TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Ideas for International game

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#21 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Hi, could I ask you a stupid question?

How is the relegation/promotion of the 4 Nations decided?

#22 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:44 AM

European 4N with England, France, Wales and (probably) Italy.
Oceania 4N with Aus, NZ, PNG and probably Fiji.
North American 3N with USA, Canada and Jamaica.

Followed by a global 4N with the first 2 teams of the Oceania 4N, the winner of the European 4N, and a qualifier.
The 3rd Oceanian side would play against the winner of the North American 3N, and the winner of this match would play against the 2nd placed in the European 4N for the final spot in the Global 4N.

Or, alternatively, we can continue to not give the weaker nations any games outside the RLWC against the best sides and then wonder why we don't have a competitive RLWC.

There are enough nations playing RL now to have a proper qualifying competition for the next WC and these games should be organised and be starting the process very soon. The Cooks an he USA qualified last time and proved by their performances their right to be there. Now we have numerous eastern europoean nations, the north American/ Carribean three, Lebanon, South Africa some of the smaller pacific islands nations, Scandanavia etc. we could/should organise a decent qualifying set up and fund it if necessary by profits from the last WC.

#23 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 12:40 PM

Personally, and I am biased here, I am wary of any system that obligates minor nations to long-distance fixtures.  From a Danish perspective, we can have one or two main aims each year.  International performances were not our priority last year or this. 

We are entering schools in Jutland and Copenhagen, we can do this in part as we have prioritised that.  I am grateful that the RLEF allows us to pick and choose our fixtures to fit in with our aims.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#24 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 02:25 PM

There are enough nations playing RL now to have a proper qualifying competition for the next WC and these games should be organised and be starting the process very soon. The Cooks an he USA qualified last time and proved by their performances their right to be there. Now we have numerous eastern europoean nations, the north American/ Carribean three, Lebanon, South Africa some of the smaller pacific islands nations, Scandanavia etc. we could/should organise a decent qualifying set up and fund it if necessary by profits from the last WC.

Completely agree, although it was Italy and the USA who were the only qualifiers last time around. Only the hosts and England should get automatic qualification for 2017 for me, so that would be England, Aus, NZ and PNG with automatic qualification and a further ten spots up for grabs. We need to go down the regional qualifying route as well now, as we have enough teams to do it: European, Africa/ME, Americas, Asia-Pacific. I'd be just as interested in watching that, as the 2017 tournament itself. 

#25 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Think they should introduce a 5 nations competition with France, Scotland, wales, Ireland and Italy with the winner of that going on to play in the four nations. doing similar with the pacific islands. then have the usual Canada, USA, Jamaica. then just competitions with the lower ranked euro teams with like a, b and c leagues like they have announced but include more teams. then have the winner of the top euro team cup thing replace the bottom team in the five nations.

I think that Jamaica should create a West Indies team like Cricket.

#26 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:47 AM

Completely agree, although it was Italy and the USA who were the only qualifiers last time around. Only the hosts and England should get automatic qualification for 2017 for me, so that would be England, Aus, NZ and PNG with automatic qualification and a further ten spots up for grabs. We need to go down the regional qualifying route as well now, as we have enough teams to do it: European, Africa/ME, Americas, Asia-Pacific. I'd be just as interested in watching that, as the 2017 tournament itself.

Not a big point but I thought the Cooks qualified by winning the pacific nations Cup.

#27 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:50 AM

I am not sure any other West Indian nations play RL but the travelling costs would be a real burden.

#28 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:28 AM

I am not sure any other West Indian nations play RL but the travelling costs would be a real burden.

It would be a good opportunity to enlarge RL to other West Indies countries/regions.  And the reason of my addiction to West Indies is that I want to see a Federal Republic of West Indies.

#29 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:06 PM

They did that originally, then moved away from that model.

#30 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:57 PM

They did that originally, then moved away from that model.

Because RL did not expand to outside Jamaica?

#31 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:02 PM

Not a big point but I thought the Cooks qualified by winning the pacific nations Cup.

No, PNG won the Pacific Cup, but that only guaranteed them a place in the 2010 4N. It was the 10 teams from 2008, plus Wales and CIs who were automatically selected and then two teams came through qualifiers. 

