Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Rochdale 12 Rams 42 - Discuss the game here

match reports

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,525 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:10 PM

Must be in with a really good chance of having 3 wins under our belt by the time we play Whitehaven.
If that doesn't give a boost to our home attendance I don't know what will.

Edited by Tom Coates, 24 February 2014 - 03:18 PM.

Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#2 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

if we can overcome our bogey  Eagles team we can be top two when we play the two pointers on Good Friday.

#3 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:08 PM

if we can overcome our bogey  Eagles team we can be top two when we play the two pointers on Good Friday.

Good grief we are getting carried away. Am waiting until Monday before I start wearing the rams shirt to bed!

#4 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:10 AM

Good grief we are getting carried away. Am waiting until Monday before I start wearing the rams shirt to bed!

Look at the fixtures .In order to stay up we would expect to win 4 of the next 5 if we beat seagulls we will be undefeated going into good friday.

Edited by EQUALIZER, 20 February 2014 - 01:25 AM.

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:38 AM

Look at the fixtures .In order to stay up we would expect to win 4 of the next 5 if we beat seagulls we will be undefeated going into good friday.

Aye, and as my granddad would have said "if ifs and buts were promises we would all be rich" - no, thinking about it, he actually said "if 't dog adn't stopped for a sit, it would a copped t' rabbit" - or something like that. ;)

#6 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:03 AM

Aye, and as my granddad would have said "if ifs and buts were promises we would all be rich" - no, thinking about it, he actually said "if 't dog adn't stopped for a sit, it would a copped t' rabbit" - or something like that. ;)

good to see the lack of optimism still persists.

#7 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

One thing we can't afford to do is underestimate Rochdale and also Doncaster in our next 2. No games a guaranteed win although we will probably be favourites for the next 2. We have to to make sure we are switched on every week. We all remember barrow away last season after our good start to the season. Hammering them at halftime, didn't turn up 2nd half and got a spanking! Something tells me though that this season we have a lot more experience in the side to make sure complacency doesn't happen. Ie Godwin, Thackeray ect.. ( on top of likes of prycey, heppi, spicer, ect) Compared to last season when we started off with a very young side . The good thing about this year is we have a good blend of good kids and experience with good players and backup in the squad . Something we perhaps lacked last season. Austin, grayshon, Farrell, wright, tonks , Lillycrop, murphy, Robinson, maranka and schoey are all capable of doing a good job when needed

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 20 February 2014 - 11:28 AM.

#8 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,217 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

One thing we can't afford to do is underestimate Rochdale and also Doncaster in our next 2. No games a guaranteed win although we will probably be favourites for the next 2. We have to to make sure we are switched on every week. We all remember barrow away last season after our good start to the season. Hammering them at halftime, didn't turn up 2nd half and got a spanking! Something tells me though that this season we have a lot more experience in the side to make sure complacency doesn't happen. Ie Godwin, Thackeray ect.. ( on top of likes of prycey, heppi, spicer, ect) Compared to last season when we started off with a very young side . The good thing about this year is we have a good blend of good kids and experience with good players and backup in the squad . Something we perhaps lacked last season. Austin, grayshon, Farrell, wright, tonks , Lillycrop, murphy, Robinson, maranka and schoey are all capable of doing a good job when needed

Don't worry DTID. Any misplaced confidence will be restricted solely to some supporters and I can't imagine GM allowing any hint of complacency to spread within the squad.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#9 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,493 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:26 PM

Rochdale will be no different in approach to Featherstone.The point i was making is that out of the next 5 games 4 are against teams which might be in the scrap at the bottom.Win them and we can look upwards rather than below us. Never mind the doom and gloomers brigade.

#10 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:22 PM

I agree equalizer. They are winnable, and aslong as we don't underestimate them we should win. Roll on Sunday!

#11 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:26 PM

I forgot to mension young Nolan and Beckett too earlier. We have some decent lads to come in if we get afew injuries

#12 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:57 PM

Featherstone only had to turn up to win didn't they? They showed no respect in running those kickable penalties and look what happened to them.

We must guard against complacency. We do not have the right to win. The team must earn a victory and that means every game, especially when we might be judged favourites.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#13 silcoates

silcoates
  • Players
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

A few years ago now i remember going to watch dewsbury at rochdale,hot favourites to win.

They came out winners by about 40 odd points.

A certain ex dews player called wood rang rings round us.I think another ex dews player patchnack played also

.[sorry about the spelling patch].

listen to c f.

#14 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Former ram ian talbot is Rochdale coach

#15 JimbobRam

JimbobRam
  • Coach
  • 362 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:19 PM

Rochdale won't be easy on Sunday guys.
They've got the Fijian half back playing who respertned Fiji in the World Cup in Ryan Millard.
Apparently they were due to play 5 dual players aganist Sheffield last week to till it got cancelled.
One of them was Mark Flangan who has played in the NRL with Wests tigers .
Apparently there all playing aganist us on Sunday so will be tough.

#16 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:13 AM

It's always better, and perhaps helps you to keep sober, if you perceive your glass as half full rather than half empty.

But remember, there's always a few "beer bandits" about. Like Rochdale and Doncaster at home.

(I do like my metaphors well mixed. irrespective of the level in the glass)

#17 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:54 AM

good to see the lack of optimism still persists.

Here's a quote from another pessimist. "“It was a good win, but it is only one win. We have still got improvements in us. We were a bit off with the ball," yes GM also tempers his optimism with pragmatism.

To assume that the likes of Rochdale, Donny and haven will just roll over for us on the strength of one (impressive) win against a top club, would be showing the kind of disrespect that probably cost fev the game on sunday. FWIW I am optimistic before and during every match (until reality sets in), but I certainly am not even thinking about the Sheffield match or what position we might occupy come easter. I admire your enthusiasm and optimism Equalizer I really do, but I aren't quite ready to start thinking about what we are going to do with the cash we get for being table toppers at the end of the season. I still think about the lessons to be learnt from our friends over the valley, who turned Leigh over on their own gaff, and beat fev, but contrived to lose at home to Donny and Workington - the sporting gods can be very fickle.

#18 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,631 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

It's always better, and perhaps helps you to keep sober, if you perceive your glass as half full rather than half empty.

But remember, there's always a few "beer bandits" about. Like Rochdale and Doncaster at home.

(I do like my metaphors well mixed. irrespective of the level in the glass)

Makes no odds lattopper - just means theres room for more beer. ;)

Edited by grumpyoldram, 21 February 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#19 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 12:44 PM

Here's a quote from another pessimist. "“It was a good win, but it is only one win. We have still got improvements in us. We were a bit off with the ball," yes GM also tempers his optimism with pragmatism.

To assume that the likes of Rochdale, Donny and haven will just roll over for us on the strength of one (impressive) win against a top club, would be showing the kind of disrespect that probably cost fev the game on sunday. FWIW I am optimistic before and during every match (until reality sets in), but I certainly am not even thinking about the Sheffield match or what position we might occupy come easter. I admire your enthusiasm and optimism Equalizer I really do, but I aren't quite ready to start thinking about what we are going to do with the cash we get for being table toppers at the end of the season. I still think about the lessons to be learnt from our friends over the valley, who turned Leigh over on their own gaff, and beat fev, but contrived to lose at home to Donny and Workington - the sporting gods can be very fickle.

Top Post grumpy: from another grumpy....

#20 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

Let's not get carried away and take each game as it comes. We need to respect every team we play whether we are favourites or not. Rochdale will be a hard game as they have some very experienced players especially with the D/R players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users