Ideas for International game

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#41 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:47 PM

I saw this: "And here’s the biggie: he is also concerned at rumours that only full member nations will be allowed to compete in qualifiers for the 2017 World Cup – which would effectively mean Italy and the US being booted out of the tournament." http://www.smh.com.a...0508-zr68s.html

That would be awful and would rule out Canada, USA, Italy, Greece, Ghana, Spain etc meanwhile nations with poor development like Ireland and SA that are listed as 'full members' would be allowed to compete. 

EDIT: Along the lines of that article "The Tomahawks are run by the AMNRL. The rival USARL is understood to have applied for membership to the RLIF. If this is granted, Johnson fears all the good work done putting together the side that made the quarter-finals of the World Cup will be lost." That would be a good thing actually, the first thing they should do is give actual Americans a call up to the national team. 

Edited by londonrlfan, 09 May 2014 - 07:49 PM.

#42 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 01:00 PM

Interesting article. Hopefully that's just a rumour about the qualifiers. If I've got this right, there are 18 full members of the RLIF, and if we work on the basis of the RLWC having 14 teams again, 4 teams would miss out. Considering South Africa, Russia, Ukraine and Serbia are full members, I'd say its fairly likely they'd miss out. Jamaica and Lebanon would doubtless qualify simply because of the amount of heritage players they have, and the rest would be the same as last year (except Italy and US). 

Disappointing to read about the decision on RLIF funding has been delayed again and the Samoa v US game has been cancelled. This is why the Celtic nations haven't got anything lined up yet either. Presumably Nigel Wood and Dave Smith were too busy congratulating each other on their appointments to make any actual decisions at the recent RLIF meeting. 

Edited by thirteenthman, 11 May 2014 - 01:00 PM.

#43 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

Interesting report on the recent RLIF meeting from a Russian perspective which confirms the idea about full member nations playing in the 2017 RLWC:-

http://rrlf.ru/soves...2014-avstraliya

#44 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

Yeah I can understand their point, as they have to come up against teams full of heritage players, but going only to full member nations won't stop nations like Lebanon, Jamaica, Ireland, Tonga, Samoa, CIs etc filling their teams with heritage players from the SL and NRL. There needs to be a limit on the amount of heritage players used, as I think nations would stronger domestic competitions need to be rewarded, rather than just picking full members, many of whom are quite suspect given their domestic competitions and lack of development. That said nations like the Czech Republic, Greece, Ghana and the USA (USARL rather than AMNRL) would be quite closer to obtaining full membership, so maybe they should wait until 2016 before announcing the qualifiers, if they're going to just have full members. 

#45 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Something needs to be done so that nations who aren't able to roll out a load of Aussies/Kiwis/Englishmen every 4 years and actually put in the hard yards of developing their own are actually rewarded for their efforts. I'd go with the full member nation idea for the RLWC if they were planning some sort of parallel tournament for the affiliate and associate nations. 

#46 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Reading this weeks League Express there's an interview with Nigel Wood that pretty much confirms that only full members will play in 2017, and that 8 teams will probably automatically qualify, most likely the quarter finalists from last year. The only problem with that would be the US. Some other interesting comments about a possible World Nines next year as well.

#47 jus de couchon

jus de couchon
  • Players
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:17 PM

If the RLIF is serious about International Rugby League they must abandon the notion that "heritage" players in any way give credulity to it.

#48 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:25 PM

Reading this weeks League Express there's an interview with Nigel Wood that pretty much confirms that only full members will play in 2017, and that 8 teams will probably automatically qualify, most likely the quarter finalists from last year. The only problem with that would be the US. Some other interesting comments about a possible World Nines next year as well.

So that would be 9 teams then if you include PNG, far too many for a 14 team tournament. It's a shame they've changed the rules now there are more affiliate members, I'm guessing they don't want to pay for anything then. Are they going to start picking which full members can enter in the next one? What are they going to do about the USA: either grant the USARL membership or have no USA in the WCQ? A massive market to not have representing you in a WC. I don't think we can call it a 'World' cup if we're just going to have teams from two regions. 

#49 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Wood did say when asked about the US that they could always apply for full membership. Otherwise, they won't be in. You'd like to think they'd just go with 7 automatic qualifiers, but they'd probably change the rules so they had 8 auto qualifiers regardless - most likely hand picking PNG. 

He also said that 14 teams were locked in for 2017 because of TV contracts etc., but expansion may occur in 2021. 

#50 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:18 PM

The AMNRL aren't eligible for full membership based on the criteria, but the USARL would be. It depends who they decide to choose, I hope they don't just pick the AMNRL because 'they were there first'. The AMNRL aren't even affiliate members, so they should never have been allowed in the WCQ on that basis. 

Selling the 2017 TV rights already is one of the stupidest ever moves. That means the likes of the USA won't be able to watch the tournament again. #####ing joke!

#51 dude02

dude02
  • Coach
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:47 PM

The AMNRL aren't eligible for full membership based on the criteria, but the USARL would be. It depends who they decide to choose, I hope they don't just pick the AMNRL because 'they were there first'. The AMNRL aren't even affiliate members, so they should never have been allowed in the WCQ on that basis. 

Selling the 2017 TV rights already is one of the stupidest ever moves. That means the likes of the USA won't be able to watch the tournament again. #####ing joke!

why wouldn't the US be able to watch the tournament? If some TV channel from there would want to broadcast it they could buy the rights for the US market from however has them. Don't hold your breath about it happening though. 

#52 brooza

brooza
  • 4,453 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:46 AM

It likely just means they've sold the TV rights to the host nation as they're the ones that will be doing most of the work around it (ie filming and commentary), and most countries will just be buying their feed

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#53 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 11:51 AM

Fox sports extra which is a channel in the USA have been showing many many NRL and SL games this season. I just watched the whole of the magic weekend on that channel. I don't know if they would over the WC though.