#32 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 05:03 PM

No they shouldn't. What's wrong with playing as Jamaica? They're the only ones doing any development anyway. There is a T&T federation, but I'm still waiting to hear anything from them. 

#33 sigesige00

sigesige00
  • Coach
  • 241 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 06:11 PM

No they shouldn't. What's wrong with playing as Jamaica? They're the only ones doing any development anyway. There is a T&T federation, but I'm still waiting to hear anything from them. 

My addiction to West Indies has to do with politics more than sports.  I believe that West Indies countries/regions must create a single Federal Republic.  But probably here is not an appropriate place for this discussion.

#34 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 12:49 PM

Because RL did not expand to outside Jamaica?

More likely because they wanted a stronger identity within Jamaica.

#35 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,616 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:06 PM

sigesige00 posts nonsense on these boards regularly.  I do not know why he is permitted to stay, but it is better not to encourage him.

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#36 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:56 AM

No, PNG won the Pacific Cup, but that only guaranteed them a place in the 2010 4N. It was the 10 teams from 2008, plus Wales and CIs who were automatically selected and then two teams came through qualifiers.

You are correct. The Cooks beat Samoa and Fiji to get to the final of the 2009 Pacific Cup where they lost to PNG. They were also very competitive in the WC last year. They have reason to be proud of their team. The women are tough too, dancing in bare feet and grass skirts at Bristol was a profile in courage.

#37 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...expanded/340994

The WC was always arranged to only have 2 qualifiers as the link above shows, I assume based on the costs of the 2008 qualifiers which were fairly extensive. The 10 teams from 2008 all took part, but the criteria for the other 2 was never really set out until Wales and the Cooks were announced as the 2 other automatic selections.

Interesting to see that Lebanon were hoping to be the 12th team, but as we know it was given to the Cooks. I wonder what the RLIF would've done if Lebanon had made the final of the 2009 European Cup. If they had been runners up, they would've been in exactly the same position as the Cooks.

#38 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 03:56 PM

A "talk shop" is a place where people talk and nothing actually happens. We have had a relatively successful RLWC. The profits from which will be spent on having an actual bricks and mortar location . For the first time . If the NRL can be dissuaded from making it a "talk shop" there might somehow be a possibility that International Rugby League can exist that suits their parochial agenda.

#39 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:25 PM

http://www.abc.net.a...expanded/340994

The WC was always arranged to only have 2 qualifiers as the link above shows, I assume based on the costs of the 2008 qualifiers which were fairly extensive. The 10 teams from 2008 all took part, but the criteria for the other 2 was never really set out until Wales and the Cooks were announced as the 2 other automatic selections.

Interesting to see that Lebanon were hoping to be the 12th team, but as we know it was given to the Cooks. I wonder what the RLIF would've done if Lebanon had made the final of the 2009 European Cup. If they had been runners up, they would've been in exactly the same position as the Cooks.

Interesting why the costs were deemed too 'high', anyone know how much they spent? It's a shame they have so many auto qualifiers, because part of the excitement of a WC, is qualifying and earning your place there. Hopefully the amount of qualifiers isn't over 50% next time around. I'd like to see Lebanon qualify for 2017, they've been unlucky the last two times and it will help open up RL to the Middle Eastern and Arabic market, with Al Jazzera and other broadcasters. The next qualifying tournament could possibly be the biggest ever, with nations like Canada, Malta, Greece, Spain, Ukraine, Latvia, Ghana, Bosnia etc now eligible to enter the qualifiers based on the criteria. 

#40 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:10 PM

Interesting why the costs were deemed too 'high', anyone know how much they spent? It's a shame they have so many auto qualifiers, because part of the excitement of a WC, is qualifying and earning your place there. Hopefully the amount of qualifiers isn't over 50% next time around. 

My point on the costs involved in staging qualifiers was purely an assumption on my part. I've tried looking for anything that might back my point up, but drawn a blank. None of the reports about the 2013 qualification even raised the issue of why most of teams were automatically qualified. 

Looking through the 2011 and 2012 RLIF Annual Reports though it shows that between 2010 and 2012 some AU$600,898 (about £332,000) was spent on 2013 WC Qualifiers. That was basically just 9 matches. 2008 qualification had 24 matches. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users