Kick off times

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,659 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:50 PM

Absolutely spot on. The club's lack of visibility remains appalling, yet there are salaried employees who - on the face of it, appear to be doing little in terms of improving the situation. In Batley town centre and the surrounding area there is absolutely NO indication whatsoever that Batley Bulldogs even exists. On the back of two major finals in four years, that's pretty staggering. Surely more can be done. As you say, we're a professional outfit - and a business. Although our finances are limited, more should be getting done in this area. Are those in pole position to boost our profile exploring the right avenues, and are they trained/qualified in how to do so? Given the fact that there isn't a single poster or advertisement on display in a town centre less than a mile from our ground, I feel that this is a question which must be answered. Maybe those concerned are working hard behind the scenes and I'm being overly critical? However, if they are, their current efforts are ineffective.

Reckon this sums up your situation - I regularly travel through Batley town centre, maybe three times a week, and I really wouldn't know you had a team if I wasn't a league fan. I went to Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago on one of my rare and reluctant excursions to that cess pit. Guess what - going through Ravensthorpe, I saw a huge banner advertising BATLEY BOYS - I will assume it was the rugby club and not a gay massage parlour. Point is, ii would seem that a Batley amateur club have made themselves visible in the back yard of the old enemy, while the dogs can't make themselves known on  their own front lawn. Just saying - (incidentally, until recently, we weren't visible in our own neck of the woods either).

Edited by grumpyoldram, 28 February 2014 - 10:51 PM.

#22 TheTerminator

TheTerminator
  • Coach
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 01:11 AM

Reckon this sums up your situation - I regularly travel through Batley town centre, maybe three times a week, and I really wouldn't know you had a team if I wasn't a league fan. I went to Huddersfield a couple of weeks ago on one of my rare and reluctant excursions to that cess pit. Guess what - going through Ravensthorpe, I saw a huge banner advertising BATLEY BOYS - I will assume it was the rugby club and not a gay massage parlour. Point is, ii would seem that a Batley amateur club have made themselves visible in the back yard of the old enemy, while the dogs can't make themselves known on their own front lawn. Just saying - (incidentally, until recently, we weren't visible in our own neck of the woods either).

What's most frustrating is that, irrespective of financial restrictions, increased visibility by way of posters and handouts wouldn't cost a great deal and would almost certainly be covered by even a meagre resultant increase in crowd numbers. In terms of boosting attendances, there appears to be absolutely no strategy whatsoever from those employed by the club. What's even more annoying is the yearly 'we need the people of Batley to stop sitting in the pubs and get behind us or we won't survive' spiel. Over the last four years we've had two fantastic opportunities to try and improve the situation and have seemingly done diddly squat by way of promotion and advertisementt in order to do so. I know for a fact that there is someone employed seven days a week, twelve months a year to deal with all affairs at the club. It would take less than a day to blanket ALL our town centre shops with game match day adverts. A4 size posters could even be produced using a simple-to-use piece of software like Microsoft Word and photocopied to save on production costs. That's all it would take at a bare minimum level. Given the current situation it appears that even such a basic operation is beyond capabilities.

Edited by TheTerminator, 01 March 2014 - 01:16 AM.

Posted Image

#23 Pride & Heritage

Pride & Heritage
  • Coach
  • 464 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:24 AM

I think a lot of the criticism spouted on here is unfair. We have 1 member of staff who is left to do pretty much everything at the club. Believe me, I worked for Huddersfield (pre Giants) for one season whilst going through college, and unless you have been in the environment, you really have no idea how much work actually goes on behind the scenes to run a rugby club.

To put it in to some kind of perspective, even back then, when Huddersfield had gates similar to ours, they had 4 full time members of staff to cope with the day-to day running of the club and they worked flat out 6 days a week.

It is very easy to come on here to criticise, but I do not see anyone stepping up to the plate and offering to help.

I feel sure that the club would be extremely grateful to hear from anyone offering to give up some of there spare time to help out and put ideas in to practice.

Edited by Pride & Heritage, 01 March 2014 - 02:30 AM.

#24 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:15 AM

Not entirely true about no one offering to help! I think that's the point though that it may not be the cost but the time needed to carry out even the simplest community outreach work.