#54 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:30 PM

Fox sports extra which is a channel in the USA have been showing many many NRL and SL games this season. I just watched the whole of the magic weekend on that channel. I don't know if they would over the WC though.

We sold the WCs 2013 and 2017 as one package though, that's what I'm complaining about, no other sport in the world does that. It also means once again only England games will be available on the BBc and the rest will be on Premier Sports, if they'll even still be around then. 

#55 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 01:36 PM

http://www.theguardi...ic-weekend-fair

This article pretty much confirms it will be only full members in 2017. "Only full members can compete in the World Cup now, of which there are just 18. Active countries not in that group include aspirational Malta and Canada, plus two of the success stories of the 2013 World Cup: USA and Italy, both of whom have two domestic competitions."

And then there's this:

Steve Mascord ‏@therealsteavis  14h

Today in @RLWFarandWide page 92 of @LeagueWeek - how the RLIF has schemed to stop countries using their fulltime pros in WC qualifiers.

@packnaught I think the RLIF want the strongest countries in the World Cup - not the countries that sent most people to Oz 50 years ago

I think they seem to be only picking on Italy and the USA with regards to their WC squads, but what about nations like Ireland, Scotland, Lebanon, Tonga and CIs who will be heavily reliant on NRL and SL heritage players for their squad? I can't see how Ireland would qualify with only locals up against nations like Russia and Serbia. Then again, others would disagree, but I'd rather see nations like Serbia at the WC than Ireland, due to the huge difference in development. 

#56 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:44 PM

Thanks for the links. Steve Mascords comments about the 'strongest nations' are more than a little ironic, particularly if it's only picking from the 18 'full members'. Maybe the RLIF should have a look again at what exactly qualifies a country to be a full member. 

Edited by thirteenthman, 22 May 2014 - 06:45 PM.

#57 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,685 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

We sold the WCs 2013 and 2017 as one package though, that's what I'm complaining about, no other sport in the world does that. It also means once again only England games will be available on the BBc and the rest will be on Premier Sports, if they'll even still be around then. 

The Union World Cup signed a contract for both the 2011 and 2015 tournaments with ITV at the same time in 2010. In fact the previous deal was for 2 tournaments as well.  

#58 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:37 PM

I take your point. Fox may have ancilliary secondary rights to the US market. I hope so.

#59 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,837 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

http://www.theguardi...ic-weekend-fair

This article pretty much confirms it will be only full members in 2017. "Only full members can compete in the World Cup now, of which there are just 18. Active countries not in that group include aspirational Malta and Canada, plus two of the success stories of the 2013 World Cup: USA and Italy, both of whom have two domestic competitions."

And then there's this:

Steve Mascord ‏@therealsteavis  14h
Today in @RLWFarandWide page 92 of @LeagueWeek - how the RLIF has schemed to stop countries using their fulltime pros in WC qualifiers.
Steve Mascord ‏@therealsteavis  13h
@packnaught I think the RLIF want the strongest countries in the World Cup - not the countries that sent most people to Oz 50 years ago

I think they seem to be only picking on Italy and the USA with regards to their WC squads, but what about nations like Ireland, Scotland, Lebanon, Tonga and CIs who will be heavily reliant on NRL and SL heritage players for their squad? I can't see how Ireland would qualify with only locals up against nations like Russia and Serbia. Then again, others would disagree, but I'd rather see nations like Serbia at the WC than Ireland, due to the huge difference in development.

They need to make these countries full members asap then. Italy has many clubs, the US is growing, Canada is also very pro active and Jamaica have leagues, schools, colleges and already play an international schedule. Ireland seem to be dropping back or stagnating to be fair. Do they meet the qualifications for full membership.

#60 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 23 May 2014 - 03:29 PM

They need to make these countries full members asap then. Italy has many clubs, the US is growing, Canada is also very pro active and Jamaica have leagues, schools, colleges and already play an international schedule. Ireland seem to be dropping back or stagnating to be fair. Do they meet the qualifications for full membership.

I don't think Italy has enough clubs to be full members, even including the 'rebel' teams. Also their season isn't long enough either, it has to be over 10 weeks and they have no youth. The USARL would meet full membership, but the AMNRL wouldn't be able to. Canada will need to run a youth league and a reserve league to be full members, Jamaica already are so there'll be fine. Ireland has no junior development, though they've just started up something. Their domestic league also isn't longer than 10 weeks, so realistically they shouldn't be full members. The same is true with South Africa as well, no junior development. Not really sure on Samoa, Tonga or the CIs, as we never hear anything from them. I think that the Czech Republic and Greece are close to full membership, with domestic teams, reserve leagues and they are working on junior development. 

This is what was in Steve Mascord's article:
"Far&wide can reveal that the WC qualifiers will take place in July -deliberately ruling out full-time pros from taking part.
The federation sees this as a way to ensure the strongest countries get through, rather than the countries who can call on the most heritage players from Australia and England.
We are also told there will be a new qualifying group in Africa and the Middle East, which should make it easier for the well-organised South Africa to get through.
But when it is announced that the top seven teams from the last world cup will qualify for the 2017 tournament, watch out for the fireworks - make that "rockets' red glare" - from America. On points difference in the quarters, they finished eighth.
Without coming out and saying so, the RLIF is hinting with this development - along with the stipulation that only full members can take part in the next tournament - that having Italian and American sides stacked with expats last year was a mistake."

I think they're wrong there tbf, if the USARL are accepted membership, then I can't see why the US would fail to qualify with a homegrown team, as they have beaten Canada and Jamaica regularly with domestic players. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users