A post from a fellow fan.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 roughyed34

roughyed34
  • Coach
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:05 AM

Hi all, Dave Murgatroyd who as im sure you know is a legend at Oldham with the support he gives and volunteer work he does for ORLFC has asked me to post this on his behalf. This guy works his socks off for the club, so no rubbishing points or personal vitriol please. All discussion is of course welcome.

Taff

Gaz this is not meant at you or any others of the regular guys and girls,

Good luck with it not turning into a CH witch hunt, it will do, I won't be there as you know I will be busy match days doing what little I can to help the club, like I was yesterday taking photos on my lunch hour of the people from groundwork who have been working on the ground, and pics of the new score board, and talking to the next set of youngsters from groundwork who are painting the stands. 

If the silent ones from the message board wanna help the club 
Bring a friend to the next home game, how can this club go forward with only 500 fans watching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,where are the silent ones crying for the past on Facebook after the final. Slagging the team of again same old oldham, same old moaning fans who don't come to the game and go on about the good ole days, well the past has gone watersheddings has gone, whitebank is not a patch on it either but it's our dump, 
Rochdale would love it, Gateshead would love it, and listening to the Swinton chairman he would love it as well. 
We are only going to get out of this league with hard work, from the team, the fans behind them, and the back room staff working hard as ever,
At the meeting gaz bring up ORSA and the squad builder see who wants to help with those. 
The club needs money and if anyone thinks the club has money think again, if anyone thinks CH takes it all out of the club, think again. 
I want to see this club back at the top, but I don't think I will, not unless I win the euro, 
Our fans are not really that fanatical. 
Just now and then when it suits them, most blame CH for not watching 
But truth is we don't watch CH play we watch the team, in red and white with our badge, the glazers are hated at Man U but they get 70,000 plus a game, they say, one love, one United, 
I say.......1 oldham rugby 
Our team our town 

See you all at the game.

#2 TOSH1960

TOSH1960
  • Coach
  • 442 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:14 AM

Murgy speaking lots of sense as usual. I hope something good comes out of the meeting. 

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:19 AM

the club needs money....yes it does

and if the membership scheme is adopted as described in the other thread then ORLFC could easily become one of the wealthiest clubs outside of super league...

and i'll got on record now and say i want chris to stay in place as CEO...but he can't do it alone anymore

my vision is the trust would supply "support staff"...i can do mondays & tuesdays for examle,ive said id take the lead role in the whitebank redevelopment,ive also worked in retail for 19 years...id get our merchendise on sale intime for christmas i can tell you that for nothing...

all in all my idea of the trust is all about UNITING FANS, HELPING ORLFC & CH

witch hunter im not

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE: "whitebank is not a patch on it either but it's our dump, 
Rochdale would love it, Gateshead would love it, and listening to the Swinton chairman he would love it as well. "

Sorry Dave, but Rochdale would certainly not love it.

Excellent, the passion written by Dave, a true fan of Oldham, I hope your wishes and dreams come true Dave, I sincerely do.

Kind Regards

The Baron (Hornet Fan to the core)

Edited by The Baron Mk11, 01 March 2014 - 10:31 AM.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#5 cluedo

cluedo
  • Coach
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:49 AM

Sorry but I believe if CH was to remain in any capacity the trust would not take off, I agree people support the team etc but a lot of people do stay away after having run ins with CH, the club has always needed money so how does the CEO manage to upset both sponsors, CH says he would welcome investment help etc yet puts stumbling blocks in the way every time. ORLFC once again is subject to a winding up order from HMRC is this the 3rd or 4th year on the trot this has happened. A lot of fans may be unaware but just after BQ left there was a meeting held in OlDham where 10 local people where prepared to put 10k each in to remove CH all they asked was to see the accounts to see what debt there was, surprisingly the man who would willingly step aside failed to produce them. CH is doing nothing more than securing his well paid job a lot of the debt will be in the form of directors loans probably down to deferred wage payments! like a lyric of a song once said you can fool some people sometimes you can't fool all the people all of the time! not witch hunting just giving harsh facts ORLFC have lost some 2500 - 3000 fans in the time Of the new club, I started supporting ORLFC in 1982 and from 84-2012 I missed less than 10 games home and away, I then decided to stop going as I firmly believe that there has not been any progress made and no signs of progress being made, Whitebank might be a home but it is also always going to be a drain on finances and there will never be enough in ORLFC. To get it to an adequate standard, the fact that the shower scenario is still going on sums up the current management of the club, a basic requirement of clubs entering Amateur leagues is adequate changing facilities with warm shower facility. I would be more than willing to contribute to any trust and admire your enthusiasm in trying to get one set up

#6 diehard 1

diehard 1
  • Coach
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:25 PM

i dont think there is a witch hunt and fans now want to help the club go forward by having a meeting and thrashing out the good and bad of what to do IF a trust is set up, and asking CH politely can they help, as he has asked for fans help in the past. i know what dave means about a witch hunt , cos yes like cluedo has stated there are people who chris has upset and dont want to come back, but theres no harm in trying a slightly different approach and trying to get them to come to a meeting, they dont have to go to the game just come and lisen and have a input, Just hope that IF something is worked out chris will lisen to whoever ,and have a good think about it, but i am glad dave has done the letter cos as roughyeds34 has said on a different topic we want people there with views for the pros and cons.

