RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lord Derby Cup

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

Quarter Final stage this weekend. Went out to nearby Conques for the potential giant killer betwen the third tier Villegailhenc and Catalan Elite 1 side Palau. First ever time than anyone from that level has reached the last 8.Not quite sure what that says about the state of play here.Glorious winters day saw the tiny stadium on the out skirts of Carcassonne full to capacity - not far off four figs may be. Great effort by the locals to organise and promote the tie. They have a budget of just €40,000.Just a score in it at the break before the experience and class in a couple of key positions proved crucial for the visitors to take it 18-36.

VARL XIII have been around since the 1960's. Villegailhenc pop.1,357 and partner Aragon with 465 bods just a few kilometres up stream towards the Black Mountains to the north.They played in Elite 2 a few years back under the Cabardes tag. Today they are Carcassonne's reserve side and have some quality. Moly organising things played for France in the WC of 2008 and Faure, Jovani, Tiquet and Constans have played lots of Elite 1 footy. Undefeated in the league this year. They thought they have had a chance as Palau lost last weekend to their Elite 2 neighbours Baho in the league while the home side had already seen off two second tier out fits Villefranche and Carpentras in earlier rounds. What won it for the visitors was half back Marginet and back rower Touxagas.Both have played SL for the Dragons. The latter best remembered for his 80 metre winning try at Cardiff against the Quins. His father is Palau's President.

Other Results:

Toulouse 22-18 St Esteve
Lyon 14-46 Carcassonne

The fourth tie tomorrow: Avignon-Limoux

Final is at Stade Domec in Carcassonne on Sunday 13the April.

Edited by audois, 22 February 2014 - 09:04 PM.

• Skids, GeordieSaint, timtum and 4 others like this
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#2 Trojan horse

Trojan horse
  • Coach
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 09:12 PM

Thanks Audois, I really like to hear about the game in the south of France, It's very uplifting.

We moan in England about the struggle we have getting the recognition the game deserves.

But it is nothing compared to the struggle RL has had over the years in France.

Tres  bien

Edited by Trojan horse, 22 February 2014 - 09:13 PM.

• Pie tries likes this

#3 Oxford

Oxford
  • Coach
  • 184 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 05:46 PM

"C'est mon denier mot, jean-Piere! "

Thanks for the scores I admit there was a time I'd have been Carca for the match without fail. As for Villegailhenc another blast from the past reminded me, like Trojan Horse above just how tough they've had it and they keep going in the face of  indifference, prejudice and bias. Impressive! 

Thanks Audois for that, really appreciated!

#4 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Avignon grabbed the fourth and last semi spot beating Limoux 30-24. Nothing in it until the hour mark and Ferriol's dismisal. SOA have lost Gigot to London but keep producing youngsters of talent. Like what I've seen of Bissiere in the halves. I think one lad is playing in Queensland Cup and Jouffret possibily in the Academy at Warrington.

The draw for semis Thursday and ties to be played on neutral grounds. Interestingly three of the qualifiers not in the Top Pool of the 2nd phase of the Championship. Also four different 'departments' or areas represented too which is encouraging. Carcassonne's season rests on reaching the Final as its on home territory. ASC-Toulouse would be good and get the punters out.

The local Aude scene offers some hope behind ASC,FCL and Limoux at semi pro level. Villegailhenc could win the 3rd tier national title this year while Minervois and St Laurent de la Cabrerisse are two excellent set ups at the level below. There's a bit of an infrastruture there building but needs to push on.

Edited by audois, 25 February 2014 - 12:20 PM.

"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#5 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:00 PM

Audois aside from Toulouse where/who do you believe are the next best option to enter the British leagues? (unless the French league goes fully pro miraculously)

Edited by welshmagpie, 24 February 2014 - 04:00 PM.

#6 nathanwood7

nathanwood7
  • Coach
  • 119 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I see the French clubs have pulled out of the Challenge Cup this year - any idea why that is?

#7 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

I see the French clubs have pulled out of the Challenge Cup this year - any idea why that is?

Been common knowledge for a while. IIRC it wasn't all their choice

#8 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:05 PM

Audois aside from Toulouse where/who do you believe are the next best option to enter the British leagues? (unless the French league goes fully pro miraculously)

Avignon for me. They have set out their stall in recent years with three 13,000 plus crowds. There is no serious competition from soccer or union in the Vaucluse area. This region continues to turn out players of decent quality. Avignon to Perpignan is like Liverpool to Hull so a completely different catchment area.

The Aude region would be a good call too with three semi pro sides to act as feeders.Stade Domec in Carcassonne has now a new grandstand and a 10,000 capacity. Not convinced they wouldn't draw 7,000 crowds.
  • GeordieSaint and wackojacko like this

#9 welshmagpie

welshmagpie
  • Coach
  • 352 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:03 PM

Avignon for me. They have set out their stall in recent years with three 13,000 plus crowds. There is no serious competition from soccer or union in the Vaucluse area. This region continues to turn out players of decent quality. Avignon to Perpignan is like Liverpool to Hull so a completely different catchment area.

