinson, Derek Whitehead, Graham Williams, Reg Williams and several more since. The school's sports field and Mossfield Primary School now cover the land which was known until the late ‘50s as the klon, bordered by Sefton Road, the allotments footpath, Destructor Road (parallel to Ackworth Road) and what was originally Moss Lane (Pendlebury), now called Mossfield Road.
The klon was, I think, more or less a wasteland of some sort, but at the dawn of the 1960s it was landscaped and transformed into a large grassed playing field for all the Cromwell Road schools. Mossfield Primary School only appeared on one corner of the field a decade or so later. However, the klon's soil was contaminated to some degree and soon after, in a few cases, boys received quite nasty infections as a result of having sustained cuts during games. Other fellow 'crommy-dogs' will probably be able to add more on the subject.

No wonder Spelly's never heard of it - he's a bl**dy foreigner from Monton.

I bet Glengarry can embellish more regarding the Klon as he went to Crommy too, although a couple of years before me (1955-59?). Over to you GG.
My dad outdates even you I think Keith ha ha
He agrees with your description. ..of destructor rd...thus called as at the bottom of the klon or klon..dyke was a chimney which was some sort of incinerator or waste disposal building which would have led to the contamination. It was the destructor. Thus destructor road. The klon itself being the waste land surrounding and the space left when it was knocked down as it never worked properly.

:yahoo:

#14 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:48 AM

Apologies for the lay out above

#15 GLENNGARY

GLENNGARY
  • Coach
  • 237 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Keith most of what as been said about the klon is right but another interesting use for the klon is not as well known. During the second world war the klon was used by the R.A.F to station barrage balloons to protect chloride batteries and the m.e.l which were essential factoriesfor the war effort. The m.e.l was esspecially targetted as it was german owned but was manufacturing weapons for the british army. One attempt on the two factories colminated in the bombs being dropped in the vicinity of the station hotel pendlebury destroying several sreets of terraced houses and killing several people.

#16 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:49 PM

One attempt on the two factories colminated in the bombs being dropped in the vicinity of the station hotel pendlebury destroying several sreets of terraced houses and killing several people.

My great-grandmother, one of her sons (Herbert) and his wife were killed just before Christmas 1940 when the Luftwaffe dropped a land mine near the top of Bridge Street, Pendlebury. Theirs was one of only four houses in New Hall Street, a little street running between Cavendish Street and Hopwood Street (both off Bridge Street). Herbert and his wife's headstone in St Augustine's churchyard says "killed by enemy action".

#17 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

See you live and learn, I never realised that the Germans dropped land mines, I do recall the air raid shelters in the play ground of Cromwell rd school.

#18 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:34 PM

There were air raid shelters on the side streets off Bolton Road and concrete anchor blocks with metal rings to tether barrage balloons in the fields across from the Children's Hospital. My first memory is of our kitchen table with a mattress on top to protect us (!). 1943!

My second memory is of my Dad taking me around Piccadilly in Manchester where there were huge piles of rubble. Huge to me anyway, I might have been three!
Posted Image

#19 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 251 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Great to see all the responses and memories of the 'Klon'  all of which are relatively accurate in my opinion- don't know why it was called the Klon we just called it that - I was born in 1943 and lived on Moss Lane and Carlisle Street until 21 years old - went to Cromwell Road and walked across the Klon - went to Station Road and walked across the Klon and played on the Klon in the underground shelters etc and I will stand corrected but I think I remember Derek Whitehead practising his goal kicking on the Klon (and we know how good he became) - great memories but to go back to my original post and the aerial photo how imposing was Station Road ??

#20 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:39 AM

Great to see all the responses and memories of the 'Klon' all of which are relatively accurate in my opinion- don't know why it was called the Klon we just called it that - I was born in 1943 and lived on Moss Lane and Carlisle Street until 21 years old - went to Cromwell Road and walked across the Klon - went to Station Road and walked across the Klon and played on the Klon in the underground shelters etc and I will stand corrected but I think I remember Derek Whitehead practising his goal kicking on the Klon (and we know how good he became) - great memories but to go back to my original post and the aerial photo how imposing was Station Road ??

Always thought 'Klon' was a corruption of 'Klondike' - perhaps ironic, as it was renowned not for the earth being full of gold, but all manner of other *stuff*.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users