RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Second half?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 170 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

After leading at ht, a 6-38pt capitulation makes for a long, long season and no bonus point!

What happened?  We knew if would be hard, but crikey, let's make it less so and hopefully build on what we did in the first at the expense of the second half.

#2 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

Great first half  but we tired in the second half. Couldn't fault any of the lads for effort. Dewsbury were worthy winners and seemed that bit quicker. However the first half performance gives some hope for the rest of the season.

#3 Shipley Ram

Shipley Ram
  • Coach
  • 238 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:08 PM

First half you matched Dewsbury in every department. In the last 20 mins Rochdale tired badly. If they can improve on their fitness levels there is no reason why Rochdale could stay up this year.
RUGBY LEAGUE IS MY RELIGION.
CROWN FLATT IS MY CHURCH.

#4 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

We matched Dewsbury in the first half. You wouldn't have known which team was newly promoted at half time. Second half Dewsbury stepped up a gear and we couldn't really go with them. We hung on for another 20 minutes then the wheels came off. They had more serious game time, superior fitness, better players, rub of the green re the officials. All those factors told in the end. I'm not too down hearted, we just need more creativity in the key positions.

#5 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,043 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

After leading at ht, a 6-38pt capitulation makes for a long, long season and no bonus point!

What happened?  We knew if would be hard, but crikey, let's make it less so and hopefully build on what we did in the first at the expense of the second half.

Were you watching the same game as me? It wasn't a capitulation at all - the lads gave their all. We were beaten in the end by a really good team that has much more experience at this level - and which beat hot favourites Fev last week. For 65 mins we were their equal. Add Millard and Te'o for a bit of quality and steel and we won't be far off. I think most left the game optimistic.

• PooingDog likes this

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#6 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:06 PM

I think you can do ok this season but you need to sort duel reg out though! It will cause unrest among players that's done all pre season training then to find themselves not getting picked

#7 Hornets Nest

Hornets Nest
  • Coach
  • 610 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:24 PM

Sunday is a must win - if there is such a thing this early in the season.

#8 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,817 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:17 AM

Capitulation is way off the mark. Hornets held their own for over an hour but couldn't keep up the intensity and the score mounted alarmingly.

I think the scoreline flattered Dewsbury a little but they won fair and square.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#9 ormskirknet

ormskirknet
  • Players
  • 35 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

1st Half

Loads of positives, we more than matched the Rams, we were the better side, but crucially didnt get points on the score board that our superiority deserved, thats one of the many differences about this level.

To compound all that we made a  couple of silly errors like when Crooky didnt make touch with a fairly simple penalty in our half and the Rams scored almost directly. Loads of endevour and some strong defence which was pleasing.

Creativley though we offered very little from half back area, general speed of play was better, but we where pretty easy to read going forward, and our no 7 got clouted a fair few times as he only managed to get the pass away at the very last minute, a bit to predicatable in the halves. In all though a really positive half.

2nd Half

The Rams stepped up a gear while we seemed to drop down a gear or two, experinece, fitness, a lack of match practice and running out of attacking options caught us out. Without doubt the final scoreline flattered the Rams in the end, but these are the sort of painfull lessons we will have to learn from, Dews were ruthless, as will most other sides in this division

Would I describe it as a capitulation? no not at all there where some very positve signs indeed, but we need to learn fast now, and will only get better from the experence, I hope!

Dissapointing - Yes. Disaster - Not at all.

I was quite suprised at the amount of changes made, if we should have learned anything from last years dual reg programme, it is that selections must be consistent, bringing players in for the odd game here and there doesnt work, but to be fair on Sunday the dual reg palyers did look decent and jelled really well.

The new Aus / Fijian signings will only boost the squad depth, I am really hoping we see Millard starting at No7 vs Keighley this week which should hopefully give us a new dimmesion going forward.

Oward Hornets Onward!

Edited by ormskirknet, 25 February 2014 - 12:37 PM.