#7 oldham13

oldham13
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 12:54 PM

Well Said Dave, I agree with you.

It is far to easy for people to criticise but far more difficult for people step forward and make a difference.

The past is history, a proud history but never the less history.

I would be willing volunteer for the trust and also I would be willing to assist with all aspect of the trust / club.

Until the trust approaches the club to establish if this is a viable option, it is speculation that the Oldham chairman will not support this venture. 

if people want to watch professional rugby league in Oldham they need to attend matches and support the team.

I believe if you pay your money you can have your say, too many people come on this forum to express negative views but most of the negative view points are posted by people who contribute very little or completely nothing to the club. We are were we are, unless a person bank roles the club, which is not going to happen it is down to EVERYBODY to contribute in any way possible to make a difference to ensure we can firstly survive and secondly move forward.

We Are Oldham Roughyeds

#8 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:33 PM

I know that a lot of fans are frustrated and that Oldham has the potential to be up there with the best, but circumstance has dealt its hand and we are where we are. Chris Hamilton stepped up to the crease when we had no team, no hope, nothing. It does infuriate me when there are constant jibes about his integrity. If, and say if, he is being paid £100k per annum then he is being short changed. If I were to win the euromillions, like many, I would invest in the club. But I would make sure that CH was still CEO. He has experience, knowledge and contacts. So let's stop venting our spleens and get behind the club. If there is someway of increasing revenue via a fans trust then go for it. But you have to work WITH those running the club. Not against them.

#9 herbie

herbie
  • Coach
  • 249 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:37 PM

Hamilton out.

#10 OutsiderLookingIn

OutsiderLookingIn
  • Players
  • 68 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hi all, Dave Murgatroyd who as im sure you know is a legend at Oldham with the support he gives and volunteer work he does for ORLFC has asked me to post this on his behalf. This guy works his socks off for the club, so no rubbishing points or personal vitriol please. All discussion is of course welcome.

Taff

Gaz this is not meant at you or any others of the regular guys and girls,

Good luck with it not turning into a CH witch hunt, it will do, I won't be there as you know I will be busy match days doing what little I can to help the club, like I was yesterday taking photos on my lunch hour of the people from groundwork who have been working on the ground, and pics of the new score board, and talking to the next set of youngsters from groundwork who are painting the stands. 

If the silent ones from the message board wanna help the club 
Bring a friend to the next home game, how can this club go forward with only 500 fans watching,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,where are the silent ones crying for the past on Facebook after the final. Slagging the team of again same old oldham, same old moaning fans who don't come to the game and go on about the good ole days, well the past has gone watersheddings has gone, whitebank is not a patch on it either but it's our dump, 
Rochdale would love it, Gateshead would love it, and listening to the Swinton chairman he would love it as well. 
We are only going to get out of this league with hard work, from the team, the fans behind them, and the back room staff working hard as ever,
At the meeting gaz bring up ORSA and the squad builder see who wants to help with those. 
The club needs money and if anyone thinks the club has money think again, if anyone thinks CH takes it all out of the club, think again. 
I want to see this club back at the top, but I don't think I will, not unless I win the euro, 
Our fans are not really that fanatical. 
Just now and then when it suits them, most blame CH for not watching 
But truth is we don't watch CH play we watch the team, in red and white with our badge, the glazers are hated at Man U but they get 70,000 plus a game, they say, one love, one United, 
I say.......1 oldham rugby 
Our team our town 

See you all at the game.

dave, if I could like this a thousand times I would.

People have built CH up in their minds after listening to hear say, reading rumours and stories and biased accounts, into some sort of all powerful cash guzzling demon......I mean come on...do people REALLY think if he was coining it in, he would choose to stay at a place when he knows (he would have to be a blind and deaf man with  half a brain NOT to know) that people despise him. everyone claims to have heard this, or heard that, or knows someone who knows someone that saw someone say to their brother that CH did this that or the other.

