Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

School fines

Have you ??

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 07:36 PM

So I decided to save myself £2500 when booking our family holiday to Florida.

We fly a week earlier before the Easter Holidays, hence the saving.

I've sent in the request forms asking for their blessing ( which we won't get)

We highlighted 100% attendance, excellent school reports and a last ever "Big" family holiday. None of this will be of interest, however made me feel better.

Have you done this since the new government ruling?
Have you been fined or report to the local council?
What do you think?

Look forward to responses, even the judgemental ones!!

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:43 PM

Fines? What the hell?

"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:59 PM

Fines? What the hell?

There's been over 600 fines handed out by local councils nationwide.

I've not been fined yet, but do expect to if the news is anything to go by recently.

So I thought I'd check with the good people of trl world!!

I don't mind a few quid, what does annoy me is, I have to pay for child care when teachers go on strike.

Rules are rules so I expect £60 per kid.

#4 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,982 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:00 PM

This is a can of worms. All rationality has gone out of the window with this one. Personally, I don't blame you.

However, if your children (I'll assume more than one) have GCSEs coming up this year, then now is a bad time to take a holiday. Lots of schools run booster sessions during the Easter holiday and your children will miss out.

More generally, you say your children have 100% attendance and good reports, so it sounds as if you and your family value education and your children, with your encouragement, will make up any missed lessons. A lot of parents do take the mickey with holidays, though, by taking their children out of school two or three times a year every year, and their children get the message that school doesn't matter, so their education is harmed.

From the other perspective, schools are under enormous pressure to get loads of A* - C grades at GCSE and some are running scared. One head this morning suggested that his job, and those of his staff, were on the line. I understand that he has deep concerns, but if a few (I know some schools face more than just "a few") term-time absences are going to scupper your school's results, there is probably something more fundamental wrong in the school.

Like i said, a can of worms. Enjoy your holiday, but do make sure your children catch up on missed work. As for the fine, I think you already know that you will just have to take it on the chin.

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#5 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:21 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply tony, I agree with you

We do value education, we're also very proud of the kids attendance records.

The youngest is in year 4 and ahead in all subjects, the school are happy with him.

Middle one has had his school parents evening tonight, first year high school and he's amazed me, he's a pleasure to teach and no issues, they were all impressed with him. I was thinking .... Wtf this isn't my son!! So proud of him as he's a typical boy, just can't believe how he's changed, he hated junior school.

Eldest is in the last year of high school, already achieved many GCSE's and started to revise for rest of the exams - I'm thinking the holiday is good timing for her to relax before the final exams take place, she does get stressed, so hoping this helps her.
My wife has said she'll give her calms, I just hope the holiday helps rather than the calmers, poor kid is constantly revising

#6 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

I think you think you are above the rules and wonder how you'll respond to your kids when they think the same.

LUNEW.jpg

#7 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:30 PM

We took our daughter out for a family holiday to Portugal last year just before the school hols. Same as you we filled in the form requesting the absence knowing full well they would say no. We weren't fined and heard nothing more of it. My daughter's attendance was always 98-100% and she was doing well in all lessons. This was infant school though so secondary schools may take a tougher stance.

28m391z.jpg

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

I think you think you are above the rules and wonder how you'll respond to your kids when they think the same.

I understand the consequence, my kids understand what I'm doing.

in fact, the youngest is annoyed as he'll miss out on his gold certificate for attendance for the year.

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

The new rules are utterly idiotic as far as I can see.

Perversely, I think they'll actually legitimise taking kids out of school. People will start to see the fine as a fee that you add on to the cost of your holidays.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:17 PM

So I decided to save myself £2500 when booking our family holiday to Florida.

We fly a week earlier before the Easter Holidays, hence the saving.

I've sent in the request forms asking for their blessing ( which we won't get)

We highlighted 100% attendance, excellent school reports and a last ever "Big" family holiday. None of this will be of interest, however made me feel better.

Have you done this since the new government ruling?
Have you been fined or report to the local council?
What do you think?

Look forward to responses, even the judgemental ones!!

All the reasons for your holiday worked for us,sometimes common sense prevails.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#11 Bostik Bailey

Bostik Bailey
  • Coach
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:37 PM

Yep pay the fine. Cheaper than a Hol a peak time.

Keep the peak times, so us Jaffas can enjoy cheap hols whenever we want

#12 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:28 AM

I think you think you are above the rules and wonder how you'll respond to your kids when they think the same

If your willing to pay an extra £2500 for exactly the same holiday ,you're even more stupid than your post suggests.

