Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Info Please: THE POSH PENGUIN (Old Rovers Social Club)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:17 AM

Can anyone please help me with a book (1980's historical novel) I'm writing, as my memory from 30 years ago has gone a bit grey.

When was the old Rovers Social Club demolished, and what names did it have in the preceding years?

I can remember it being called the Posh Penguin, but I can't remember exactly when?

#2 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:53 PM

It burnt down round about the time your Ian played for Rovers, so he may know Steve. We had a night game vs Leeds in Sept/Oct 1984. Some mist, or smoke fumes came across the ground, and I can recall a fan on the POR end shout 'The Posh Penguin's burnt down again', this would suggest that the fire was before this date. The burnt out shell was still there in Feb 85. The Penguin I'm sure was still up and running in some part of the season after the Wembley win. I think it burnt down in 1984 Steve. If it's any help to your book the main stand fire was in Oct 85.

Hope this helps.

#3 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

I attended both of the fires mentioned, unsure of the actual dates, but I have some photo's I took after both incidents if they are of any use. I may be able to get the dates when I have time.

#4 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

I think the clubhouse may have had a minor fire and was renovated, thus the throw away comment at the Leeds game (sept/oct 84). I went to every game that season but used to pay in at the turnstiles near the allotments but on one occasion, The St.Helens game I think, Jan / Feb 85 Was a freezing day with the ground covered in snow I caught the supporters bus this day and paid in at the main turnstile, That's when, as I mentioned on a previous post first saw the burnt out shell of the clubhouse. Therefore I would say the PP fire was late 84, early 85.

The main stand fire was definitley Oct 85. I remember being at the match directly after it, we lost to Halifax ( The season they won the league) and I remember the gutted main stand being cordoned off. It was on my 19th birthday give or take a week or so.

#5 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,514 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

I think the clubhouse may have had a minor fire and was renovated, thus the throw away comment at the Leeds game (sept/oct 84). I went to every game that season but used to pay in at the turnstiles near the allotments but on one occasion, The St.Helens game I think, Jan / Feb 85 Was a freezing day with the ground covered in snow I caught the supporters bus this day and paid in at the main turnstile, That's when, as I mentioned on a previous post first saw the burnt out shell of the clubhouse. Therefore I would say the PP fire was late 84, early 85.

The main stand fire was definitley Oct 85. I remember being at the match directly after it, we lost to Halifax ( The season they won the league) and I remember the gutted main stand being cordoned off. It was on my 19th birthday give or take a week or so.

Your memory is failing you Andrew. The main stand fire was Feb 1985, in the previous season 84/85. I think the first home game after was Saints (Mal meninga included). We sat in the stand still, but towards the front becuase it hadn't been roped off.

I don't know the dates for the socail club, but it was before then. Maybe 84 or 83. It had more than one fire IIRC.

A Fev Blog

#6 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

The St.Helens game I mentioned in Feb 85 was when I thought I saw the gutted shell of the PP but as you say my memory fails me , it may have been the gutted shell of the stand that I was looking at. Something definitely happened though before the Halifax game in October 85, there may have been a second fire or it may have been the time when demolition was about to start. At the Halifax game there was no one allowed to use the stand, it was cordoned off and halfof the roof was also missing. Before this as I remember and as you say people were still using this stand.

#7 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,514 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:47 PM

Maybe. By the end of 84/85 we couldn't use the main stand and for all of 85/86 main stand members could use some old benchs lined up near the front of the bullock shed. That was not a good solution and we stood up all that year despite paying for stand seats. No problem for us really.

The new stand was opened v Halifax in August 86.

A Fev Blog

#8 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks for the input everybody, though its still a bit cloudy whether the PP was still open in April '84, the time I am writing about? I can remember the matches because our Ian was playing, he might remember where they went for a drink after the games?  I've also remembered my daughter used to go to the teenage disco's run by DJ Trevor Bailey who coached Wakefield, so I'll ask if she can remember when that was. Then there was Funky Fred's disco, (Fred Leake) or was that in the Central WMC?

I take it that it was definitely called the Posh Penguin at that time then?

#9 Wormy

Wormy
  • Players
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

Not Sure Of the exact date of the fire at the posh penguin but I remember we were having a pre season Home game on that fateful Sunday Morning... and seem to remember watching the opening
ceremony for the 1984 Olympics on the TV in the lounge the previous night ?

Perhaps someone can check that and see if the dates fit if that helps

#10 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:11 AM

Day we went to Italy ( Sorrento) Saturday 28th July 1984. My memory's dying but not yet dead.

Edited by Andrew Vause, 02 March 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#11 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

re the title of this thread. can i just say, the posh penguin wasn't my social club. thanks

joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#12 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:46 PM

Laughing at that old en.

#13 Maureen T-k

Maureen T-k
  • 5,196 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:04 PM

Can anyone please help me with a book (1980's historical novel) I'm writing, as my memory from 30 years ago has gone a bit grey.

When was the old Rovers Social Club demolished, and what names did it have in the preceding years?

I can remember it being called the Posh Penguin, but I can't remember exactly when?

Steve, I've been talking to Ian Dransfield tonight and he says if you would like to contact him he as some photos etc that you could see/borrow and other info, if you would like his number please inbox me
Im Fev and im proud

#14 firebasher

firebasher
  • Coach
  • 125 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

The main fire at the Posh Penguin was on a Saturday night, 28.07.84, time of call 23:48. There was also a smaller fire, I think it was a Saturday afternoon, 31.08.84, time of call 14:29. The fire that burnt down most of the main stand was if I remember a Tuesday night, 06.02.85, time of call 22:34. I have several photo's that I took of both incidents if they are of any use.

Attached Files

#15 Andrew Vause

Andrew Vause
  • Coach
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:47 PM

I bet the pool table in the first picture was 'out of plumb' after that.