Why on earth would anyone choose to be at a place that, Murgy quite rightly labels as a dump, but its our dump, with a team that plays their hearts out, yet never quite steals the rewards, with a dwindling fan base and a mob with virtual pitchforks and flaming torches, if he is apparently rolling in the moolah, which he is supposedly syphoning off the club?????

for ego??

I hardly think its an ego boost for him to be slated day in day out for every teeny little short coming that happens with the club....yup, the buck stops with him, but he aint donning a pair of shorts and running out on the pitch with the ball under his arm, Its hardly a power trip to constantly be short of money, and to NOT be able to do the things he wants at the club and with the club.

For the money??

Well according to people theres no money coming into the club.....the fans are getting less, which means the gate money is less, but there are still the same overheads...the players are still paid the same, the grounds staff, the stewards, the turnstiles, the corporate hospitality, the club staff and anyone else, are all the same weather theres 1000 people or 10 people at the match....as are the electric bills, the water bills, the payments for the social club, the pie wagon and so on......does chris hot foot it round the globe on his ill gotten gains like Oldhams version of Judith Chalmers (for those under a certain age...google is your friend!)

Because it makes him an international playboy and irresistible to women??

"Ey up love, come and have a free hollands pie, and a cup of Janets best Gold Blend, while you stand in the rain watching me lads get all muddy"....oh yeah....really knicker dropping stuff there!

people did not see how gutted he was when the lads lost at the play offs....crushed wasn't even in it.....and this, if I recall correctly, was the 8th time? why, if he was in it for the above reasons, would he subject himself to this EIGHT times?? Who, except a man with a genuine passion and love of the team he is TRYING to support and build, would put himself through this time and again......people are saying that the fans aren't getting the team they deserve, so they are staying away, and spending their money elsewhere.....does anyone see CH doing this???? when they lose a game, or don't win the playoffs again, does he think "ah sod it....i'll stay away too"

nope, he dusts himself off, braces himself for the next with hunt and comes back and does it all again....and again....much like the team, all of the paid and unpaid staff and the true fans

Daves right, if me or t'o/h won big on the euro, the FIRST thing we have said we would do is throw money into ORLFC...and w're not even from Oldham....I don't even follow rugby as a rule, and don't know the ins and outs of the game...doesn't stop me being an honourary roughyed, and being passionate and proud of the team, the staff, CH and the 'dump' that is Whitebank!

I shall now get down off my soap box and go for a nice calming hollands pie, and a cup of PGtips finest!

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 03:13 AM

ive tried to read that several times...still can't make head nor tail of it lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 Superdude

Superdude
  • Coach
  • 157 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:36 AM

Chris hamilton presides over a shambles. Its his making, his attitude and his fault we are so badly run. He may not be creaming millions for himself but hes been paying himself a decent butty while under performing in his job. He may look like he buys his clothes at a charity shop but hes had some money though his fat grubby fingers. If I had consistently under performed, routinly alienated customers do not think I would still be emplyed. A good club starts with the man at the top.

I hear that potential players have choeen other clubs over us because of ch and his poor reputation in rl circles.

#13 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:00 AM

Chris hamilton presides over a shambles. Its his making, his attitude and his fault we are so badly run. He may not be creaming millions for himself but hes been paying himself a decent butty while under performing in his job. He may look like he buys his clothes at a charity shop but hes had some money though his fat grubby fingers. If I had consistently under performed, routinly alienated customers do not think I would still be emplyed. A good club starts with the man at the top.

I hear that potential players have choeen other clubs over us because of ch and his poor reputation in rl circles.

sorry can't see any facts there!!! All hearsay and opinion. 'Fat grubby fingers' ??? So let's say Chris walks away, leaves the keys on the desk. Go on what are you going to do? Oh by the way every club has potential players that choose other clubs because of the CEO, the coach, the ground and yes even the fans. Get a grip. Pull together. Chris Hamilton owns and runs the club full stop.

Edited by The Art of Hand and Foot, 02 March 2014 - 09:08 AM.

#14 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:52 AM

correct....we have to work with him not against him

OLDHAM RLFC

#15 The Baron Mk11

The Baron Mk11
  • Coach
  • 792 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:55 AM

Excuse me sticking my oar in (but you know I have a soft spot for "The Old Enemy")

1: Although no one knows, because no one has ever seen the books, I think it is safe to assume the club has substantial debts.

2: The income coming into the club is finite.

3: CH has obviously invested in wages, you can not put a quality team with quality coaching staff on the meadow for peanuts. I know payers who have left clubs to come to Oldham because "The money is better"

4: With the funds available, after paying wages and God knows what else, it would appear there is nothing left for improving the infrastructure of the club.

5: The money given by the RFL to employ a CEO is for just that, it cannot be spent on anything else full stop.

