Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Noise Cancelling Headphone

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 04:53 PM

I will be doing some long haul flights and would appreciate advice on noise cancelling head phones.  Are they any good?  Comfortable? Worth buying?  Are the earbud very different to the larger type?

Thanks!

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#2 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:02 PM

As is always the case; how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I swear by Soundmagic E10s earbuds, available for under £30. I will clarify, I don;t care for headphones, I find them uncomfortable.

#3 stimpo-and-kat

stimpo-and-kat
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

Got a pair of trusty Sennheiser earbuds and a set of Sony wireless full ear things. Both great quality but.the full ear.headphones do make my ears sweaty

#4 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:15 PM

As is always the case; how much are you willing to spend?

Personally, I swear by Soundmagic E10s earbuds, available for under £30. I will clarify, I don;t care for headphones, I find them uncomfortable.

Are they good for noise cancelling on a plane?

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

”I am all for expansion but not to start and string the teams all over the place” – stewpot01 – 11 July 2014

"2013 is on course to be one of the most disastrous in its history." - Creditwhereitsdews - 2nd January 2013

#5 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:22 PM

Are you looking for something to cancel out the warnings of impending doom before the plane plummets thousands of metres and ploughs nose first into a mountain?

Are you going somewhere nice. Have a nice journey! ;)

LUNEW.jpg

#6 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

I have used them on a plane on numerous occasions. They don't remove the hum of the plane, but all other noise is blocked.

A good article to assist you: http://blog.hifihead...ound-isolation/

If you want noise-cancelling Digital Silence seem to be one of the leading brands.

Edited by getdownmonkeyman, 01 March 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#7 Bob8

Bob8
  • Coach
  • 9,532 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:09 PM

Thanks, this is more bewildering than I thought.

I value peace over music quality.

#8 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

I have some Bose QC15.  Worth every penny.  The 'hum' is much reduced and the general noise is very well suppressed.

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#9 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

Yes, my old Bose - now knocking on ten years old - work a treat on planes.  The difference with and without (even without music) is remarkable.

If you are flying back to the US Bob8, the exchange rate made a huge difference when I bought mine in Chicago.

Edited by timtum, 01 March 2014 - 08:02 PM.

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#10 ckn

ckn
  • Admin
  • 16,916 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 07:42 PM

I had a good set of Philips powered noise cancelling earbud headphones, absolutely outstanding at stopping most noises including planes and trains but they just didn't have good music quality.  I've used Sennheiser earbud heaphones for years and was about to change to those Soundmagic ones based on recommendations from here when my wife treated me to new Sennheiser CX880 ones that have moderately good noise cancelling properties but have excellent sound quality.  The compromise is worth it as when playing music it acts almost as a complete noise cancelling effect, when just sitting with them in though they don't cut out the bigger noises.

Arguing with the forum trolls is like playing chess with a pigeon.  No matter how good you are, the bird will **** on the board and strut around like it won anyway

#11 timtum

timtum
  • Coach
  • 2,643 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:16 PM

Sorry, the obvious one with the somewhat bulky Bose is that they are a bit unwieldy to fall asleep with if that is your thing for flying.  

Mine used to be: get full of gin, on with the Bose, start the nasal symphony, land and off we go. (Often with a gentle, apologetic nod to my fellow travellers - not necessarily Weary Rhino)

In the South of France and fancy a banger?
www.mistersaucisse.fr
"Fine sausages for the discerning customer"

#12 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 08:29 PM

(Often with a gentle, apologetic nod to my fellow travellers - not necessarily Weary Rhino)

And to think I named my last son after you!

Edited by WearyRhino, 02 March 2014 - 07:44 AM.

LUNEW.jpg

#13 Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim
  • Coach
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 01 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

I do quite a lot of travelling and I've never really tried noise cancelling headphones but I've recently bought a pair of AKG K452 mini headphones which I used on a trip to LA and was really impressed, they bock out a lot of peripheral noise and the sound quality is amazing. They are very comfortable to wear for long periods too.

28m391z.jpg

#14 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,761 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:04 AM

I hear plenty of good things about the noise-cancelling technology in the Bose phones.

I suppose even they have to build something decent once in a while, even if it is by accident. :P

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,402 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 11:38 AM

I value peace over music quality.

Play some Bily Bragg on them, then.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users