• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jwilliams15

jwilliams15
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 02:12 PM

Hi all,

I am currently a 3rd Year student, studying at Uclan conducting research for my dissertation titled: How does Religion and culture effect participation and perceptions of rugby league. My basis for the research is to discover why rugby league is such a minority sport and how barriers can be broken down to encourage more people to be involved in our beloved game! This short questionnaire will aim to get a fans point of view. The survey is anonymous and will take approximately 5 minutes to complete and all data collected will be held anonymously and securely. Any personal details will be destroyed upon completion.

Thank you in advance

Josh

http://www.surveygiz...-of-my-research

#2 vitocorleone

vitocorleone
  • Coach
  • 679 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

Hi Josh,

I recommend you try and read Rugby League in Twentieth Century Britain. A social and cultural History.

May I also add RL has always been an inclusive sport. I think our brandy drinking, kick and chase rah rah rugby cousins` code has been the exclusive rugby code, as this book illustrates.

Edited by vitocorleone, 21 February 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#3 jwilliams15

jwilliams15
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

hi, vitocorleone, thanks for the advice, 

I have in fact come across the book and used some of the text in my research, I do believe that people have distorted views on rugby league and what I am trying to discover using this survey To gather the opinions of rugby league fans, and contrast them with the opinions of ethnic minorities who have no involvement in rugby league. To discover if there are any discrepancies.

Thanks Josh

#4 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,747 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

hi, vitocorleone, thanks for the advice, 

I have in fact come across the book and used some of the text in my research, I do believe that people have distorted views on rugby league and what I am trying to discover using this survey To gather the opinions of rugby league fans, and contrast them with the opinions of ethnic minorities who have no involvement in rugby league. To discover if there are any discrepancies.

Thanks Josh

Hi Josh, you might try contacting former player Ikram Butt who now acts as an ambassador for Asian groups involved in the game. He has long banged the drum for the game within the Asian community and probably knows better than anybody the problems involved in popularising the sport - believe he has written a book on the subject. Seems to me there is a similarity between RL and cricket when it comes to attitudes. Even back in the nineties, the question was asked, why aren't young Asians who are steeped in the culture of cricket, making it through to the county game. The reason seemed to be, that they preferred to play in their own leagues, which would have been more mindful of the players religious obligations, something not considered, one assumes, by the larger county backed clubs such as those in the YCL. These days of course, Asian lads feature quite strongly in the Yorkshire side, but it has taken a couple of decades and a lot of hard work - I reckon RL will need to put in the same kind of effort.

Good luck with the project Josh - incidentally, your old man was one of my all time favourite Dewsbury players. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users