NRL Expansion Optimism

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,390 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 10:07 PM

Davis Smith seems very optimistic about the expansion of rugby league.

http://www.brisbanet...0224-33d5p.html

Reasons to be cheerful.

#2 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

Yes, happy days. 

What i do know is the game is now in good hands. Dave Smith, Jim Doyle, Todd Greenburg and a few more top of their profession types for the digital and i.t networking, "facebook Twitter".

With the backing of Telstra, the job is made even easier. 

Their are now many areas that are looking good as in expanding the game. All-stars, Nines, WCC, all can be improved on over the next few years. Fitting them all in is the biggest problem, as we have to keep the internationals for end of year growth. 

Expansion is going to be interesting. 

Dave Smith has already made mention of bringing the expansion teams into the second tier NSW and Queensland cups maybe next year.

This would be a fantastic idea. Example..., Perth, Wellington and a Central coast team join the NSW cup, Central QLD and Brisbane bombers and maybe Toowoomba (yes i know they wont be entering, but they want to join the QLD cup) join the Queensland cup.

This will give all the expansion teams a feel for what will be expected of them, plus it will show the support and what each team can bring to the game, bring to the table. 

Great idea, plus it creates a lot of media interest and hype. 

Dave Smith really seems to know what he is doing, i never doubted Jim Doyle, he has always shown he is a great administrator.

I think the game needs another team from Melbourne to enter the NSW cup. Maybe Casey. 

I like this story, they really know their up against it now 

http://www.theage.co...0224-33d3w.html

Edited by oikee, 25 February 2014 - 12:17 AM.

#3 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

Australian rugby union in 2003 had a 80 million war-chest ready to crush the NRL

Australian rules come 2012 had a 200 million war-chest ready to crush the NRL.

Australian soccer bought David Gallop and proclaimed their were ready to crush the NRL. 

2014,,, the NRL reinvests 1 billion into the game. On top they are setting up a 80 million investment futures fund along with a 120 million 'stadiums', 'grass-roots' and expansion plan outside a already fully funded salary cap rise and second tier states investment, Which will make up the 1.2 billion the broadcast deal invested into the code. 

This is outside the 100 million + a year the NRL make in memberships merchandise and events (origin,all-stars, finals, etc). Pays for wages promotions equipment etc..

2014 looks to be shaping up as the best in NRL history and after the four nations is done and dusted, all the talk will be about expansion expansion expansion. 

Happy days. 

Edited by oikee, 25 February 2014 - 02:28 AM.

#4 808tone

808tone
  • Coach
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

Yes, happy days. 

What i do know is the game is now in good hands. Dave Smith, Jim Doyle, Todd Greenburg and a few more top of their profession types for the digital and i.t networking, "facebook Twitter".

With the backing of Telstra, the job is made even easier. 

Their are now many areas that are looking good as in expanding the game. All-stars, Nines, WCC, all can be improved on over the next few years. Fitting them all in is the biggest problem, as we have to keep the internationals for end of year growth. 

Expansion is going to be interesting. 

Dave Smith has already made mention of bringing the expansion teams into the second tier NSW and Queensland cups maybe next year.

This would be a fantastic idea. Example..., Perth, Wellington and a Central coast team join the NSW cup, Central QLD and Brisbane bombers and maybe Toowoomba (yes i know they wont be entering, but they want to join the QLD cup) join the Queensland cup.

This will give all the expansion teams a feel for what will be expected of them, plus it will show the support and what each team can bring to the game, bring to the table. 

Great idea, plus it creates a lot of media interest and hype. 

Dave Smith really seems to know what he is doing, i never doubted Jim Doyle, he has always shown he is a great administrator.

I think the game needs another team from Melbourne to enter the NSW cup. Maybe Casey. 

I like this story, they really know their up against it now 

http://www.theage.co...0224-33d3w.html

I still think Sydney has too many teams in tghe NRL but would love to see fans back the 2nd tier NSW/QLD teams e.g. like Newtown, Redcliffe and maybe some of the teams in the Newcastle and illawarra comps as places like Toowoomba are to small for the NRL but neverless they should have a team to be proud with.

#5 londonrlfan

londonrlfan
  • Coach
  • 842 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'd love for the expansion teams to be Perth and Wellington/Christchurch. Two new markets and areas to sell the sport to. Another Brisbane or NSW team just seems dull. 

#6 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

I still think Sydney has too many teams in tghe NRL but would love to see fans back the 2nd tier NSW/QLD teams e.g. like Newtown, Redcliffe and maybe some of the teams in the Newcastle and illawarra comps as places like Toowoomba are to small for the NRL but neverless they should have a team to be proud with.