#10 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 932 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:00 PM

Certainly not a capitulation and as a Rams fan I have to say that the score the flattered us.  Not sure what happened myself, but I am guessing you just lost that bit of intensity.  When Aaron brown, our 13 came back on he set up two quick tries and then the flood gates just opened.  If you play like you did in the first half you will win plenty at home.  I wouldnt blame your attack in first half either.  having watched the fiirst two games and three friendlies the Coach seems to have really tightened up the defence and this is what allowed us to push on.  we only conceeded 10 against Fev and when playing Cas in a friendly we kept them to nil.  Good luck for the rest of the season. 

#11 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

1st Half

Loads of positives, we more than matched the Rams, we were the better side, but crucially didnt get points on the score board that our superiority deserved, thats one of the many differences about this level.
To compound all that we made a couple of silly errors like when Crooky didnt make touch with a fairly simple penalty in our half and the Rams scored almost directly. Loads of endevour and some strong defence which was pleasing.
Creativley though we offered very little from half back area, general speed of play was better, but we where pretty easy to read going forward, and our no 7 got clouted a fair few times as he only managed to get the pass away at the very last minute, a bit to predicatable in the halves. In all though a really positive half.

2nd Half
The Rams stepped up a gear while we seemed to drop down a gear or two, experinece, fitness, a lack of match practice and running out of attacking options caught us out. Without doubt the final scoreline flattered the Rams in the end, but these are the sort of painfull lessons we will have to learn from, Dews were ruthless, as will most other sides in this division

Would I describe it as a capitulation? no not at all there where some very positve signs indeed, but we need to learn fast now, and will only get better from the experence, I hope!

Dissapointing - Yes. Disaster - Not at all.

I was quite suprised at the amount of changes made, if we should have learned anything from last years dual reg programme, it is that selections must be consistent, bringing players in for the odd game here and there doesnt work, but to be fair on Sunday the dual reg palyers did look decent and jelled really well.
The new Aus / Fijian signings will only boost the squad depth, I am really hoping we see Millard starting at No7 vs Keighley this week which should hopefully give us a new dimmesion going forward.

Oward Hornets Onward!

I'd agree with most of that. We had plenty of ball in the first half and we didn't do much with it. We're too obvious and one paced near the opposition line. Playing Wayne on the wing didn't work and we definitely missed him up the middle on attack.
You need more than one of no 6, 7, 9 and 13 to play well and that didn't really happen on Sunday. We need more imagination and pace especially at half back. Our game plan seemed to be keep pegging away and wait for a mistake by the opposition, it worked once but that won't be enough in future. I'm sure the coaching staff are well aware of our requirements.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 25 February 2014 - 07:18 PM.

#12 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

Dewsbury beat Featherstone who are a super league side in all but name.  I say well done to Hornets for hanging in for an hour.  Another encouraging sign was the attendance which exceeded both Batley and Doncaster.

Next week is not a must win but a nice to win, if people understand what a mountain the team will have to climb most weeks playing against the likes of Leigh etc, I think expectations will be realistic from the fans.

#13 graham fisher

graham fisher
  • Coach
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Like I said in a earlier post I think you'll go ok if the 1st half is anything to go on,but you need a settled team ie not bringing duel reg in for the odd game it does nothing for team spirit. Good luck for the Season

#14 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:22 PM

Dual registration correctly carried out is fine.  Hornets fans get to see some good young players who need to bridge the gap, young Greenwood is the prime example.  Hornets are also getting the benefit of facilities for training that championship clubs struggle to be able to find or fund.

Hornets are keeping their proud identity and it would seem are balancing the books.  How else do clubs like Rochdale and Oldham compete with the championship clubs with either a wealthy benefactor or gates of two thousand plus.  Leigh and Fev are right to go it alone within the proposed structure which at least gives them the hope promotion gave Hornets last year.

• Pugwash, The Baron Mk11 and PooingDog like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users