Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team and predictions for Swinton

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#81 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

I bet Riley and Penny enjoyed their day out !!!!

did you not notice penny's last two days out there? He was our player for two years?

#82 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

did you not notice penny's last two days out there? He was our player for two years?

and your point is?
the futures bright,the futures blue and white

#83 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:37 PM

David ms point is that they are dual regs not used to the joys of the trip up north
a cheap shot I guess?
Or maybe thats not his point
if not I apologise

Keith t...A good victory and a good day for Cumbria with Barrows remarkable win at Sheffield
Good luck for the rest of the season

#84 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:41 PM

Err , no it wasn't . The weather and mud and ... Oh never mind .

#85 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,024 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:48 PM

Ok thats a poor response youve got to agree! Ha

#86 Supporter

Supporter
  • Coach
  • 462 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:53 PM

First things first, a big well done to all the players of both sides for playing through monsoon conditions with a strong cold wind as well.    It's a wonder we didn't have a case of hypothermia to deal with.   And I include the 3 officials in that as it can't have been pleasant for them and having to concentrate on the game.

Really agree with this praise. Well done to both teams and officials for making a game of it this afternoon in such cold and wet conditions.
Spare a thought though for the lads playing in the South Wales v Oldham match, quite a number of the players were suffering from hypothermia like symptoms when the game was finally abandoned In the 72nd minute. The joys of Summer Rugby!

#87 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:41 PM

Well considering the conditions I find it hard to have a go at any player. We played into a driving wind and rain in the first half that dropped considerably by the second half. We did what we had to in the second and while we maybe could have denied them a BP it was a hard game to play in.

Swinton looked like they were set up to play expansive rugby which wasn't gonna happen today at DP, Penny & Bridge etc were never gonna make a huge difference. I thought we defended superbly. Anyone can say that we could have done more offensively but it ended up a war in the mud and on the whole I thought our lads were fantastic. Callum, Jarred, Liam McAvoy were superb and nobody let the team down.

Give Butch and the lads some credit please, it was a great effort. You have gotta give Swinton credit for keeping at it for the full 80 mins even down to 12 men. Our defensive effort was awesome.

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#88 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:55 PM

Well considering the conditions I find it hard to have a go at any player. We played into a driving wind and rain in the first half that dropped considerably by the second half. We did what we had to in the second and while we maybe could have denied them a BP it was a hard game to play in.
Swinton looked like they were set up to play expansive rugby which wasn't gonna happen today at DP, Penny & Bridge etc were never gonna make a huge difference. I thought we defended superbly. Anyone can say that we could have done more offensively but it ended up a war in the mud and on the whole I thought our lads were fantastic. Callum, Jarred, Liam McAvoy were superb and nobody let the team down.
Give Butch and the lads some credit please, it was a great effort. You have gotta give Swinton credit for keeping at it for the full 80 mins even down to 12 men. Our defensive effort was awesome.

good post well said. I would have liked to deny them a BP but lets all appreciate a good win in tough conditions with some really good performamces.

Edited by town4me, 02 March 2014 - 08:57 PM.

#89 macca57

macca57
  • Players
  • 57 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

cant understand some of negative comments today was a battle against the elements,thought the lads were fantastic everybody put a good shift in espeically callum,mcavoy and stack

#90 scott

scott
  • Workington
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Thought we played well considering the conditions Callum, Mcavoy and Tierney were all brilliant, the full team did well defence was good. Roll on barrow

#91 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Firstly well done on the three points and in fairness you shaded it.
The real credit has to go to both sets of players for actually attempting to play rugby on a pitch which must have been as slippy as ice.
I thought Hewer was to quick in sending Morrison off for us as he then missed a similar head high committed by town, at best he should have put it on report.
Towns defence was quite simply excellent when we were knocking for most if the second half so I can't quite understand some of the grumbles.
Good luck next week at Barrow and for the rest of the season.

#92 town4me

town4me
  • Workington
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thanks marshy. I thought your lad deserved a yellow rather than red. It was a tough game due to the weather.in hindsight you deserved a BP. Well done to the lions fans who made the trip and good luck this season. Happy with 3 pts

#93 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

Firstly well done on the three points and in fairness you shaded it.
The real credit has to go to both sets of players for actually attempting to play rugby on a pitch which must have been as slippy as ice.
I thought Hewer was to quick in sending Morrison off for us as he then missed a similar head high committed by town, at best he should have put it on report.
Towns defence was quite simply excellent when we were knocking for most if the second half so I can't quite understand some of the grumbles.
Good luck next week at Barrow and for the rest of the season.

to be fair your player should have walked for the tackle on Callum in the 1st half which was placed on report. I'm not sure but it could have been the same player. All 26 looked the same for most the game as it was very hard to tell one from another because of the mud, except nanyn who's shirt stayed pretty clean. Maybe because he is the laziest man in rugby. Does he ever do anything for you? And surely they make bigger shirts that might actually fit him.

#94 GeordieTownie

GeordieTownie
  • Coach
  • 1,353 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Well said voodoo. Can't expect expansive rugby In those conditions but at least Forber looks interested where Lupton goes thro the motions.

#95 mike9

mike9
  • Players
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

If Luptons getting dropped for him he may as well retire and concentrate on coaching . Again it was strange to see Forber and Callum taking penalties and goal line drop outs with Connor out there ?
Barrow doesn't look so easy after today either ! What a result

Forber and Callum were doing the kicks and goal line drop outs because that's the way the coachs wanted it on the day Lupton and butch pick the team

so lupton put himself on the bench he wasn't dropped hes still in the 17 . And as for him do u mean Forber just sounds like you've got a grudge to me . We need a coach like yesterday badly to sort this pack out and get them switched on.As there was no bad players out there today. They all tried very hard in poor conditions and came out with a win.

#96 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

Never hold any personal grudge . Everything I say is what I see on the pitch . I just don't see he has what it takes to control a team and give what's needed in a key position at this level . I stand by everything I say when it's fresh . It was a vital three points and yes it was dreadful conditions , but with everything stacked in our favour for a large part of the game against one of the lesser sides to begin with it we made it very hard work and even tougher toil than it need be with the way we played in possession after we'd gained a platform from which to control and nail that game ,and it still looks to be a long hard season ahead right now on that showing . I hope we get the right coach soon , because as we've seen in all three games , there's material there to work with . We need a bit more strength in depth , as we run out of momentum when the benches come into it .No I don't want to run , coach or play , so can we move past all that . We're giving various comment and opinion on the rugby side ,that's all , and it should stay on the rugby side to .That's a forum . It would be bland and boring otherwise . I think that's fair enough.

Edited by DavidM, 03 March 2014 - 12:01 AM.

#97 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 864 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:34 AM

Did anyone after the game go in the bar and hear anything announced? New signings? Etc?

#98 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,082 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:58 AM

Always cracks flying around, but didn't hear anything announced.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#99 wonky

wonky
  • Coach
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:12 AM

People do seem to forget that this is a forum for opinions, and that is all they are. So instead of jumping on someone for there's why don't we just agree to disagree. It was an awful game of rugby yesterday because of the weather, but even the most biased of town fan can't be happy with not scoring against 12 men or even looking like scoring. And remember for about 5 minutes they were down to 11 and even created an over lap in there own 20 out wide.

#100 rockerlad

rockerlad
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Well it wasn't the best game of rugby I had seen yesterday but the town players certianly didn't lack any effort.
3 points is 3 points