The Aude region would be a good call too with three semi pro sides to act as feeders.Stade Domec in Carcassonne has now a new grandstand and a 10,000 capacity. Not convinced they wouldn't draw 7,000 crowds.

Sounds promising. We're desperate for another professional French side.
  • wackojacko likes this

#10 pahars

pahars
  • Coach
  • 129 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:21 AM

.Stade Domec in Carcassonne has now a new grandstand and a 10,000 capacity.

That new stand is very nice when was it completed?

#11 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

Do you not think the Aude region would be too small to support fully pro rugby and too close to Perpignan? I guess, from my perspective anyway, that the bigger cities are the areas that could handle a full team side with a big budget, like Bordeaux, Lyon or Marseille even. 

Also, do you think we could potentially have a northern team in SL one day? Obviously we had PSG in the past, but what about somewhere like Le Mans, Lille or Le Havre for example? Also what is RL like in northern France? How many teams etc.? 

#12 JM2010

JM2010
  • Players
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

What is the best way forward for the French game? Including them in Superleague for the short term probably. Can anyone see the day when there's enough French teams capable of forming their own full time comp?

#13 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

That new stand is very nice when was it completed?

2 years ago.

Do you not think the Aude region would be too small to support fully pro rugby and too close to Perpignan? I guess, from my perspective anyway, that the bigger cities are the areas that could handle a full team side with a big budget, like Bordeaux, Lyon or Marseille even. 

Also, do you think we could potentially have a northern team in SL one day? Obviously we had PSG in the past, but what about somewhere like Le Mans, Lille or Le Havre for example? Also what is RL like in northern France? How many teams etc.?

You're right about the Aude in relation to the proximity of Perpignan but to me could be considered after Toulouse and Avignon. The population of the department is over 300,000. The north is more of a waste land than ever before. A decade back you had Chatillon playing in Elite 1 and after them a team in Elite 2. But both faded.

What is the best way forward for the French game? Including them in Superleague for the short term probably. Can anyone see the day when there's enough French teams capable of forming their own full time comp?

It would be good to have 10 sides playing at semi pro level for the time being! The future of the game here to me is intrinsically linked to what is happening across the Channel as is the Kiwi game is to the NRL.

Semi Final draw last night:

Carcassonne-Avignon
Palau-Toulouse

22-23 March matches to be hosted by St Esteve and Lezignan.

Edited by audois, 28 February 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#14 LionelHurst

LionelHurst
  • Players
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Hi Gordon. Great posts as ever. France has a real problem if linked to what happens here. Our wonderful game will not acquire its place on the world stage until 2 things happen -
1. The removal of those in charge of the sport in this country.
2. The establishment of a proper international board.
The fans,players and investors like me who put huge sums in to the game deserve and demand better.
  • GeordieSaint likes this

#15 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

Hi Gordon. Great posts as ever. France has a real problem if linked to what happens here. Our wonderful game will not acquire its place on the world stage until 2 things happen -
1. The removal of those in charge of the sport in this country.
2. The establishment of a proper international board.
The fans,players and investors like me who put huge sums in to the game deserve and demand better.

Lionel I've kept my counsel on this. To me recently the RFL have been on their own road to Damascus. A complete volte-face. What would R Lewis be thinking now.

Best of luck for 2014 with the All Golds!

Edited by audois, 28 February 2014 - 01:56 PM.

• GeordieSaint likes this

#16 barnyia

barnyia
  • Coach
  • 342 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:14 PM

Hello there's Nantes in the north who are really struggling in the third regional division and 2 or 3teams around Paris, they all play either in the3rd or 4th division,
Then there's Lyon, roanne and a couple of 3rd and 4th division clubs and the rest of the clubs are in the south,

#17 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 509 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

You're right about the Aude in relation to the proximity of Perpignan but to me could be considered after Toulouse and Avignon. The population of the department is over 300,000. The north is more of a waste land than ever before. A decade back you had Chatillon playing in Elite 1 and after them a team in Elite 2. But both faded.

Hello there's Nantes in the north who are really struggling in the third regional division and 2 or 3teams around Paris, they all play either in the3rd or 4th division,
Then there's Lyon, roanne and a couple of 3rd and 4th division clubs and the rest of the clubs are in the south,

Thank you both. So it seems as though there's very little RL outside the South, the FFRXIII should look at the growth of amateur RL throughout England and try to build more clubs around the country, especially with youth. I thought it was a good idea to play in Lens against Wales and with a 8000 strong crowd, hopefully we will see more games taken to the North to promote the sport. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users