Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

No Saxton

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#21 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 PM

Confirmed - looks like he sorted the training issues out then

#22 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,125 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

Good luck to Tommy on his months loan at Fax, he's been one of our most consistent players, wonder who will be next??
Im Fev and im proud

#23 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Unusual to see him go to a major rival, but we got Barlow on loan from them last year. With Worrincey out injured though, it could give Tommy a chance to shine, and it might be his best opportunity to stake a place on our wing if he comes back (if!).

Could it also be to get him off the wage bill for a month, to make room for a loan signing coming in to us? I hope Briggsy & Kainy came through unscathed, as half-back, and a possible replacement for Nicholson, are the only areas we are short.

#24 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Good luck Tommy hope you go well at Fax Might as well play at a club that wants you that at one who doesn't

Never mind we got rid of best scrum half in championship and now one of the best wingers looks like the pre season rumours were actually true Never no it might be Kain next

#25 Deano44

Deano44
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

tommy has been a great servant to the club, and he is great coming out of our half and is a grafter...but his best years are behind him and he does not have the pace he used to have. The new tongan is rumoured to be playing at the weekend and as helliwell and Worthington had solid games I would assume he will be on the wing. so lets see what this guy brings to the table or would you rather have tommy in and him in the stands ??

Edited by Deano44, 27 February 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#26 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

I would like them both at Fev we were told that we would have a big squad this year JB said 32 players was about right for the long season looks like it was too many now What annoys me about it all is that although we look like we are trying to get a young squad ready for next season this season is probably more important than the last 4 financially I just hope it doesn't go wrong with releasing senior players and ones that wanted to play in a Fev shirt this year

#27 Terry Mullaney

Terry Mullaney
  • Coach
  • 1,988 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

I was referring to Peter Fox: He got sacked after the Wembley defeat in 1974 because fans were moaning about Mel Mason being left out. Then when he left in the early 90's a major factor was the fans on the terraces trying to pick the team, mainly over his selection of Jeff Grayshon who was approaching 40 at the time. I have a feeling that one or two fans favourites won't be automatic choices under John Bastian, but it has been proved that the best coaches often make unpopular decisions which turn out to be justified.

Steve, I think you'll find that Peter Fox resigned in 1974 to take up the job at Wakefield. He definitely wasn't sacked.
Wedding Films For The Discerning by Picture House
Free Showreel DVD On Request

http://www.pictureho...ingfilms.co.uk/

#28 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

Best wishes to Tommy who has been a great servant for the club. Someone said his best years are behind him, he's 30 years of age, I'd say he's still got a couple left. I know of Tommy a little bit, he is a quiet unassuming lad, likes a beer and is very likeable, he is a bloke who is incredibly shy which totally contrasts his aggression on the field.

It is a move that was going to happen a few months ago and it may end up being permanent, he's as good, if not better than Rettie, Someone said he'll fill in for Worrincey but I'm sure they play on different wings.

I'll always remember Tommy steaming down the left wing, chuntering to himself whilst outpacing Jonny Woodendick in the Grand Final of '11'.

His Try to level the scores against Wigan comes to mind but most of all, his total and utter commitment and ultimate ecstasy on that glorious Saturday almost two years ago now, when he towed his tripe out for Rovers to beat his beloved home town team.

Always first to training and last to leave, he was an invaluable signing ( bought to replace Jon Whittle), a great club man and is a gent. I for one, hope to that we once again see him in a Rovers shirt.

AJV

Edited by Andrew Vause, 27 February 2014 - 08:24 PM.

#29 The Grinder

The Grinder
  • Coach
  • 631 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Great servant for the club, all the best for the next month and the rest of his carear and would not be unhappy to see Tommy in a Fev shirt again in the future.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

#30 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Steve, I think you'll find that Peter Fox resigned in 1974 to take up the job at Wakefield. He definitely wasn't sacked.

Terry, The memory can play tricks over 40 years, but in that case the reason he moved on was still the same: Fans on the terraces trying to pick the team for him. 

#31 PonteBlue

PonteBlue
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

Top player for us and nice bloke.

Agree with other posts - hope to see him back in a Rovers shirt.

#32 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Best wishes to Tommy who has been a great servant for the club. Someone said his best years are behind him, he's 30 years of age, I'd say he's still got a couple left. I know of Tommy a little bit, he is a quiet unassuming lad, likes a beer and is very likeable, he is a bloke who is incredibly shy which totally contrasts his aggression on the field.

It is a move that was going to happen a few months ago and it may end up being permanent, he's as good, if not better than Rettie, Someone said he'll fill in for Worrincey but I'm sure they play on different wings.

I'll always remember Tommy steaming down the left wing, chuntering to himself whilst outpacing Jonny Woodendick in the Grand Final of '11'.

His Try to level the scores against Wigan comes to mind but most of all, his total and utter commitment and ultimate ecstasy on that glorious Saturday almost two years ago now, when he towed his tripe out for Rovers to beat his beloved home town team.

Always first to training and last to leave, he was an invaluable signing ( bought to replace Jon Whittle), a great club man and is a gent. I for one, hope to that we once again see him in a Rovers shirt.

AJV

I remember you telling us at the back end of last season Andrew that Fax were after him. When our Joe lived over that way all his school mates used to say that they thought that Tommy was our best player, and I sincerely hope they get to appreciate him as much as we did. I think he will cover for Worrincey, 'cos he'll be out a while longer, but probably on the other wing. Heaton was there for them last Sunday, but had to move back to centre when Danny Cowling got injured. If Cowling is out for a few weeks, they'll be light in the threequarters and will definitely need Tommy.

All the best wishes for such a wonderful servant to the club. 

#33 saddleworth

saddleworth
  • Coach
  • 189 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Good luck Tommy hope you go well at Fax Might as well play at a club that wants you that at one who doesn't

Never mind we got rid of best scrum half in championship and now one of the best wingers looks like the pre season rumours were actually true Never no it might be Kain next

Sterling performance by Finny at HKR last night. Kicked em to death. Our loss, someone elses gain.

#34 jt

jt
  • Coach
  • 1,630 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:46 PM

Sterling performance by Finny at HKR last night. Kicked em to death. Our loss, someone elses gain.

Correct

#35 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

Got a feeling Tommy won't be the only regular of the DP era to be loaned out, we'll see.

#36 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,111 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:35 AM

I agree. He was up with the play and dictated moves. His kicking was first class. The commentator said Cas got him for nothing- Is that right?

#37 elppaxr2i

elppaxr2i
  • Coach
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:04 PM

Yeah we released him - cas nor anyone would really want to pay a fee for a 30yr old

#38 pont rover

pont rover
  • Coach
  • 455 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:04 PM

According to the Halifax forum Tommy was their best player today,a few having digs about Ben Kaye and even more wanting Harrison sacked.

#39 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:36 PM

MOM by a country mile today. Maybe not the quickest on the pitch but came in for the ball numerous times and is still as slippery and has a great offload game. I would love to see him in a batley shirt.

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#40 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,297 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

MOM by a country mile today. Maybe not the quickest on the pitch but came in for the ball numerous times and is still as slippery and has a great offload game. I would love to see him in a batley shirt.

Tommy can play full back too but you won't see that particular Featherstone loanee in the Batley Full Back Shirt, nudge, nudge, wink,wink.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users