Agree, and Toowoomba will never have a team in the NRL, nor would they want one. They do want a team in the Queensland cup though. 

The Queensland cup is a very good comp. With entry into the Queensland cup you become a feeder team to a NRL club, so you get benefits from being in the Queensland cup, plus now if you win the Queensland comp, you then go into the Super Bowl play-off against the winner of NSW cup on NRL Grand Final day. 

That is a very big cherry. huge cherry for the second tier comp. Imagine Toowoomba, or even PNG playing in Sydney on Grand final day. 

This is a game changer for the NRL.  cheers.

#7 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,478 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:01 AM

Agree, and Toowoomba will never have a team in the NRL, nor would they want one. They do want a team in the Queensland cup though. 
The Queensland cup is a very good comp. With entry into the Queensland cup you become a feeder team to a NRL club, so you get benefits from being in the Queensland cup, plus now if you win the Queensland comp, you then go into the Super Bowl play-off against the winner of NSW cup on NRL Grand Final day. 

That is a very big cherry. huge cherry for the second tier comp. Imagine Toowoomba, or even PNG playing in Sydney on Grand final day. 
This is a game changer for the NRL.  cheers.

Wait until they want promotion to the NRL proper as a reward for winning the second tier.

#8 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 01:58 AM

I'd love for the expansion teams to be Perth and Wellington/Christchurch. Two new markets and areas to sell the sport to. Another Brisbane or NSW team just seems dull. 

It might seem dull on the outside, but a second Brisbane team brings a wealth of options and positives to the NRL. 

Shores up our heartland and provides content for the NRL every weekend in Brisbane, instead of only every second weekend now for the Broncos who only play home-games once a fortnight in our heartland. 

The second Brisbane team will give the NRL 30 week coverage and stories for Brisbane. 

Provides a game every weekend for Brisbane, so fans or even neutrals wanting to see a NRL game will be able to attend, this has never been the case in Brisbane, and has let a huge market down from conference and business events in Brisbane to just normal celebrities who show up during the year wanting to watch a game. 

Derbies, this is a huge kicker for the code in Queensland, not just Brisbane. The Cowboys and Titans, along with the Broncos will all play another derby against the new team in Brisbane and their own cities (coast and Townsville), the cows could even take this game to Cairns. So lots more derbies between Queensland teams with massive Brisbane following. 

Sponsors lined up waiting for openings. It is a well known fact that sponsors in Brisbane get in line for openings to the Bronco sponsorships. 

Now they will have another option. 

The list is endless, juniors , players in and around Brisbane from Redcliffe, Redlands, Ipswich and Logan, all having second options to join a club in Brisbane. 

The list is endless for placing another team in Brisbane, and not much has to be done to make this a great venture. The NRL wont have to spend a penny. 

Edited by oikee, 26 February 2014 - 02:02 AM.

#9 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:03 AM

Wait until they want promotion to the NRL proper as a reward for winning the second tier.

We dont have promotion. So wont be a problem in Australia. Your either in or out. 

If your over-looked, you become a second tier team. 

#10 DiddyDave

DiddyDave
  • Coach
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

Reinvest the money into the grass roots of the game,that`s how the game will progress,not necessarily bringing more teams into the NRL. 16 teams is enough anyway,26 rounds,then the play offs to finish at the beginning of October as it already is. They introduced four new teams in 1995,Perth,North Queensland,Auckland and either the Crushers or Adelaide,but only the Warriors and Cowboys survived,both suffering serious wobbles along the way before appearing to be financially secure now,so expansion for expansion`s sake is pure folly. The NSW and Queensland Cups provides plenty of opportunity to rising stars to show what they can do as most of those clubs are feeders to NRL teams and the standard of footy is exceptional.

David Gallop is dreaming if he thinks the round ball code will take over in Australia,the standard is fourth division English at best. Rah rah is ######,we all know that,and Aussie Rules can`t try to expand further,or they`ll have too many teams in their comp,so a lot of their posturing is just that.  

No,as I say,look after the game more at schoolboy level,bring that cream eventually to the top and the game will stay in very good health.

#11 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:40 AM

Absolutely, the 2nd tier is a very handy and good comp. 

The Queensland cup is well supported, and with this new arrangement which includes the new PNG hunters into the comp, and all the teams having a NRL club to become feeder clubs, plus also having a playoff on NRL Grand Final day between NSW cup winner and Qld Cup winner, the game will only grow more than twofold once this is bedded down. 

This is visionary work being done by people in charge who know how to grow a sport, and where the new money and dollars are going to be made. 

All this work now will set the code up for the next 100 years. 

Happy days. 

Edited by oikee, 27 February 2014 - 04:41 AM.