Perhaps the members of the forum might be able to help? I remember a few years ago a few supporters posting season ticket pamphlets around the local towns.

I think Gary Coyle's information could be used to increase visibility in the town very quickly and simply.

I do think it's a shame we do not see any ' Welcome to Batley - home of the Bulldogs' type posters around town!

Again, l know that other clubs have 'forum organisations' that help - perhaps we all could help, despite our geographical diversity.

#25 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:41 AM

What about the supporters club? Do they have any involvement in promoting the club?

Now where did I leave that pointy thing that bloke Damocles gave me, I've work to do!

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb:

#26 Rab C

Rab C
  • Coach
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:09 AM

That's the problem tho. Yes the club rely heavily on its existing support base and band of faithful volunteers. But it's only so long hitting on the same hardcore support will last.
Last year the club did a sponsored walk / cycle ride for ground improvement fund "electric score board". I gladly chipped in sponsorship to individuals who made the effort for the walk. Where's the score board?

The club is a business. Correct? The fantastic BOD do a great job. Probably for very (if) any return. But surely, they must have a strategy to improve the club. We have a great little well run club, and recent achievements are there to be built on. I've suggested ideas before and ColinB they get put to the club. Again I've suggested more see last page. I'm no marketing guru by any means.

#27 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:17 AM

I believe a Swinton(?) supporter last year produced a match day poster which was published on their message board. Other supporters were then able to download this and distribute to their local shops, pubs etc.
Is there anyone out there willing to do this for the dogs?

#28 stevieb

stevieb
  • Coach
  • 229 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:08 AM

I actually mentioned to Iro early last year that if they wanted me to advertise any posters in my shop for home games ect,that it would be fine,never heard anything from it.

#29 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

I also seem to remember seeing a great idea for a mobile match day poster installation on the Hunslet site a couple of years ago. It looked very smart. If anyone knows people at HIST it could be worth checking.

#30 bromleybulldog

bromleybulldog
  • Coach
  • 333 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 11:30 AM

The Signs Are Looking Good For The Hawks.
17 December 2012

_343773.jpg

Hunslet Hawks are delighted to reveal our new mobile fixture advertisement trailer. The trailer is a first for the club and will be used primarily to promote home fixtures throughout the season as we look to increase crowds in 2013. The trailer which includes an action shot of 2012 player of the year Luke Haigh has a  frame size of 3000 x 2000, the printed area is 10ft. x 5ft with a spare area at the bottom 3000 x 500, for any promotions. The trailer will be positioned on some of South Leeds’s busiest commuter routes meaning that a target audience in access of a hundred thousand commuters per week will see the sign and the Hawks branding. 

Media & Marketing Director Gareth Evans said “We are delighted with the new sign, the club has often in the past been criticised for its lack of advertising in terms of the club and our fixtures in particular. This is an area we are trying to resolve as we look to increase awareness of the club and increase the number of people visiting the South Leeds Stadium in 2013 and we think the sign will go a long way to doing that. We have many plans and ideas on how we can build on this and we hope this the first of many signs, adverts and banners appearing across South Leeds in the near future. I would also like to thank Andy and Yorkshire Signs for their continued support.”

Andy Hemingway of Yorkshire Signs commented “We felt that the club should be advertising their home games to as many local people as possible, and the most direct method was to produce a mobile advertising trailer, that could be sited next to some of South Leeds’s busiest arterial roads”.

Please keep a look out for the sign, first person to spot the sign and email the club with its location will win a prize. email info@hawksrl.com

#31 phildog

phildog
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:07 PM

One thing that's getting overlooked in the kick-off time argument is media coverage. A 2 pm start is losing all exposure on radio, which we REALLY need, and Heavy Woollen hospital radio now only broadcast Dewsbury matches. When JD's programme starts at 3 we're already kicking off the second half and anyone working or listening in for some other reason hasn't a clue of how the first half went, who did what etc.

#32 DOGFATHER

DOGFATHER
  • Coach
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:06 PM

I believe a Swinton(?) supporter last year produced a match day poster which was published on their message board. Other supporters were then able to download this and distribute to their local shops, pubs etc.
Is there anyone out there willing to do this for the dogs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users