#13 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,209 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

If your willing to pay an extra £2500 for exactly the same holiday ,you're even more stupid than your post suggests.

As usual, the middle class can always justify and minimise their law breaking and in the next breath castigate and condemn as feckless, lazy and stupid those in society who break the rules for survival and for whom a holiday of any kind is beyond their means.

Want an expensive holiday? Perhaps one should work a little harder!

LUNEW.jpg

#14 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:13 AM

As usual, the middle class can always justify and minimise their law breaking and in the next breath castigate and condemn as feckless, lazy and stupid those in society who break the rules for survival and for whom a holiday of any kind is beyond their means.

Want an expensive holiday? Perhaps one should work a little

Right on class warrior.Wake up pal,this is the 21st century.I know PMJ and like most on here ,he's an honest,hard working man,who,like most on here isn't prepared to be ripped off.It has nothing to do with class or castigating those that can't afford holidays.It's about being ripped off by holiday companies.Maybe,as you see yourself as a champion of the working class (as I and PMJ are) you'd be willing to donate the extra £2500 so his children don't miss any school.

#15 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:26 AM

Mixed feelings on this one; one the one hand I don't like to see folk being ripped off, but as Mrs Griff9of13 is a teacher (in Warrington as it happens) we don't get the choice of even paying a small fine and going out of peak season. And we don't even have kids. So, from a purely selfish point of view, if we can't, you shouldn't :P

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,139 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:48 AM

Spoken like a true blue Tory.

Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#17 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,509 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

Nothing to do with class, nothing to do with working harder, £2500 says it's worth while, however this will be a one off and not repeated.

The kids are fully aware they'll be doing some form of school work, wether it's revising, writing about their day or just basic reading, they will be doing it!!

Right on class warrior.Wake up pal,this is the 21st century.I know PMJ and like most on here ,he's an honest,hard working man,who,like most on here isn't prepared to be ripped off.It has nothing to do with class or castigating those that can't afford holidays.It's about being ripped off by holiday companies.Maybe,as you see yourself as a champion of the working class (as I and PMJ are) you'd be willing to donate the extra £2500 so his children don't miss any school.

Great post TWIG, well put.

If the holiday was only costing a few grand and it costs me 30/40% more that's the market of school holidays and like most parents I'm happy to pay that year in year out as I do and previously done.

Going to USA isn't cheap and paying 30/40% more on 8/9k holiday made my decision easier.

I've saved bloody hard to give my kids one final BIG family holiday altogether and if I didn't take them out of school we couldn't have gone...... Summer isn't an option, way too dear, next year no chance due to other circumstances.

Mixed feelings on this one; one the one hand I don't like to see folk being ripped off, but as Mrs Griff9of13 is a teacher (in Warrington as it happens) we don't get the choice of even paying a small fine and going out of peak season. And we don't even have kids. So, from a purely selfish point of view, if we can't, you shouldn't :P

Thanks griff, this is a post where I think my decision is wrong, selfish and should stick to the rules..... Like I said its a one off, and 100% understand you opinion. Thanks

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 26 February 2014 - 10:56 AM.

#18 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,642 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:11 AM

Thanks griff, this is a post where I think my decision is wrong, selfish and should stick to the rules..... Like I said its a one off, and 100% understand you opinion. Thanks

It was written with my tong planted firmly in my check. If you are happy it's not going to adversely effect your children's education go for it. After all, you are in the best position to make that judgement not us. 

Edited by Griff9of13, 26 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#19 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,050 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:20 AM

Its a free world and you can do as you like with your own money...but you take the consequences.

However, don't you think you are setting a bad example to your children, in saying that as long as you have the money you can break the rules, whereas the less fortunate, less affluent or more law abiding have no such freedom.  

In fact. I'm quite surprised that you have not been subject to the universal condemnation of the forum's moral police as you are effectively paying  for privilege, something that is anathema to all left-thinking posters.

Oh..hang on, if they did do that, they'd  be agreeing with Gove and for them that would be an even greater crime, even though fines for school absence were introduced by the Labour government in 2004 

#20 markleeds

markleeds
  • Coach
  • 1,641 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

If the premium for going away during the holidays was a few quid more then I would say that is acceptable, all companies exist to make a profit and optimise income. However some of the prices I have seen for within school holidays compared to in term time are scandalous.

I can't blame parents for taking their kids out of school for a week or 2. What are they really going to miss, another lesson in how to pass exams?

Edited by markleeds, 26 February 2014 - 11:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users