match reports

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 834 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

Match report on the Rochdale website , also links to YouTube for the whole game.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#42 YOUNG UN

YOUNG UN
  • Coach
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:26 PM

I wasn't there today but Sheriff hasn't really impressed me so far. What has happened to Jordan Grayston, who I understood to be an outstanding full back? I do hope that we're not going to have a team that "picks itself" despite the winning start. Players need to feel that there is competition for a starting place.

Now I wouldn't expect that of you BSJ. We've played 2 games and won both. GM will change the team, I'm sure, as time goes on but be honest, would you have changed the team that won so well last week? I don't think so. Players need to think there is competition but when they play out of their skins to beat the title favourites I believe they deserve a second chance. Sheriff had a good game last week and deserved to be in this week. Maybe next week Grayston will get his chance,Personally I'd like to see the same team again next week,provided Hemingway recovers. Fev only made one change today Chisolm for Saxton and won. Don't change a team just for the sake of it. 

#43 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:57 PM

I agree with you young un. We should only change if and when we get injuries. One bad game or afew mistakes doesn't mean a player will be like that every week

Edited by DEWSBURY TIL I DIE, 23 February 2014 - 09:58 PM.

#44 Crown Flatter

Crown Flatter
  • Coach
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

For all I criticised Sheriff on his defence, he certainly knows how to break the line (well sometimes and at others likes to pass the ball and leave it to someone else) and did have some telling runs.

Like Young Un, I would keep the winning team if possible.
Legs, Dews, Legs.

#45 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,045 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:58 AM

Surprised by our first half performance against one of the teams expected to struggle. We were executing some strange plays near there line, instead to just applying pressure and getting repeat sets at worst. We were playing like it was last 10 mins of the game and we were 2 scores down.

I dont remember being near their line too much in the first half!  We just failed to complete the sets and build momentun and pressure and from memory we spent most of the game in our own half.  Once we cut out the mistakes the natural game came and we saw what happened.  As I said at the beginning once we start to cut out the mistakes who knows where we can go.  Sheriff Did have a poorish game yesterday, but we need to move away from the WJ technique of dropping someone immediately they didnt perform at 100%.  It didnt work for WJ and I doubt it works for anyone.  If he doesnt perform next week thats might be different, but I would prefer to see settled side for now.

#46 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:31 AM

Now I wouldn't expect that of you BSJ. We've played 2 games and won both. GM will change the team, I'm sure, as time goes on but be honest, would you have changed the team that won so well last week? I don't think so. Players need to think there is competition but when they play out of their skins to beat the title favourites I believe they deserve a second chance. Sheriff had a good game last week and deserved to be in this week. Maybe next week Grayston will get his chance,Personally I'd like to see the same team again next week,provided Hemingway recovers. Fev only made one change today Chisolm for Saxton and won. Don't change a team just for the sake of it. 

As I said i wasn't there (nor will I be next week) so my comments are very much second-hand.

The challenge for a coach, and particularly with a winning team, is how to keep things fresh and challenging together with maintaining a competitive spirit throughout the squad. I don't expect GM to fall into this obvious trap, however.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#47 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

When you play a decent team they will have blown you away first half and it will be game over ;)

Like Featherstone for instance you clown and i hope your not classy the battersea mob has a good team.

#48 Ossy

Ossy
  • Coach
  • 1,400 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:37 PM

ROCHDALE HORNETS 12  -  DEWSBURY RAMS 42.

Referee :- Jamie Bloem.

At first sight this might seem a comfortable win for The Rams but Morro wasn’t all that happy after the game and, now I’ve had the time to think about it, I can see why.

The first half was eerily reminiscent of the opener against Fev with defences controlling things. Indeed it was the Hornets who had most possession in these early stages, but though they used it to apply pressure, The Rams also looked dangerous on their occasional breakaways. Indeed it was they who took the lead with Tommy Gallagher crossing for the opening try around the half hour mark.

Even then it was Rochdale who had most of the ball, and it was no great surprise when centre Matt Dawson cut through to score late in the half. With stand off Paul Crook adding the conversion, the teams turned round with The Hornets holding a narrow, but deserved 6-4 lead.

It was to be a short lived lead however, Tom Hemingway levelling the scores with a penalty early in the second half. Exactly what Glenn Morrison said to his team at half time I can only guess, but whatever it was, it certainly worked! Five minutes later winger Dale Morton went over wide out for The Rams second try, Hemingway adding a good conversion. He also got the chance to add to his tally a couple of minutes later following a superb try from The Rams. Loose forward Aaron Brown broke down the middle and timed his pass to perfection, sending the supporting Anthony Thackeray in under the posts. With the conversion a formality The Rams were suddenly 6 – 18 ahead, though The Hornets weren’t done yet.

