No Saxton

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:34 AM

Looks like Saxton to miss out this week Going on performance last week surely he would of been one of the first in the squad

#2 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,158 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:01 AM

Looks like Saxton to miss out this week Going on performance last week surely he would of been one of the first in the squad

Yeah, I thought Tommy was one of our best men last week, but at the end of the day we are not the coach, and the size and quality of our squad this season is a luxury, but an headache for the coach.
Im Fev and im proud

#3 bradford rover

bradford rover
  • Players
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:36 AM

think the squad will be rotated quite a lot this season

#4 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 261 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:14 PM

if true i think its a joke he was one of the better players last week and he is far superior to chisolm at getting us out of our twenty especially in the heavier ground....brave decision based on the importance of tomorrows game

#5 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

No joke about having pace over power on our wider pitch , hes already scored some corkers at fev

#6 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Depending upon performance Sunday, that will be the time to rotate. Reckon nowt to changing for changing sake

#7 dydo

dydo
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:34 PM

Rotate to suit opposition in some cases !

#8 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 215 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

If every player carry out their duties on the park, they should be able to handle whatever is put in front of them. Rotation for the sake of rotation = unsettled players IMO.

#9 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

If every player carry out their duties on the park, they should be able to handle whatever is put in front of them. Rotation for the sake of rotation = unsettled players IMO.

Totally agree but this shows that players are not been selected on performance Personally I don't think we will see much of Tommy this year he not high up in the coaches pecking order and what will he have to do to keep his place in the team

#10 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:00 PM

if true i think its a joke he was one of the better players last week and he is far superior to chisolm at getting us out of our twenty especially in the heavier ground....brave decision based on the importance of tomorrows game

Not that i agree saxton should be dropped but on the other hand dont think chisholm did too bad scampering down the wing leaving fax defenders for dust on our "heavy pitch" in the friendly vs fax either

Edited by elppaxr2i, 22 February 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#11 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:23 PM

We lost last week because we couldn't score when we were well on top, and Jamel has been our top finisher so far, but he hasn't got Tommy's work rate.

It's JB's choice, so let's back him. We lost the best coach in the game twice by criticising his selections!  

#12 ethelred the unready

ethelred the unready
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:55 AM

Not sure we as supporters have been responsible for the departure of any of the coaching staff Steve - I'd be surprised if they had any regard for the comments on this or any forum. The comings and goings of coaching staff are entirely as a result of the actions of the Board.

#13 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

I was referring to Peter Fox: He got sacked after the Wembley defeat in 1974 because fans were moaning about Mel Mason being left out. Then when he left in the early 90's a major factor was the fans on the terraces trying to pick the team, mainly over his selection of Jeff Grayshon who was approaching 40 at the time. I have a feeling that one or two fans favourites won't be automatic choices under John Bastian, but it has been proved that the best coaches often make unpopular decisions which turn out to be justified.

#14 ethelred the unready

ethelred the unready
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

Apologies Steve - my knowledge of such matters doesn't stretch back as far as yours. I have to say it is refreshing to read your posts - they appear to be written by someone who has a pretty well balanced opinion.

#15 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for that E.T.U. (Etu, now there's a name that sparks interest!) I have loved this club far too long to get hung up over certain playersbeing left out. Losing big games as red hot favourites has been a bitter pill to swallow over the last few years, and I'm more interested in reversing that trend. 

#16 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

Tommy Saxton fan club begrudgingly applauded and cheered his try today but he took it well, he ran it in well and dont remember an error being made by him today

#17 Les Tonks Sidestep

Les Tonks Sidestep
  • Coach
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

....Then when he left in the early 90's a major factor was the fans on the terraces trying to pick the team, mainly over his selection of Jeff Grayshon who was approaching 40 at the time....

I think you're trying to rewrite history there. One of the reasons he left was that the BOARD wouldn't give Grayshon a new contract (who was well into his 40s not approaching),,,,,,,,, although a substantial offer of a job at Bradford had nothing to do with it of course.

#18 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

I think you're trying to rewrite history there. One of the reasons he left was that the BOARD wouldn't give Grayshon a new contract (who was well into his 40s not approaching),,,,,,,,, although a substantial offer of a job at Bradford had nothing to do with it of course.

Didn't we still have a committee back then? I can remember Peter Fox saying on the radio that at the time Rovers were run by an elected committee, who were influenced by criticism from the terraces. Or was he referring to 1974?

#19 ruggerbeleeg

ruggerbeleeg
  • Players
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

Talk on the Fax site that Tommy has signed for them on a months loan.

Edited by ruggerbeleeg, 27 February 2014 - 04:10 PM.

#20 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 468 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

On official club site Tommy has gone to Halifax on a months loan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users