RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Ivan Cleary: "We're playing too many International Matches"

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#101 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

They gave away the rights to Spike TV in the USA a couple of seasons ago. But that was a short-term, one-off deal.

I remember that, around this time everyone was complaining that we could watch pingpong handball and every other sport in the world and yet Origin was not broadcast anywhere basically. 

So one of Australia's top products and we could not have ot shown. 

Madness at the time. Now the game is sold on behalf of a international network selling agent. 

I am not sure what they get for this, it would not be a huge amount, at least the game is being shown. 

I just read that Maori free-to-air is getting all the warriors games this year, and another station in NZ is getting a extra free NRL game as well. They bought from Sky. 

Maori TV also get the super-league games and the local NZ junior comp i was reading. Happy days. 

#102 oikee

oikee
  • Coach
  • 325 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 10:40 PM

I disagree to be honest. Do you know why football hasn't traditionally dominated in China? It's because the Premier League and other leagues, won't give away their rights to China for free. China doesn't have a history of pay TV for sports and the government will choose which sports will be on free to air and they don't want to pay for the rights. Read here : http://www.bloomberg...-match-nba.html

That Spike TV thing with the NRL was a masterstroke, but the AMNRL decided to sell the rights to America One the following season. Foolish is an understatement. 

Either way, the NRL still has a product that the Chinese will like, and if and when we go to Chna, hopefully we can make the same progress as others now. Being on a equal footing helps, and hopefully we start taking our game to China soon. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users