TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Are Salford Contenders?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:55 AM

Do rival fans see salford as genuine Grand Final contenders?? Alot being said about how we will struggle if we get injuries but personally I feel we have a very strong squad, with alot of good young talent. Thoughts?

SalfordRedDevilsAreRising.

#2 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

No.

#3 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

No, Based on what?

#4 7723

• Coach
  • 768 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:12 AM

I think Salford will finish 8th or 9th so possibly a chance at the playoffs. I don't think they will challenge for anything this season though.

#5 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

No, Based on what?

They don't have the same quality throughout their squad as the top teams. Also some of their marquee signings (Hock, Chase) tend to be quite erratic and aren't the types to lead a side to the title.

On top of that, they've played the two worst teams in the league so far and have failed to impress against either. I'm not sure if I'd back Salford against Cas, Widnes or Hull KR at this stage, let alone Saints, Wigan etc.

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,879 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

Far, far too early to judge.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#7 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:24 AM

They don't have the same quality throughout their squad as the top teams. Also some of their marquee signings (Hock, Chase) tend to be quite erratic and aren't the types to lead a side to the title.

On top of that, they've played the two worst teams in the league so far and have failed to impress against either. I'm not sure if I'd back Salford against Cas, Widnes or Hull KR at this stage, let alone Saints, Wigan etc.

Wow we have not impressed?? Take it you seen both games? I was at both games and 1st half against wakey we more than impressed we absolutly dominated them, 2nd half we come out as if the game was won, and also lost players to injuries. Against Broncos we dominated them from start to finish and that was without 3 of our best players. Wakey are alot better than people are giving them credit for and will be safe from relegation this season, I would bet money salford at worse will finish top 8 this season with a good cup run.

#8 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:33 AM

I don't see Salford as title contenders. I think they'll get top 8 this year and improve as the season goes on but this year is too soon for me. A good cup run would be a possibility.

Thursdays game at home to Saints will be a good indicator of where Salford are this year and I would regard that as their first real test of the year.

#9 The Big Gun

The Big Gun
  • Coach
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:34 AM

Wow we have not impressed?? Take it you seen both games? I was at both games and 1st half against wakey we more than impressed we absolutly dominated them, 2nd half we come out as if the game was won, and also lost players to injuries. Against Broncos we dominated them from start to finish and that was without 3 of our best players. Wakey are alot better than people are giving them credit for and will be safe from relegation this season, I would bet money salford at worse will finish top 8 this season with a good cup run.

You beat Wakey by 4 points, and by all accounts they could have easily come away with at least a share of the spoils. I certainly don't find that impressive.

#10 BulldogBurt

BulldogBurt
  • Coach
  • 377 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:43 AM

So you yourself don't think they'll be contenders? There is a huge difference between 8th and title contenders and I'd agree with the previous poster who thought that neither result was impressive enough to warrant talking about Salford in terms of challenging for honours.
They're undoubtedly a much better side this year but you can't read much into the London result in particular as they look completely out of their depth, Widnes had a lot of first team players missing (Cam Phelps, John Clarke, Patrick Ah Van and Eammon O'Carroll off the top of my head) and still produced a more impressive result in terms of scoreline, although we had the advantage of a settled squad.
I'd envisage Salford being in what appears to be a battle royal for the 5-10 spots along with Cas, KR, Widnes, FC, Cats et al

#11 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

So you yourself don't think they'll be contenders? There is a huge difference between 8th and title contenders and I'd agree with the previous poster who thought that neither result was impressive enough to warrant talking about Salford in terms of challenging for honours.
They're undoubtedly a much better side this year but you can't read much into the London result in particular as they look completely out of their depth, Widnes had a lot of first team players missing (Cam Phelps, John Clarke, Patrick Ah Van and Eammon O'Carroll off the top of my head) and still produced a more impressive result in terms of scoreline, although we had the advantage of a settled squad.
I'd envisage Salford being in what appears to be a battle royal for the 5-10 spots along with Cas, KR, Widnes, FC, Cats et al

Personally I dont feel we will be contenders this year however we will make top 8 and also can see a good cup run coming, widnes were also at home and london from all accounts were massively improved against salford from the previous game against widnes. Even if were on the wrong end of a bad defeat to saints thurs I wouldnt be overly worried, we are likely to be without chase, sau and puletua for the game and I can imagine us getting much stronger as the season unfolds.

#12 MamaKangaroo

MamaKangaroo
  • Coach
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:08 PM

LD, you have asked a question but then got all offended when you didn't get the answer you wanted.

Not being a Salford fan I haven't seen any of there games this season, only what highlights have been available so am basing my opinion on that (just so we're clear).

No. Top 8 is do-able but you won't be at the GF.

#13 GeordieSaint

GeordieSaint
  • Coach
  • 5,049 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

Against Broncos we dominated them from start to finish and that was without 3 of our best players.

I am going to disagree with the following statement. I was at the game and the Broncos were not dominated by Salford; they played very well and competed with your team for long periods of the game, even bombing three clear scoring opportunites in the first half. However, what the game did show is that Salford were very composed and showed much ruthlessness in punishing London for every mistake or half opportunity. That was particular impressive in my opinion and just shows how far Salford have come in a very short amount of time.

Therefore Salford are very much a work in progress but the initial signs are good. A big test will be on Thu night against Saints... that will be a better judge of this Salford side and if they can be classed as a contender or not.

Kings Lynn Black Knights Rugby League Club - http://www.pitchero....nnblackknights/

#14 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

MK, I didnt get all offended in any way just wondering how a guy who hasnt seen a single salford game this season could claim we have not impressed?

I actually agree with you top 8, but wont be at the GF. We could however have a good cup run.

#15 EdinburghExile

EdinburghExile
  • Coach
  • 614 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

Top 5.

#16 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 227 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:35 PM

MK, I didnt get all offended in any way just wondering how a guy who hasnt seen a single salford game this season could claim we have not impressed?

I actually agree with you top 8, but wont be at the GF. We could however have a good cup run.

Given that most people on here haven't seen a single Salford game this season, it does rather beg the question of why you asked what people think of us in the first place.

#17 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

I am going to disagree with the following statement. I was at the game and the Broncos were not dominated by Salford; they played very well and competed with your team for long periods of the game, even bombing three clear scoring opportunites in the first half. However, what the game did show is that Salford were very composed and showed much ruthlessness in punishing London for every mistake or half opportunity. That was particular impressive in my opinion and just shows how far Salford have come in a very short amount of time.

Therefore Salford are very much a work in progress but the initial signs are good. A big test will be on Thu night against Saints... that will be a better judge of this Salford side and if they can be classed as a contender or not.

Fair point I personally thought we controlled the game well and were in control for almost the full 80 mins, and could of scored more points ourselfs but I heard london were much improved from the widnes game and they did bomb a couple of chances.

#18 The Bobster

The Bobster
  • Coach
  • 463 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thursday night may give an early indication.

Posted Image

#19 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

Given that most people on here haven't seen a single Salford game this season, it does rather beg the question of why you asked what people think of us in the first place.

Well fans can go off results and the squad on paper to base their opinions? So with yourself being a salford fan, whats your thoughts on what we can do this season??

#20 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,077 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:42 PM

How many people on here do you think have seen any Salford games this season?

We've seen highlights. We've seen the results. Not overly impressed or convinced they'll be anything more than mid table this season, like us.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users