TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Poor result.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:08 PM

Pity we cannot get points for first half leads.  A great start again.  No doubt we are still getting used to the step-up needed for this division, but 38 second half points shipped last week, 30 this week (at least it's going down) and nilled second half does not augur well for the next match.  It must have been hard to watch after the opening half, and especially not to get a bonus point.  So, it appears that defence and 80 min. fitness levels are currently lacking the requirements for this level - hopefully we can address the problems - very quickly.

#2 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:55 PM

Don't get despondent, remember the day last year at Leigh. The positive is you are playing the clubs the fans would like Hornets to be up against compared to the opponents Oldham will be battling against.

The negative perhaps is how a supporters co-operative competes at this level. That could be the interesting part for the outsiders looking in? If Hornets lose every game and break even would that be judged as success?

The reality is you will playing against clubs who will have benefactors on their board of directors who may be prepared to fund a dream, which may end up in tears. Dreadnoughts the Achilles of rugby league. I suppose it depends who you support at a given time.

#3 Pedro

Pedro
  • Players
  • 95 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:49 PM

The turning point for me was the introduction of Paul March for Keighley. He seemed to run the game. I think that we need an old experienced hand to steady the team at times. Whether we can afford one is a different matter.  

Incidentally the penalty count against us seemed to increase when March came on. Was he organising a very poor referee as well? I may be wrong but I don't remember either side being penalised for offside or not square at the play the ball. I can only remember this happening in one other match in 60 years of watching Hornets.

#4 Snoopy Loopy

Snoopy Loopy
  • Coach
  • 478 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

That day at Leigh last year we stumbled over the line and were the best of two poor sides - the championship is a totally different proposition

I will go back to what I said last year I think you need a coach with contacts capable of signing players who can do a job on championship

The fella selected for the role before saints got involved and requested "tol" be given the job would give us a much better fighting chance I'm sure

Also hope Houghy gets to do the after match comments when we have won - spoke very well

#5 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:10 PM

Don't get despondent, remember the day last year at Leigh. The positive is you are playing the clubs the fans would like Hornets to be up against compared to the opponents Oldham will be battling against.

The negative perhaps is how a supporters co-operative competes at this level. That could be the interesting part for the outsiders looking in? If Hornets lose every game and break even would that be judged as success?

The reality is you will playing against clubs who will have benefactors on their board of directors who may be prepared to fund a dream, which may end up in tears. Dreadnoughts the Achilles of rugby league. I suppose it depends who you support at a given time.

Why are you still going on about winning at Leigh??

Its a new season, and in the next one you will back with us, where you belong.

See you next year..xxx

#6 Larry Jones

Larry Jones
  • Players
  • 54 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

It is a Rochdale Hornets forum, and Rochdale Hornets earned the right to be where they are by winning at Leigh. I wish Oldham all the best but the reality is the club is at a stadium which is sub-standard at best, and is run on the whim of one hard working individual. At present Hornets look in better shape for the future.

#7 glemiln

glemiln
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:50 PM

Snoopy Loopy

I will go back to what I said last year I think you need a coach with contacts capable of signing players who can do a job on championship

With 4 down this season, our task to survive was made that much harder. Certainly, it's far too early to resign ourselves to that fate, but we either want to stay or not.  Assuming that we do, I agree, we certainly need someone within the coaching/player set-up (part-time or otherwise) with experience of this level and what is needed to survive.   If we start to think that Championship 1 next season would not be too bad a prospect, with a parachute payment, with three clubs in our 'area' joining us, and If we continue to play for 40 minutes or so, confidence will decline rapidly and the season will be over before it has begun!  Carpe Diem - Oldham may be promoted at our expense!

#8 BOLTON ROUGHYED

BOLTON ROUGHYED
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:57 PM

With 4 down this season, our task to survive was made that much harder. Certainly, it's far too early to resign ourselves to that fate, but we either want to stay or not.  Assuming that we do, I agree, we certainly need someone within the coaching/player set-up (part-time or otherwise) with experience of this level and what is needed to survive.   If we start to think that Championship 1 next season would not be too bad a prospect, with a parachute payment, with three clubs in our 'area' joining us, and If we continue to play for 40 minutes or so, confidence will decline rapidly and the season will be over before it has begun!  Carpe Diem - Oldham may be promoted at our expense!

Can't see Oldham finishing ahead of Hunslet and, as you all know, there's the question of our "stadium"...... for want of a better word...Although I'm sure you could all find alternative words.....!? 

#9 Tyrone Shoelaces

Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Coach
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

A bit of déjà vu. Same as last week, played good first half, fell apart in the second half. Turning point may have been when we we're clearly in front, we break clean away, Our left centre has a great chance to put the winger in for a walk in behind the posts. Instead of drawing the last man and passing he listens to the voices in his head that told him he was Mal Meninga and ran straight into the one man in front of him. 6 points gone begging.

Another turning point could have been when our fullback drops on a ball in our in goal area. One of our opponents goes in with both knees and takes him out. Result, a penalty under our sticks and the fullback has been seriously injured and can't carry on after half time. Our shining light at half back, Ryan Millard, who at that time was running our show has then got to play full back and our attacking impetus is lost.

Second half their scrum half puts a pass out that eventually they score from and convert but he's been taken out in back play. Referee awards a try and then sin bins our tackler. The guy that was late tackled gets up and plays on. Re the earlier incident were our player was deliberately injured and nothing happened. Strange. You may infer I thought todays officials were ######. You may not be far wrong.

There wasn't many plus points really today, first half good . Second half awful. Ryan Millard looked head and shoulders above the rest already. The tackle he put in in the second half when he nailed a break away winger down the main stand side had to be seen to be believed,

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces, 02 March 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#10 Hornetto

Hornetto
  • Coach
  • 3,161 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 04:26 PM

It's five down.

Posted Image
These Lads Can Run for 80 Minutes - the infamous Hornets fanzine is back from the dead: and just as biased as ever!
Match reports, previews and other stuff that comes into our heads at
http://theseladscanr...ns.blogspot.com

#11 HOLYMOLY

HOLYMOLY
  • Coach
  • 262 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Can I find the highlights of this game anywhere ? Many thanks .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users