Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Team and predictions for Swinton

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#101 Oneday

Oneday
  • Coach
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

Good win; certainly would have taken 18-6 at the start for as Riggy was keen to point out Swinton are not a bad side. It was frustrating in the second half where they were heads down, dead and buried, and we could have taken the BP from them but just could not hold the ball. Poor conditions fair enough but then in the same conditions they manage to string 3 or 4 error free sets together and nearly get back into it. Can't fault the effort though and easy to criticise when you're basking in the warmth of the stands. Big match next weekend; we don't often win there but be a good time to start, we can do it!

#102 ameliasdaddy

ameliasdaddy
  • Workington
  • 134 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Massive game next week, quite enjoy Barrow away, trying to remember the last time we won down there, I would say it was during Ged Stokes rein when Lusi and co ran riot.

Heres hoping we buck the recent trend next week, but Barrow winning at Sheffield yesterday certainly makes it sound harder than some of us thought it was going to be.

#103 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:40 AM

Couldn't make the game yesterday. it sounds like the conditions were awful, I was just delighted to get the news that we got our first win of the season. I hd bad vibes about yesterday, a one point win would have done me.

UP THE TOWN

#104 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:21 PM

People do seem to forget that this is a forum for opinions, and that is all they are. So instead of jumping on someone for there's why don't we just agree to disagree. It was an awful game of rugby yesterday because of the weather, but even the most biased of town fan can't be happy with not scoring against 12 men or even looking like scoring. And remember for about 5 minutes they were down to 11 and even created an over lap in there own 20 out wide.

I agree with you wonky about personal attacks on someone because they have a different opinion to themselves.    If you feel the need to get personal why not use the PM system available to everyone and add your name rather than hide behind pseudonyms on here.     I stand by my criticism about our second half failings and I feel justified when I read the two match reports in the RL papers this morning where one describes Town's play as "dumb" and the other as "clueless".     As wonky says we had a 5 minute spell or even longer where they were down to 11 men and we still carried on trying to batter our way down the middle.   It was terrible conditions that is true and we can't use the excuse that it wasn't a day for throwing the ball around because for the last 10 - 15 minutes Swinton did just that and if it hadn't been for our excellent defence we might have lost that game.   Hopefully when we get a new coach these things will be ironed out and we get the best out of our lads.

I remember when .............................

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#105 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:30 PM

The thing for me Keith is Swinton had no option to take the risk of trying to get Penny & Riley onto the ball as it was their only chance of winning. Playing in those conditions is horrible, you can't feel your hands or feet, you can't wipe the rain out of your eyes because everything is covered in mud, your shirt is about 3 times as heavy and freezing cold. So while everyone is entitled to be critical about the game management in the second half IMO it's a bit harsh to be using dumb and clueless from journalists who are sitting in a warm press box. If we started throwing the ball about and knocking on every set of six then these same people would be saying the tactics were suicidal in the conditions.
We won and bagged the 3 points I'm happy with that, if we keep doing just that allowing Swinton a BP won't make any difference.
As has been said we can agree to disagree.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#106 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 06:40 PM

Indeed . Well made counterpoints there . Penny and Riley will be weapons at this level if they keep hold of them , but it does nullify one of them if they're playing outside Nanyn , as he's very slow in his movements and doesn't release his winger much with good sharp service when we've seen him, preferring to lumber into the tackle first in his mind rather than quickly move it .The big fella took some punishment on the quiet as we got in his face . Looks like a lot of work has been done on our defence , really moving up and swarming and on our own line .

Edited by DavidM, 03 March 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#107 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:06 PM

I can assure you voodooguru that I know what it's like playing in those sort of conditions as I did it many a time as a young man.   That said I an not talking about throwing the ball about for the whole of the second half just when we had the extra men but we were still barging in and losing the ball anyhow.   If we had spread them and scored another try at that stage I think all we had to do was keep them in their own 20 with a good kicking game.    They had 3 x 40 - 20's and I don't think we got anywhere close to one.   It is water under the bridge now but we have to be smarter with teams better than Swinton.

"It is impossible not to feel a twinge of sympathy for Workington Town, the fall guys this season for the Super League's determination to retain it's European dimension, in the shape of Paris. While the French have had every assistance to survive, the importance of having a flagship in a heartland area like West Cumbria has been conveniently forgotten." - Dave Hadfield - Independent 25th August 1996.

#108 unicorn106

unicorn106
  • Coach
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:20 PM

Just seen the highlights on Border, the second half conditions looked terrible and it's understandable why no more tries were scored, 12 men or not ! I honestly think we will see the best of this Town team in drier conditions, we just haven't got the big lads to plough up the middle anymore. Well done to the 633 who turned up in such filthy weather.

Is Jamie Acton getting a start at Leigh ? he wasn't even on the bench for their first game. :shout:

#109 The Voodooguru

The Voodooguru
  • Coach
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

The cotton jerseys and real leather balls and boots were even heavier then Keith!
I can see where you are coming from as it's sound logic and if the conditions were different I would wholeheartedly agree with you. But if we had threw a wide pass and it went to ground and their wingers broke away then who knows what could have happened.
The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong, but thats the way to bet!

#110 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:34 PM

He wasn't on yesterday unicorn but I think he figured last week ... But they still had the likes of Wilkes , Haggerty and Emmet on the bench and Spencer and Sam Barlow starting !

#111 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:24 PM

Acton was on the bench yesterday.

#112 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:37 PM

I've got Emmitt , Wilkes , Haggerty and Penky online ?

#113 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:43 PM

Yes you're correct DavidM, I was thinking of the Under 20 team that I looked at.    Have you seen what is in effect Leigh's reserve team?

#114 Keith T

Keith T
  • Coach
  • 8,859 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:47 PM

Leigh Under 20's pack -  Ryan Duffy, Sean Penkywicz, Jamie Acton, Andy Thornley, Kurt Haggerty and Martin Aspinwall.

#115 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Wowwy . Big investment there . But keeping everyone content is the hard byproduct of that

#116 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

We certainly need 2 new props for barrow if you ask me, Phillips back too but really I liked the effort rowlandson put in but if a decent half back spots him after half his spell on the pitch they are going to run sets right at him if they have any sense!! We need desperately either a loan super league guy or an experienced campaigner urgently as barrow away after they beat Sheffield is vital to me!!

#117 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

Rowlandsons sheer bulk and size made him a handful in itself , and a few defenders went face over apex backwards ! But he looks a short stint man at present and as you say will be targeted in the line . It also puts more pressure on your interchanges but with more conditioning what he has is a useful asset . I wonder now Wigan and all their squad are back if something more concrete with them will be negotiated . And Adam Walne is still in the cold at Salford .

Edited by DavidM, 03 March 2014 - 09:48 PM.

#118 havenhater

havenhater
  • Coach
  • 853 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Don't get me wrong the man mountain given half a season will be a right handful once he is given the right time to bed in and then bang onto a ball but we just need as many points as we can this season, do we still have mcgoff as if he has been putting it in at training who's to say what he could do against his former club!!

#119 DavidM

DavidM
  • Coach
  • 6,026 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

And Duerdens from that way and he must be chomping at the bit . We heard such big things about him , and let's be honest , it looks a bit of a struggle for the kid Lever . So why not try Duerden who's been training all winter and is a blue chip amateur?

#120 fan207

fan207
  • Players
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:08 PM

We'd have took an 18-6 win at five to three yesterday afternoon so let's take the positives out of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users