When winger Gareth Langley reached a kick just ahead of Rams full back Louis Sherriff he was able to stab it over the line for Joe Greenwood to touch down for their second try. Crook’s second conversion narrowed the gap to 12 – 18, but The Hornets seemed to be tiring, and The Rams really had the wind in their sails now.

Whether or not they learnt a lesson from last week’s victory over Fev, only they can say, but when they got the chance of a penalty they were happy to take the two points rather than go for the try. With Hemingway off injured, it was Kieran Hyde who took over the kicking duties, easing the Rams two scores ahead at 12 -20.

With ten minutes on the clock Wayne Godwin drove over for another try, and a couple of minutes later full back Louis Sherriff also went over. With Hyde adding the extras to both tries the score was suddenly 12 -32 and ‘The Barmy Army,’ were at full voice. Even now the scoring wasn’t over though, centre Karl Pryce collecting Dale Morton’s inside pass to touch down for one of the simplest tries he’ll probably score all season.

It was left to Anthony Thackeray to show his talent, bringing the game to an end with his second try of the afternoon, Hyde converting to take the score to 42 – 12.

Two games, two wins, second in the table… but neither of them was easy, and we’re away at Doncaster next week who’ll certainly be looking to revenge their play off defeat of last season. So to all you Rams fans out there, get thisen’s down to Donny and make yourselves heard.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually there were a lot of Red, Amber and Black colours on view over at Rochdale yesterday in a crowd of 817, so well done to them as well as the players!

As you can guess, the bus was rather noisy on the way back last night, apart from the time we spent in Wetherspoon’s ‘The Richard Oastler’ of course. How we ended up in Brighouse I have no idea, but then it was a ‘Barmy Army’ trip, and we certainly enjoyed the food!

Attached Files

#49 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:58 PM

Thanks for that ossy couldn't get to game Sunday,but that's a good in depth report of the game

#50 John North

John North
  • Coach
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks for the picture Ozzy.

phwoar.......what a lovely sight.

"Wobbly Bob" on draught
Red Amber Black - Its that simple

#51 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

Against a team with 5 saints in. 2 of them
Scored rochdales 2 try's and mark Flanagan and That prop walker also played. A good win in end. Interesting on radio Leeds, glen wasn't too impressed with the last 2 wins completion rates in first half. Says we need to improve on this as defence as won us the last 2 matches. Think first half our completion rate was only 40 percent. Second half was obviously a lot better

Could have been 6 Saints as Jon Wilkin was there watching the game.

#52 RogerTRam

RogerTRam
  • Coach
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Brill Job Oz Ive been missing your match reports.

#53 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,272 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

Brill Job Oz Ive been missing your match reports.

Me too. Keep 'em coming Chris.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#54 BROADEDDIE

BROADEDDIE
  • Coach
  • 154 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 05:14 PM

Great game lads, a lot tougher than a lot of people thought it would be. Hard work in defence in the first half won this game for us, remember defence wins games, then the points will come.

Thought Thackeray had a poor game until late in the second half and as for Sherriff, he had a nightmare.

An outstanding performance from Brown, scoring one and making two and having one dissallowed. Tommy Gallagher had a good game when he came on, Spicer was also outstanding.

So keep up the good work lads and I am looking forward to next week.

Just a thought is it possible to put some match stats up ie top tackler or how tackles made?

#55 Phil Loxton

Phil Loxton
  • Coach
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

One team that beat Featherstone last season was York..They ended up being relegated; Another one was Swinton..avoided relegation on last day; Doncaster who you play very soon; Beating Featherstone is no passport to success; Enjoy your season;

#56 EQUALIZER

EQUALIZER
  • Coach
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:55 AM

One team that beat Featherstone last season was York..They ended up being relegated; Another one was Swinton..avoided relegation on last day; Doncaster who you play very soon; Beating Featherstone is no passport to success; Enjoy your season;

First step for any team apart from fev,fax,leigh is to avoid the bottom 5.Then you can aim for the sky.

#57 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

And Sheffield?

#58 Flattopper

Flattopper
  • Players
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

...and Kear's Kanines?

#59 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:20 PM

I wasn't there today but Sheriff hasn't really impressed me so far. What has happened to Jordan Grayston, who I understood to be an outstanding full back? I do hope that we're not going to have a team that "picks itself" despite the winning start. Players need to feel that there is competition for a starting place.

Jordan's Aunty is a neighbour of mine. She told me on the day of the Featherstone match that Jordan hadn't been considered because he was carrying a groin strain.

Now GM has the problem of deciding whether or not to change a winning side to accommodate players who he may previously have thought were going to be his first choice. Not a bad problem for a coach to have, and far preferable to having to worry about who can step in if a key player is injured.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users