Two Cambridge Blues go to the dark side

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:01 PM

A president and a captain of Cambridge University ARLFC will be wearing the dark blue of Oxford after being signed by Championship One side Oxford Rugby League.

Cambridge old boys Andy Winfield and Ed Hayles have both signed for the professional club for the upcoming season, due to start days before the 2014 Pcubed Rugby League Varsity Match on 6 March.

Winfield, 22, began playing rugby league in 2010 while studying physics at St John’s College and played in three Varsity matches.   In 2013 he was President of the light blues and was selected for South East England Students.   Now teaching in Birmingham, he has represented GB Teachers.

Winfield joins Oxford Rugby League after its successful first year. On signing, he said "I'm really excited to be joining Oxford RL. I followed the progress of the club closely last year and I'm looking forward to helping the club build upon what was a very promising first season."

Winfield is joined by fellow Cambridge Blue, 30-year-old backrow Ed Hayles.   Hayles, who has represented Elmbridge Eagles, Realmont, Lescure-Arthes and Gloucester Warriors, appeared on Sky Sports after giving up a successful career as a City stockbroker to play professional rugby league in the south of France.

Halyes studied history at Queens' College and played in two Varsity Matches, losing out on a third whilst captain due to injury.   He said “I’m looking forward to running out at the historic Iffley Road ground, but I have to admit it will be strange to be wearing dark blue – even if it’s not Oxford University!”

Mark Ramsdale, organiser of the Varsity Match, a Vice-President of the Cambridge University club, and board director at Oxford Rugby League summarised “both clubs have produced professional and representative rugby league players and it’s great to see another two Oxbridge graduates playing rugby league in the professional ranks; let’s hope there’s more to come.”

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,148 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:13 PM

Fantastic. This what RL needs. We've never been an establishment sport but we need to be (to an extent obviously).

#3 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

Good headline Honor. :hi: 

#4 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,300 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:14 PM

Thanks, but I can't take the credit.

The item came in as a press release and all I did was remove two words - `Rugby League' - from a great headline.

They just seemed unnecessary adjuncts to `Cambridge Blues' for a posting on Totalrl.com Community forum.  What other kind of Cambridge or Oxford Blues are ever likely to make headline news on here?  [No disrespect to Blues intended - of either shade of blue]

Great sportsmen and women they are, all of them (?sports people / sports persons?), but a long headline can sometimes be too long for the space you get given to fit it in.

:bye:

Edited by Honor James, 21 February 2014 - 11:15 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users