#12 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:55 AM

Reinvest the money into the grass roots of the game,that`s how the game will progress,not necessarily bringing more teams into the NRL. 16 teams is enough anyway,26 rounds,then the play offs to finish at the beginning of October as it already is. They introduced four new teams in 1995,Perth,North Queensland,Auckland and either the Crushers or Adelaide,but only the Warriors and Cowboys survived,both suffering serious wobbles along the way before appearing to be financially secure now,so expansion for expansion`s sake is pure folly. The NSW and Queensland Cups provides plenty of opportunity to rising stars to show what they can do as most of those clubs are feeders to NRL teams and the standard of footy is exceptional.

David Gallop is dreaming if he thinks the round ball code will take over in Australia,the standard is fourth division English at best. Rah rah is ######,we all know that,and Aussie Rules can`t try to expand further,or they`ll have too many teams in their comp,so a lot of their posturing is just that.  

No,as I say,look after the game more at schoolboy level,bring that cream eventually to the top and the game will stay in very good health.

AFL have too many teams now. They will have to reduce to 16 teams in the future to stay healthy. 

Union cant survive by keep poaching the NRL's best players. It has been proven that the NRL does not buckle under the loss of our top stars, the next year we just produce a new lot and that will only increase as the NRL spends and funds new markets. And this brings me to where we should expand for now and why i think 20 teams with a conference of 2x10 will probably be the path the NRL go down. 

The next two teams should be Brisbane as they can double the growth of the code and shore up the Queensland market. That is a must for the NRL, they cant leave it any longer, the iron is red-hot. 

The second team should be Wellington, and i will explain why. 

The Warriors have a huge following in Auckland, which is the largest city in NZ. The second largest is Wellington, and is growing and will continue to grow with great facilites and a ready made audience. 

The NRL finds a lot of their players around this area, plus they have a local comp. 

The Storm use this area for their juniors a lot. 

A second team in NZ would grow a derby second to none, and also shore up NZ for the NRL. 

The NZ government wont be able to ignore this and will sink a lot of resources into Wellington. 

Ignoring rugby league in NZ, more so the NRL is no longer a option for the NZ government, this code is cashed up and means business, they realise this with the success of the Nines over their, so now is the time to strike. 

So, Perth will miss out for now, but wont miss out. Bare with me. 

Once these two new teams are bedded, which wont take that long in rugby areas, Brisbane Wellington both know rugby league, then the code can announce the expanded two team to make up the conference. 

Perth will be one team. The other is a toss up between Melbourne two or Adelaide. 

Which ever government throws the most money into the ring should get the prize, but watching them fight for the last team would be priceless. 

Happy days. 

#13 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

We dont have promotion. So wont be a problem in Australia. Your either in or out. 

If your over-looked, you become a second tier team. 

It's a commendable attitude and really the only way to build a viable and prosperous modern pro sport league.

It's clear that this attitude will not (sadly) grow organically in the UK so we need an administration with the courage and foresight to force it through for the greater good (including for the good of the objectors in the long-run).

Great thread, really enjoyed reading this and looking forward to the continued growth of the world's greatest pro sport competition.

#14 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:16 PM

If we're talking business, before you expand you would look at streamlining the existing franchises by culling any under performers

That brings up the old chestnut of too many clubs in Sydney.

Sort them as you would with any Chain and you won't need a twenty team two conference competition for the short to medium term. The new Expansion clubs would take the places of the three least efficient Sydney teams.

#15 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

If we're talking business, before you expand you would look at streamlining the existing franchises by culling any under performers

That brings up the old chestnut of too many clubs in Sydney.

Sort them as you would with any Chain and you won't need a twenty team two conference competition for the short to medium term. The new Expansion clubs would take the places of the three least efficient Sydney teams.

When you think about adding new teams to the NRL, we have 16 teams now. ll are pretty even in talent and we still lose some good talent and we are yet to grow more talent from areas where we can find more talent,,,,eg:-  NZ,,,,Perth,,,,Pacific islands and even France. 

Anyhow, getting back to 20 teams, i dont think this is too far off. We can easily grow to 18 teams. As you know, when you expand, you find players from anywhere and everywhere. I mean all the players who go off to union could be enticed back by the new teams and big contracts that will be afforded the two new teams. '

Imagine Sonny Bill, or Sam Burgess, or Israel or even Benji Marshal, not to mention maybe even a union player or two be courted to cross-over. 

So 18 teams come 2018 should be easily achieved and paid for if they are in the right place, and the right place can be any of the areas that want expansion. 

A second NZ team would be well received in Wellington, they have two bid teams already. I dont think sponsors will be a problem in NZ capital city. 

