Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Jam v Nwc

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#21 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Doesn't matter. The club with a budget of £75k wouldn't be in direct competition with the team with the budget of £200.

#22 gillmeister

gillmeister
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

You need to worry about where your own team' s win is going to come from before you worry about 'Haven young Mr Gilmour

This Sunday silly! And thanks for the young reference that's made my day mate
Forget Chuck and Chad I am the real legend killer

#23 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Doesn't matter. The club with a budget of £75k wouldn't be in direct competition with the team with the budget of £200.

And it isn't a given that we would get promoted right away or even a few years.   It took us 10 years last time!!

Take our current squad, which amount do you think it would fit into best?

Edited by Keith T, 24 February 2014 - 06:49 PM.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#24 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:04 PM

£75 if we got rid of a couple

#25 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:57 AM

And it isn't a given that we would get promoted right away or even a few years. It took us 10 years last time!!

Take our current squad, which amount do you think it would fit into best?

yeah you look at how far 75k would spread out and it's not very. But you have to remember it's not just 75k your dealing with, you need to add on our speedway,lottery,merchandise and with all that you should be looking at a minimum of doubling it.
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#26 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:14 AM

I doubt very much that speedway, lotto and merchandise make that much money.

#27 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:15 AM

Sponsorship also

#28 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Sponsorship also

yep all that should add up to a decent amount.

#29 Coachman

Coachman
  • Banned
  • 66 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:32 AM

With sponsorship you'd be around the 75k mark give or take, I agree.

#30 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:01 PM

yeah you look at how far 75k would spread out and it's not very. But you have to remember it's not just 75k your dealing with, you need to add on our speedway,lottery,merchandise and with all that you should be looking at a minimum of doubling it.

Well as I see it we already get all the things you mention plus £90k in central funding and we are keeping our heads above water.   In a lower league would we get the same sponsorship amount or would the lottery drop, how much merchandise would we sell.    All that is beside the negativity in being relegated.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#31 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:51 PM

I don't think it would affect any of it and it was proven last year that the gates are higher winning more games in a lower league. Added to that if we stay out of the bottom 2 we'd get a parachute payment which I think is £15k is it?

#32 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

If we go down we will lose our better players especially if any other cumbrian club stays up. We would then lose fans and it could set the club back years

#33 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:01 PM

If we go down we will lose our better players especially if any other cumbrian club stays up. We would then lose fans and it could set the club back years

ill be amazed if barrow or haven survive.

#34 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,130 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

We wouldn't lose the players if the other Cumbrian teams went down as they wouldn't want to travel out of Cumbria and it's already been proven in the last 2 years that people would rather see a winning team in a lower league than a losing team in a higher league. That isn't opinion it's proven fact.

#35 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:41 PM

If we stay up well be a winning team in a good league though. Town are staying up so let's get positive.

#36 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,681 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

I don't think it would affect any of it and it was proven last year that the gates are higher winning more games in a lower league. Added to that if we stay out of the bottom 2 we'd get a parachute payment which I think is £15k is it?

When we got promoted we finished 4th not in the first two which it will be from next season.    We finished 8th in the higher league last season which will be around the relegation places in the new higher league.    Sorry, but we have to stay up and strengthen the squad none of this going down wont be the end of the world, etc, because that is the unknown.

#37 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

When we got promoted we finished 4th not in the first two which it will be from next season. We finished 8th in the higher league last season which will be around the relegation places in the new higher league. Sorry, but we have to stay up and strengthen the squad none of this going down wont be the end of the world, etc, because that is the unknown.

thats a very good point Keith. If we stay up be WILL be secure in our future. If we go down, we have no idea what the future holds.

#38 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

I worry if things continue to be a struggle we'll get more of this ' it won't be so bad ' argument about getting relegated . Oh I think it will . Less money , less attraction to good players , risk of losing our better players , poorer standard of rugby with some awful trips ( we had this for 10 years and it wasn't great ) , no guarantee we'll be winning and romping up soon as it'll be just as much a dogfight as this league , no guarantee on attendances ... Why can't we strengthen and not go bust ? We've hardly splashed out so far have we . Surely there's funds there after what we lost to at least work the loan system - if not then let's know and we'll handle it .The worry is are the players there now , and why should other teams were looking to help us ? We're in a tricky spot , needing reinforcements but with no certainty it's gonna happen in time , if at all , to make a big difference. Staying up is big financial security while we hold it , we must try all we can now to nail it .

Edited by DavidM, 25 February 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#39 kiln7

kiln7
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:13 PM

What is this thread all about CR### we have only had two games and all this talk about going down bloody hell,good win sunday three points out of three games??????

#40 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 5,328 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

It's a debate and a valid one ! Doesn't mean it's gonna happen . I think it's fair debate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users