TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

TotalRL NRL Tipping Competition 2014 Round 1 - ***Results Posted Individual Awards Presented ***

Thurs 6th - MOn 10th March

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: NRL Round 1 2014 Poll (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Which NRL R1 game will produce the biggest margin of victory?

1. Rabbitohs v Roosters (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Bulldogs v Broncos (2 votes [22.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.22%

3. Panthers v Knights (1 votes [11.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.11%

4. Sea Eagles v Storm (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Cowboys v Raiders (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

6. Dragons v Tigers (0 votes [0.00%])

7. Eels v Warriors (3 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

8. Sharks v Titans (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 R L Winger

R L Winger
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:48 AM

LOL I'm off to a great start maybe Las should change the comp to pick the losers

Posted Image

#22 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

Ouch ...

In which case I'm excelling  - 'unfortunately'. Manly have just gone down against my own team. Serves me right for tipping against Storm - I was thrilled to be wrong in this case!

0/3

Going well ... ... ... ... :ph34r:

ARLForumstrap2014_zps302d9d20.jpg   

*************** Disciple of Experience **************

#23 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 11:09 AM

Well done Panthers at least that breaks my duck!  Quack!!!!

#24 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 04:32 PM

The Manly v Storm match was defo a game of 2 halves!!!! ;)

#25 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:38 AM

Just seen the Eels v Warriors game. Another tip goes sour on me.

Eels were strong fast and hard while the Warrioors were always on the back foot in the second half.

That's the sort of Eels performance to put on at home which might just grow the attendance for the next home game from the vociferous 14,000+ there today.

Thanks Dragons your win will be welcomed by all apart from RF. That was a mountain of points.

I've yet to watch the game as it was on very early for a Sunday morning here. I'll play catch up with it later.

Plenty of points there though.

Halfback Michael Witt left the field with a dislocated shoulder, Jack de Bellin appeared to suffer a cork, while the Tigers lost Liam Fulton early with concussion.

In better news, Keith Galloway, David Nofoaluma and Tim Simona are all expected to be back this week for the Tigers.

Edited by G Las D, 09 March 2014 - 09:44 AM.

#26 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 10:10 AM

Ha ha ha!!! Dragons score doesn't really make much difference to what has been an 'opening' shocking wk end of Tipping for me!! :sclerosis:

#27 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:44 PM

As we move towards the final game in the round between Cronulla and Gold Coast it's that dark horse Barney who leads the way with 5 correct tips out of the seven so far.

He'll be topping the table by the close of play tomorrow.

Some others of us will be left to lick our wounds!

#28 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Good call by R L Winger to pick the Eels against the Warriors. Parra looked good value for their win. Mind you, as they beat the Warriors by a similar score last year on the opening weekend, I'm not sure whether that tells us much about either side. Never realised the Warriors have such an appalling record on the opening weekend. And did the officials have a bet on how many times they went to the video ref? 

The Dragons looked much improved and Gareth Widdop looks like a shrewd signing. I wonder if Craig Bellamy knew that Widdop could kick goals for fun? Can't recall ever seeing him kick for the Storm. 

#29 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:09 AM

Good call by R L Winger to pick the Eels against the Warriors. Parra looked good value for their win. Mind you, as they beat the Warriors by a similar score last year on the opening weekend, I'm not sure whether that tells us much about either side. Never realised the Warriors have such an appalling record on the opening weekend. And did the officials have a bet on how many times they went to the video ref? 

The Dragons looked much improved and Gareth Widdop looks like a shrewd signing. I wonder if Craig Bellamy knew that Widdop could kick goals for fun? Can't recall ever seeing him kick for the Storm. 

Gareth did kick some goals at Storm, usually when Cam Smith was off the field or crocked or during Origin. He's also kicked goals for England. I guess it's just not what he's best known for.

#30 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:15 AM

Well done Titans, that was a good away win for you to start the new season with.

It also rubbed salt in many of our wounds!

Well done to Oikee then who was the only one of us to tipped them as winners.

:good:

#31 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

2014TippingBanner01Ani_zps495b4837.gif

---RESULTS---
Rabbitohs 28 - 8  Roosters Home Win (Winning Margin 20 points)
Bulldogs 12 - 18 Broncos Away Win (Winning Margin 6 points)
Panthers 30 - 8 Knights Home Win (Winning Margin 22 points)
Sea Eagles 22 - 23 Storm Away Win (Winning Margin 1 point)
Cowboys 28 - 22 Raiders Home Win (Winning Margin 6 points)
Dragons 44 - 24 Tigers Home Win (Winning Margin 20 points)
Eels 36 - 16 Warriors Home Win (Winning Margin 20 points)

Sharks 12 - 18 Titans Away Win (Winning Margin 6 points)

NRL Round 1 Summary
Winners: Rabbitohs, Broncos, Panthers, Storm, Cowboys, Dragons, Eels, Titans
5 Home Wins
Points total: 349
Poll: Biggest margin of victory: 22 - Panthers v Knights

Tipping Comp Results /8:
thirteenthman 3
R L Winger 4
JimBronco 4
Barney 5
Stoney100 3
Southstander13 3
Simon Kerr 3
G Las D 3
Rugby Female 3
Kiwityke 3
Oikee 4
Bourbon Rat 4

Match Tipping:
There was one top scorer this week with 5/8 : Barney - well done on a tricky tipping week.