Brisbane will be paid for, they have sponsors the length of your arm crying out for a second team. 

So they will be 100% functional if and when they come in, plus the derbies and fans will be as sure as gauranteed. 

The central Queensland team has huge sponsors and a 100 million league tragic wanting a team in a area that is oozing with beef and mining and rail wealth. 

Then you have Perth, and they have a very large business push behind them as well. 

So 20 teams looks very achievable with-in 10 years time. 

On the other hand, and i have thought about this, if you wanted to go down the relegation pathway, then maybe we could have a relegation only for Sydney teams. 

I am not sure how many Sydney teams there are, 8 or 9. 

So what they could do is cut that back to 8, and the teams that miss out, well it will be one team that misses out, but you could bring back the Bears to make up the 10 teams relegation for Sydney. 

So 8 make the cut, and lets say every 2 years relegation, not every year. 

8 make the cut, two miss out, the two that miss out get put back after two years. 

That way the whole of the Sydney teams are always involved, either trying not to be relegated, or waiting to get back in after being relegated. 

But at least they would know they are coming back. 

So everyone is happy, the Bears, the fans, the clubs in Sydney. 

It is a idea i thought about to keep everyone happy,,,, in Sydney. 

#16 mt smart

mt smart
  • Coach
  • 598 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:01 AM

Creative thinking there Oikee.

I would love to see the Bears battle their way back into the comp.

#17 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,864 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:05 PM

Creative thinking there Oikee.
I would love to see the Bears battle their way back into the comp.

Me too but I can't honestly see it if ever happening whilst manly are in northern Sydney. Norths playing out of the north Sydney oval and manly playing out of gosford makes sense to me.

#18 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:59 PM

It's a horrible idea and misses the bigger point. Promotion and relegation isn't just about the pros of providing opportunity to the have nots (in itself a noble enough concept) - the damage it does to the wider competition is the bigger problem and the cons simply outweigh the pros. How would those Sydney teams recruit to the same extent as the non-Sydney teams who don't have relegation to contend with? They simply couldn't. How do they compete on a level and responsible financial playing field? They cannot. 

Apart from this, the whole idea is too convoluted and messy and would turn off the casual fan and potential new fans in new areas. NRL didn't get to this point by being messy, weak and muddy and by chopping and changing all the time. That's how Super League got where it is and what will send it slipping into the world sporting abyss in the next couple of years.

There used to more teams in Sydney when the sporting and financial climate allowed it. It now doesn't and there are fewer teams. Deal with it. There may be fewer still before too long as the sporting and financial climate changes still further. Deal with that also (or alternatively change the sporting and financial climate back again, if you can do this). No-one promised anybody anything and you cut your cloth according to what works best for the sport and its fanbase as a whole (and this includes its potential fanbase in new areas equally deserving of their chance as anybody else).

I am frankly fed up with bottle-feeding babies. Sydney will always have its NRL footy teams. It should have no more and no fewer than it deserves, like every other area of the NRL landscape.

#19 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 335 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 12:47 AM

Well i do know one thing. Expansion for rugby league, the NRL, just got a whole lot easier with the ammoncement today of the retirement of the head honcho of the AFL. 

Andrew Demetriou has finally thrown in the white towel. And why wouldn't he. He has travelled the world looking at the thriving EPL soccer league, and the NFL and their huge 100 billion dollar code and understood that his small end of earth code has buckleys and none of ever making a impact on the world stage. 

He milked millions out of this code for his wage alone, and had the media eating out of his hand as he told them of World domination and expansion throughoput the world, where-ever he went they were kicking sherrins and playing AFL. 

The reality in fact was a far bleaker picture. The weight of soccer, American footy, even hand-ball was a mighty hill to climb for his code. 

No, with the rise of the NRL in Australiasia and with two 38's fully loaded with expansion, Nines and a expanding four nations and Origins and World-cups to contend with, he did the honorary thing and threw in the white towel. 

He wont be missed by NRL fans, he could have the media eating out of his hand every day of the week. 

His fans loyalty to him knew no bounds, they had one-eye and rose coloured glasses. 

That 200 million NRL war-chest looks ever growing, it could reach 300 million before the next TV deal, which in turn could see the NRL injecting 500 million back into the code come 2018-2022 tv deal.

Hopefully the 2021 world cup will again be in England. We will fill the biggest stadiums this time.  

Happy days. 

#20 DlEHARD

DlEHARD
  • Coach
  • 178 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:03 AM

NRL desperately needs expansion.

Im encouraged by the idea of entering expansion clubs in a 2nd tier but the expansion window fast approaches.

I back West Coast Pirates and Brothers for expansion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users