Are Salford Contenders?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:52 PM

Salford aren't in the class of the top teams. 13 making debut in the first game and another 3 different faces on Saturday, makes it difficult to judge the season

Salford are still prone to making mistakes and are slow to clear the ruck, especially slow  at the play the ball if Howarth plays.

The team will improve as the season develops and the best we can hope for this season is a decent cup run.

We have the naughty boys and the injury prone to try to get through a season. The pack is bigger and stronger than any previous season and there is some flair within the ranks.  

anyone expecting a top 4 will be disappointed. Having said that, a huge improvement in skill and attitude from last season.

#22 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

It's not easy to get so many new players to gel, although Nobby has done this before in difficult circumstances. There are some experienced players in the squad and some volatile characters, plus the youngsters. Too early to tell how they are progressing. 

Given Nobby's experience I reckon a top eight place should be achieved, barring long term injuries to key players

#23 Red John

Red John
  • Coach
  • 226 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Well fans can go off results and the squad on paper to base their opinions? So with yourself being a salford fan, whats your thoughts on what we can do this season??

My thoughts are that prediction threads are just an opportunity for people to demonstrate that their knowledge of the sport isn't as broad or as deep as they like to think it is. I therefore don't predict. I'm fully aware of my limitations.

I'll go as far as saying we'll finish in the top 14, but no more than that.

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,016 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:24 PM

Do rival fans see salford as genuine Grand Final contenders?? Alot being said about how we will struggle if we get injuries but personally I feel we have a very strong squad, with alot of good young talent. Thoughts?

You ask ricval fans for an opinion then have a go at them by saying they haven't seen both games. I would wager that only Salford fans have seen both of Salfords games

You either want opinions or you don;t but don't get uppity if people don't hail the revolution

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 CiderWire

CiderWire
  • Coach
  • 146 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

You could compare Salfords situation to that of Warrington and Wigan if you like.

The latter two teams have been amongst, if not the, most consistant teams in all comp's for the last few years. Both have recently lost extremely influential players and are in the process of restructuring. As a result both have had a less than ideal start to the season. However, due to the strong foundation of players that still remain at both teams (O'Loughlin, Westwood etc) I'm sure both teams will get the formula right very soon.

Salfords situation is comparable in the way that it inversely mirrors that of Wigan and Wires. They have drafted in the influencial players in order to supplement a rather shakey original foundation. Therefore the building process will take a little longer. Nobby will get it right though.

This year - 7th or 8th at best.

Next year - top 6 if all goes well

If the foundation remains steady after the next two years then I believe Salford can start mixing it with the best.

#26 yipyee

yipyee
  • Coach
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:55 PM

I would say deffo a top 8 finish...

The play -offs depend on whos fit for Salford and your rivals...

I think making the GF is too far for them this year though!

If they get a lucky CC draw though who knows?

#27 LittleDevil

LittleDevil
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

How many people on here do you think have seen any Salford games this season?

We've seen highlights. We've seen the results. Not overly impressed or convinced they'll be anything more than mid table this season, like us.

My original question was asking if people considered salford contenders? Not if they had been impressed with salford in the first 2 league games?? Obviously we are only 2 league games in, so people would be basing it on the current squad on paper.

SalfordRedDevilsAreRising.

#28 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,596 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:09 PM

6-8th at best.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#29 walter sobchak

walter sobchak
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Can't see Salford being contenders this year but if MK stays true to his word it'll only be a matter of time(2-3) before Salford are considered genuine super league contenders.

#30 absentee thoughtlord

absentee thoughtlord
  • Coach
  • 250 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

They'll make top 8 this year, I'm certain. They may even sneak top 4. Grand Final, though? Not this time around (although I'd be really pleased if they did get there!)

#31 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

I'm personally glad to see Salford fans getting a little bit excited; God knows they've put up with some tosh down the years.

Having said that, there's a long way to go before we start worrying about the runners and riders. The first two fixtures have been hand-picked for Salford; now they get a real test against Saints.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#32 RedDevilution

RedDevilution
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

I can't see us being a contender this season!

I'm confident we will make the Play Offs and from then on you never know but it would be extremely difficult, with Play Off rugby you need players that have been there and done it and despite our recruitment in the pre season we have got talent but only a few players in the squad have experienced Play Off football regularly in their careers.

Completely rebuilding a squad has it's disadvantages as well as advantages, but I expect us to win more than we lose this season (for a change!) I can see us competing on all fronts from 2015.

#33 Leeds17

Leeds17
  • Coach
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

No!!!

Hanging on against wakey at home is a good indication.

I'am interested in Thursday's game against St Helens though, that will give us all a greater understanding of how far Salford have come.

#34 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 10,033 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:48 PM

My original question was asking if people considered salford contenders? Not if they had been impressed with salford in the first 2 league games?? Obviously we are only 2 league games in, so people would be basing it on the current squad on paper.

Hang on, a second ago we had to watch them. Now it's on paper? Make you're mind up.

I'm pretty sure you're clever enough to work out the by me not being impressed, I don't consider them contenders. Sorry if that upsets you, but it seems you came on here looking for a load of Salford hype and haven't gotten what you wanted or expected. I think you should get used to that feeling.
Posted Image

#35 RedDevilution

RedDevilution
  • Players
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

No!!!

Hanging on against wakey at home is a good indication.

I'am interested in Thursday's game against St Helens though, that will give us all a greater understanding of how far Salford have come.

All 13 players on the pitch were making their competitive débuts (or day-boos if you're an Aussie) for Salford that day so was always going to be a tough game. Yes we did have a South African camp and 2 pre season friendlies but nothing beats proper all out Rugby.

I'm confident we will get better through out the season as the players gel and understand each other more and we will be able to compete (not necessarily win) with any side in Super League. We need to use this season to build a solid foundation and kick on from there. I think 6th/7th is a realistic prospect for us. Though this season could be interesting and there could only be a few points between 1st and 8th.

#36 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Wakefield and London played so far, two expected wins.

Big test this week, which you'll fail to win, long season, may squeeze into the top 10

#37 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,744 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Wakefield and London played so far, two expected wins.

Big test this week, which you'll fail to win, long season, may squeeze into the top 10

Expected wins? can tell your not a Salford fan! We never expect to win

#38 johnh1

johnh1
  • Coach
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:02 PM

I am a lifelong Salford fan and would love us to be at the GF this year. I don't expect us to be there this year or even next year. But I might well change my mind by 10pm on Thursday.

#39 dibbley

dibbley
  • Coach
  • 109 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:45 PM

Love the direction Salford are going but this squad is never going to be in contention for the big prize.

#40 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,159 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:01 PM

Are Castleford contenders?

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users