6: CH was devastated to lose in the Grand Final, might I suggest it might have been more to do with the amount of prize money the club was to receive. I think the money the club got as runners up went on an outstanding tax bill, so there was nothing left to top up the club coffers.

7: Unless the clubs debts are cleared, Oldham will never be on a level playing field (sorry, didn't realize the connotation) with the rest of their division, unable to field a decent team, and improve facilities.

I know from this forum that CH is a love or loath person, but without him you would not have a club to support. CH, it appears to me, with the money available, has only two choices, put a good product on the pitch, or improve Whitebank's facilities. I think you can see which choice he made.

Just as an after thought, I was under the impression Oldham bought the stand from the willows, what happened to that?

Kind Regards

The Baron.

QUIS CUSTODIAT IPSOS CUSTODES

#16 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 11:18 AM

aaparently it was given to us....and rumour has it its been damaged some how...

and what you say about money going on the team rather than whitebank is nodoubt true..

all the more reason to give "a trust" xx% and let us develop whitebank

OLDHAM RLFC

#17 The Art of Hand and Foot

The Art of Hand and Foot
  • Coach
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:33 PM

Tbh I wouldn't bother with shares. just set up a ground trust. A trust that is totally independent of the club who's raison detre' is to provide funds for the improvement of spectator facilities. Such a trust may then also seek grants that will help further with ground improvements.

#18 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,043 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 12:43 PM

well...no...cos the trusts long term view would be to seize control of the club.........the key is to dangle a big enough carrot in front of CH for him to accept it..

i'll keep my powder dry until the meeting next week before i reveal how big the carrot is id want to propose.

OLDHAM RLFC

#19 HARRYRUBY

HARRYRUBY
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:20 PM

In order for the club to go forward there as to be changes.

I would presume that all fans agree that we need a input of finance.

That Whitebank needs to be improve to a better standard for professional sport.

There is no point in people saying that its the same old moaning fans who don't go to the games. The present club as been going for just over 16 years and we used to get 1000 plus fans at home games.

Ask yourself how many of those fans who attended the first few home matches are no longer with us.

How many are now to old or disabled to attend matches.

I would like to bet that they far outnumber the new fans that have started to come in the last few years.

Attendances have fallen for many clubs over the last few years. We are in a very competitive market in trying to attract people to pay money to watch a match in the present hard economic climate.

People say that people should stop the anti CH attitude and get behind him and in that respect there will have to be changes.

I am not being anti CH in making  the following comments, just being realistic.

There has been a number of directors who invested money into the club in those sixteen years who now have no involvement with the club.

The has been a lot of good sponsors who have withdrawn their support.

There are fans who are anti CH who no longer attend games.

At the matches you do not see the chairman unless you go into the sponsors bar. 

Despite the work Dave Murgatroyd does after the match ,and all clubs need people like him, it is only what many have done over the sixteen years, some fans may want to see CH who cannot afford to go in the sponsors bar.

No one can not say CH has not done a lot of good things for the club but for the club to go forward it is he who needs to do the most changing.

Despite the statement that CH owns and runs the shop whilst on paper that is true, he should not run it like its a secret society with only him knowing the situation.

He should be more open in regard to the situation of the club.

Let people know what the debts are and what plans are in place to reduce or clear them.

How have they arisen and can it be rectified in the short term or will it be long term.

No serious  investor will invest in the club without this information.

Discuss with potential investors how they see their role as potential directors/ shareholders to help with running of the club or do they just want to support the club without getting involved in its running.

All shareholders/directors should see the books on a regular basis in an annual General Meeting which is a requirement under law irrespective of how many shares any one person holds.

This has not always been the case as previous shareholders / directors have not seen any books.

What needs to spent on Whitebank and what is the time scale for the work to be done.

Sponsors are needed but to be treated with more respect than some have in the past and not expect them to give money year on year and be ignored when they stop.

Above all CH as got to realise it is not a one man club. It needs its loyal staff, its volunteers, its investors, its sponsors and above all else its fans without whom the club cannot have a future.

The only person who can provide this information to answer the many questions people ask about the club is CH.

He says he as the club at heart, I don't doubt he as, but for its future he needs to change or nothing will change.

Edited by HARRYRUBY, 02 March 2014 - 05:31 PM.

#20 eclecticsheep

eclecticsheep
  • Coach
  • 763 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

I mean, even if the news is "bad News" there could still be a plan developed for the benefit of the club as a whole going forward, no one could responsibly invest as things stand through nervousness of the improvement to the ground or whatever being used as an asset against undisclosed debt...the hmrc perennial issue being grounds for caution I would think!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users