Points Total: There were 349 points scored in this opening round. The closest to this total was Simon Kerr (+3)
The Home Win comp was jointly won this week by - JimBronco, and Oikee correctly predicted there'd be 5 home wins.
Our Poll Comp had no winner this week as none of us picked the Panthers v Knights game would produce the biggest winning margin, on this occasion by 22 points.

Animated awards will be presented to this week's winners as soon as I've been able to create them.
Our Round 2 tipping competition will be posted shortly.

Congratulations to our  top scorers this week Barney
Thanks to everyone who took part.
B)

#32 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:00 PM

*************  ROUND 1  *************

------------- AWARDS ------------- 
************** R1Tipster2014_zps5e1bc880.gif **************

***** R1Points2014_zpse3263133.gif * R1Home2014_zps7bebc67c.gif * R1Leaders2014_zps00227ad3.gif  *****

Congratulations to Barney  our top scorer this week.

Our group strike rate was a struggling 42/96 or  44%
The Round 2 competition will be posted shortly.

The Tipsters' Ladder has been posted in a pinned thread

at the top of our forum  with the R1 results of our efforts.

Good Luck in  Round 2 everyone
B)

#33 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:29 PM

Well done Barney.  :)

#34 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:39 PM

Gareth did kick some goals at Storm, usually when Cam Smith was off the field or crocked or during Origin. He's also kicked goals for England. I guess it's just not what he's best known for.

Interesting. I've never really seen Cam Smith as a great goalkicker and given the amount of work he does in a game, I wondered why Bellamy never looked to get someone else kicking? Does Cooper Cronk kick any (again I don't recall him kicking), and who will be back up during Origin? 

#35 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:55 PM

I've the greatest respect for Cam as an all round player.

Perhaps one of his greatest strengths is composure especially in the big games.

All kickers have their highs and lows in kicking form.

I remember being at the World Club Challenge in Leeds when Storm played Rhinos and despite the hugely vocal crowd  he was able to shut the noise out and slot the ball through the uprights.

He's obviously rated highly as a player and a captain. His goal kicking is the icing on the cake.

He is of course the club's highest points scorer to date.

One thing for sure someone will step up eagerly to kick while he's away at Origin.

#36 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:06 PM

I wouldn't argue that Smith is a great player, my only point was that I don't feel that goalkicking is his strong point. Last year his goalkicking success rate was about 74%. The top kickers were much higher - Carney 93%, Reynolds 90% and Maloney was 87%.

#37 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:17 PM

Stats do bear your point out:

Cam Smith Yes, his average per season is about that mark too. When you look right back his season average peaked at almost 84% success rate in 2011 other than that he gets about 7/10 Overall average 72.61%

Todd Carney is generally better than that although some seasons he has made relatively fewer attempts. All the same in 2010 he got about 80% out of a big 119 attempts.

Last year he got a remarkable percentage of almost 94% though that was  on a lower number of attempts (45/48). His overall average is 78.32

Adam Reynolds Amazingly high overall average average of 87.56% success over his two seasons of kicking.

James Maloney had his best season in 2013  with an 87% success rate. His overall SR is almost 79% over his four season of kicking.

So  Cam Smith does have a lower average than the players you mention. He obviously isn't a bad kicker just not the most successful in the top company you mention.

You can say of Cameron, he may not be the most successful in each season - the point you make - on the other hand he's been Mr Consistency now for a lot of seasons.

Edited by G Las D, 10 March 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#38 thirteenthman

thirteenthman
  • Coach
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:09 PM

I just think that given that Smith captains the Storm and plays at number 9, so has a key role in how the team performs, if they had someone capable of kicking goals of at least the same competency as Smith, maybe it would ease the pressure on him and potentially give better returns for the team.

And Gareth Widdop did have a 100% goal success for the Storm in 2013. Mind you, he did only have 3 kicks all season... ;)

#39 G Las D

G Las D
  • 15,037 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 05:32 PM

There's the point really, Bellyache must think that Smith continues to be his best option and CB does run the show.

Maybe the reason is there isn't an obvious alternative. Cronk didn't take to goal kicking duties very well. Widdop has left.

Maybe Hampton or one of the other young guns will take over one day if they can establish themselves as definite first choice members of the team week in week out.

Edited by G Las D, 10 March 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#40 rugby female

rugby female
  • Coach
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 09:33 PM

Well done Barney. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users