Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Should We Take A Gamble

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 eddo

eddo
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 02:42 AM

I fully appreciate that we are having to clear the inherited large debt , which thankfully our BOD have reduced by whatever amount. 

Could we not take something of a chance on spending for one or two experienced players which we lacked last season and looking the same this year ?

Our aspiration i feel is to remain in this league and needs must .

After looking at todays attendances we were second only to Featherstone ,  Batley could only muster less than 600 and are a top 5 outfit.

Surely our support would help sustain this ?

#2 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 07:21 AM

This is the million dollar question mate ... should we ??????

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#3 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 08:37 AM

Here's a curve ball for you, why dont 100 fans put in a couple of hundred each to cover those contracts - you know you have those passionate fans, even at £34 a month for 6 months

#4 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

I fully appreciate that we are having to clear the inherited large debt , which thankfully our BOD have reduced by whatever amount. 

Could we not take something of a chance on spending for one or two experienced players which we lacked last season and looking the same this year ?

Our aspiration i feel is to remain in this league and needs must .

After looking at todays attendances we were second only to Featherstone ,  Batley could only muster less than 600 and are a top 5 outfit.

Surely our support would help sustain this ?

unfortunately the debt from 2010 to the last filed accounts has only reduced by £51k, This means the club still has a negative net worth of £97 k. I am sure once the floodlights have been erected the club will concentrate on raising the £100k still required to get them on a sound financial footing for the future.

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

#5 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

unfortunately the debt from 2010 to the last filed accounts has only reduced by £51k, This means the club still has a negative net worth of £97 k. I am sure once the floodlights have been erected the club will concentrate on raising the £100k still required to get them on a sound financial footing for the future.

That's why you need 'new' money to do it

#6 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,572 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Slightly different subject but Barrow had 6 more spectators than Broncos. Something wrong somewhere

Posted Image

#7 raiders96

raiders96
  • Coach
  • 379 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

Slightly different subject but Barrow had 6 more spectators than Broncos. Something wrong somewhere

The RFL that is what's wrong

#8 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Here's a curve ball for you, why dont 100 fans put in a couple of hundred each to cover those contracts - you know you have those passionate fans, even at £34 a month for 6 months

I would do this on the condition that the a group is formed before hand which raises the money completely seperate from anything else the club is raising money for.

Before anyone says why dont i do do it, well, i would love to be able to but for those who know me, know that for at least 6 months of the year I am away working.

#9 alba

alba
  • Coach
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I would do this on the condition that the a group is formed before hand which raises the money completely seperate from anything else the club is raising money for.

Before anyone says why dont i do do it, well, i would love to be able to but for those who know me, know that for at least 6 months of the year I am away working.

Interesting idea, need the club to comment on legality, and how it could be organised

alan athersmith

#10 eddo

eddo
  • Coach
  • 104 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 11:21 PM

Interesting replies and to see that our accrued debt is. 97k is a substantial amount for us but small in the current prof. world.

Could we not reduce our repayments and funnel the rest into revenue ?

#11 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:46 PM

Do it through an ISA or Squadbuilder - I am not a Barrow fan but wish you well as I have fond memories of your club, The Leigh ISA raises £35k pa and was set up in 1998, its focus is to sign players once the club has spent its budget ie 'new' money

#12 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

It can be done WB.  I set up the development fund prior to my joining the BoD.  this fund remains separate from the club's finances and money is only ever spent on ground improvements.  No reason why a squadbuilder can't be established on similar lines.

I'd happily contribute but obviously can't run it.

Posted Image

#13 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,198 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

It can be done WB. I set up the development fund prior to my joining the BoD. this fund remains separate from the club's finances and money is only ever spent on ground improvements. No reason why a squadbuilder can't be established on similar lines.

I wish it was done at the start of the season. To be honest getting promoted this year is probably more important than upgrading the ground. Next season we would likely have less distance to travel, more away fans coming to our games, more attractive home fixtures and likely more media coverage if we avoided relegation. Not being negative but we are more than likely to go down this year as we just do not have enough proven players in our side and the majority of clubs recruiting exceptionally well this year.

A couple of high class signings would he a huge boost IMO as it stands we are going to be on 0 points after 3 games so we are chasing teams already. It's going to be tough for a young side to consistently get results in this competition.

#14 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:36 AM

It can be done WB.  I set up the development fund prior to my joining the BoD.  this fund remains separate from the club's finances and money is only ever spent on ground improvements.  No reason why a squadbuilder can't be established on similar lines.

I would also be happy to contribute Keith but as I say, I am not in a position to set it up and run it.
I am on international assignments for 6 months a year minimum.

#15 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:07 AM

Go on lads get it done, pull a small team together, communicate your goals with local media, get a star of the past on board, advertise an open meeting for those interested in your goals and print forms explaining how it would work and have the standing order detail on them for fans to complete at the meeting

#16 John Spoor

John Spoor
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Hang on a minute guys!!
For the last month I have been setting up the Barrow Raiders 500 Super Lotto which I have stated on here, and on all the advertising literature, that if we recruit the 500 members then the profits will be just over £30K! Admittedly, this year any profits will go to the floodlight fund, but next year will go towards "player development".
This is the "new" money that is being talked about on here, it is the amount being talked about on here and it costs just £2 per week, with a chance to win £5000!
Over to you. Forms are available in the Rugby Shop and at the Souvenir shop on match days.
We have achieved our initial starting target and the first draw will be made Saturday 8March.
See you soon!

John Spoor
Barrow Rugby Shop

Posted Image

#17 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:06 AM

Why would that stop a player initiative to impact now? You will find people join both, I did.

#18 Walney Bill

Walney Bill
  • Players
  • 46 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:44 AM

Hang on a minute guys!!
For the last month I have been setting up the Barrow Raiders 500 Super Lotto which I have stated on here, and on all the advertising literature, that if we recruit the 500 members then the profits will be just over £30K! Admittedly, this year any profits will go to the floodlight fund, but next year will go towards "player development".
This is the "new" money that is being talked about on here, it is the amount being talked about on here and it costs just £2 per week, with a chance to win £5000!
Over to you. Forms are available in the Rugby Shop and at the Souvenir shop on match days.
We have achieved our initial starting target and the first draw will be made Saturday 8March.
See you soon!

John Spoor
Barrow Rugby Shop

John......I'm already in!!