TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Advertising

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 buford t justice

buford t justice
  • Coach
  • 1,901 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 11:27 PM

Heard a few people complain about the attendance today.

First time in over 25 years theres not been an advert for the game at the bottom of field hill.

Any ideas why the game wasnt advertised there?

Edited by buford t justice, 24 February 2014 - 07:11 AM.

What we're dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law

#2 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:50 AM

The attendance was an improvement on the same fixture last year.

That said I do think the club needs better advertising.

#3 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:53 AM

The attendance is shown today as being 559 compared to last years 499.

However in the programme Kevin Nicholas has listed the attendances for each match during the season which the directors have budgeted for.  For yesterdays match they budgeted for an attendance of 750, so therefore presumably have taken a hit already with the finances.

The attendance quite frankly was pitiful, especially considering the number of Workington fans who had made the journey - 1 coach and 2 large minibuses.  Do people think last weeks result had any bearing on the number who turned up?  What can be done to increase support as if it remains at this level it will be extremely difficult to remain competitive in this league.

#4 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

Advettising makes no difference. The only time we see the stayaways is at blackpool or at leigh. Perhaps we should groundshare

The most unfashionable yet over achieving mutts around

#5 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:04 PM

Advertising does make a difference in my opinion. Featherstone advertise well and their attendances have doubled over tha past few years

#6 silverback

silverback
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Advertising does make a difference in my opinion. Featherstone advertise well and their attendances have doubled over tha past few years

good rugby and cream a the crop players helps too. fevs going places thats for sure and people/fans want to be along for the ride.

#7 toffee

toffee
  • Coach
  • 244 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Maybe but we dont have the funds to do what fev have done. I mean the free advrrtising by name it the chris moules stadium advertising on the m62 for starters
These things dont come cheap also fev have 2 wealthy owners which also helpd

#8 ernieone

ernieone
  • Coach
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:44 PM

How many new supporters does the banner on the Conservative Club railings or the board at the bottom of Victoria Road bring to the Mount?

"Batley Bulldogs, Championship final 2013" 

"The Great Escape 2014"

2015 ?

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

#9 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:09 AM

I don't think it's just new supporters that the banners are required for, it's about awareness that there's a game on.

I know for one that a bloke I stand with didn't realise we were playing. That was him and his son off the attendance figure.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#10 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:23 AM

The season is upon us. Super league is on and theres been plenty of rugby league related news floating about.

Social media and mobile technology and still people need reminding a batley game is on????

#11 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

I just think that when we have been successful (NRC2010, GF2013) we need to make more of an effort to advertise to new fans and children especially.

The first year I bought a season ticket (2009) I used to come to the games with 2 other people. Now there's 8 of us with season tickets just because I told them about the games. A few of them had never watched rugby league and now they're as much a fan as anyone on here. My point is there's plenty of people out there who could be real fans of our club we just need to let them know about it.

Maybe we should start a fund to raise money to advertise the club?

#12 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

The season is upon us. Super league is on and theres been plenty of rugby league related news floating about.

Social media and mobile technology and still people need reminding a batley game is on????

Of course people need reminding / making aware. Otherwise, just unravel what you've said until you arrive at the conclusion that advertising anything is worthless.

I obviously don't support Dewsbury, but as a frequent Owl Lane user, I'm always aware of when their games are and I've gone to a fair few when we haven't been playing.

Our ground is out of the way. It's got no footfall. The volume of traffic passing the 2 advertising slots used surely makes them worthwhile in promoting the game in the town. I'd go further and suggest seeing about getting a better spot for a bigger advert - eg the Hick Lane crossroads.
Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

#13 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,783 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

We should never assume people know we are playing. I remember standing at LSV in September and thinking that we should have somehow been selling this season then.
The visit to LSV last week dissipated all of that potential in an hour of rugby and now the opportunity to reach that many people again might not come around.

#14 PKK

PKK
  • Coach
  • 1,723 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

Advertising doesn't need to be expensive either. The adverts don't need to be bespoke for each game, they can be perpetual with the opposition and date changing.

Also, what about trading advertising space? A big advert on the side of Lala's, Mikes Carpets, Mr Smiths or Audio in exchange for hoarding space at the ground?

#15 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:41 AM

Do people think a return to 3pm kick off instead of the 2pm as at present would make a difference?

#16 9' oller

9' oller
  • Coach
  • 3,717 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

The general sense is batley seemingly arent fashiinable enough But if the stayaways were to attend half of a season we would average a 1000.
The floodlights arent needed now so lets get back to a 3pm kick off so families can still do something on a sunday morning.

#17 M Hopkins

M Hopkins
  • 699 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Can't see 3pm making any difference. I actually prefer 2pm.

#18 redditchbulldog

redditchbulldog
  • Coach
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

i would be able to make more games if it was a 3pm ko as we have junior rugby sun morning not finishing till 12 then a just under 2 hr journey and thats with no roadworks or accidents so always in danger of missing  kick off if not 1st half

Stoopid Cup Winner 2012

#19 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

The general sense is batley seemingly arent fashiinable enough But if the stayaways were to attend half of a season we would average a 1000.
The floodlights arent needed now so lets get back to a 3pm kick off so families can still do something on a sunday morning.

Being unfashionable isn't unique to Batley be any means though 9'O, it applies to most teams outside of SL. (What passes for fashionable in Featherstone is impossible to debate.) That's why many refer to the Championship as the old man's league, referring to the demographics of the normal attendances, and the truth behind that is undeniable. Building and maintaining interest in local sports clubs in declining and decaying post-industrial towns is a tough job and it isn't restricted to Batley or even Yorkshire.

If quick fixes were available the problem would already have been fixed but I'm sure that local advertising must help if only in maintaining awareness of the existence and vibrancy of the club.

Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#20 Keep The Faith

Keep The Faith
  • Coach
  • 829 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

Can't see 3pm making any difference. I actually prefer 2pm.

I can tbh alot of junior teams play on sundays and could miss the game if away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users